Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #41 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
I'm oscillating back and forth about a tune because they had some sort of issue loading my fix and I have 10 uploads listed on the cpu. You supposedly can switch back and forth, but it leaves a count.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-25-2019, 07:09 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
I've got a good fix for ya here:

https://malonetuning.com/ecu-tuning/...tdi/20l-cr-tdi
Old 09-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #43 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

DOESN'T solve the firmware counter issue that I can see. Although it is moot here in Nevada as they only check for soot so far and if the ECU is in ready mode.

It is conceivable that I get a check engine light in Cali, and they refuse to fix it.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,177 Times in 807 Posts
On mine I could get the flashpack and upload the stock tune and download the custom tune wherever I wanted. So it could have the correct factory tune in place if I ever had to bring it in for service. Problem is the computer counts the flashes and the dealer has that number logged in the system. So it shows say 8 flashes as of last visit, you bring it back and suddenly it has at least 10 flashes logged. Well now you are obviously doing something outside the factory service centers. The dealers and the cars are much smarter than they used to be.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:59 PM   #45 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
What "problems" are you guys trying to fix with a flash? My "dieselgate" TDI runs fine.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:51 AM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I don't know how it ran before but I have heard it's not as smooth and quiet as before. It also lost at least 2 mpg according to many owners and the EPA. The EGR on a diesel was never a good idea for long life of the motor. I'd like to eliminate that.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:09 AM   #47 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

I lost 4mpg, it rattles where it used to be quiet, and is constantly regenning (about every 50 miles). Once a month I need to drive it through 2 regens so it clears something out and stops stumbling off idle in traffic. I am tired of having to let it idle for cool down in parking lots after a suprise regen start. If rpm falls below 800, it shuts the engine off, kinda bad juju in rush hour because it is a full key off process to restart, as it won't pop start.

Until the cpu settled in, it had twice the performance it currently has in "clean" mode, which is why we bought it in the first place. There are many on ramps in Reno that are short before having to merge left accross 2 lanes of traffic.

I am not an advocate of violating clean air laws, but someone ignored driveability in the fix.
MetroMPG (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 10:19 AM   #48 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

And a freaking dash light indicating regen start would be awesome.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #49 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
@ Hersbird. My old 2003 TDI is still driving around with over 400,000 miles. I sold it at 240,000 miles. I had the intake cleaned at 200K miles when the timing belt was done but it didn't drive any different after. EGR is required to meet even 20 year old emission standards.

@Piotrsko: Why do you want a regen light? It doesn't matter if you interrupt a regen cycle, it will just restart the next time the car comes up to operating temperature. You don't have to idle it and let it finish. Turn it off and the car will run the fan until things are cooled down. Save fuel by not idling.

There actually is a warning light if the regen can't be interrupted and must be completed.

Before and after testing shows small losses in HP and Torque after the fix. This one is 2.3 Hp and 8.3 lb-ft of torque. They also show faster 0-60 runs AFTER the fix because the DSG holds gears longer.

https://www.cars.com/articles/we-tes...1420699480602/

The only drivibility "issue" I have is that my car has too much power at 2,000 RPM. It lags a bit off idle and then the turbo hits and the wheels spin if I'm not careful. I drive the 2015 at it was a bit smoother but the tiny annoyance wasn't worth $3,000 and I didn't want to deal with DEF.

Here is the thing. Driving a "fixed" TDI is totally voluntary. Original owners could sell back their cars at a huge premium. Owners like me know exactly what we were buying when we bought it. It isn't like this was forced on anyone.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
@ Hersbird. My old 2003 TDI is still driving around with over 400,000 miles. I sold it at 240,000 miles. I had the intake cleaned at 200K miles when the timing belt was done but it didn't drive any different after. EGR is required to meet even 20 year old emission standards.

@Piotrsko: Why do you want a regen light? It doesn't matter if you interrupt a regen cycle, it will just restart the next time the car comes up to operating temperature. You don't have to idle it and let it finish. Turn it off and the car will run the fan until things are cooled down. Save fuel by not idling.

There actually is a warning light if the regen can't be interrupted and must be completed.

Before and after testing shows small losses in HP and Torque after the fix. This one is 2.3 Hp and 8.3 lb-ft of torque. They also show faster 0-60 runs AFTER the fix because the DSG holds gears longer.

https://www.cars.com/articles/we-tes...1420699480602/

The only drivibility "issue" I have is that my car has too much power at 2,000 RPM. It lags a bit off idle and then the turbo hits and the wheels spin if I'm not careful. I drive the 2015 at it was a bit smoother but the tiny annoyance wasn't worth $3,000 and I didn't want to deal with DEF.

Here is the thing. Driving a "fixed" TDI is totally voluntary. Original owners could sell back their cars at a huge premium. Owners like me know exactly what we were buying when we bought it. It isn't like this was forced on anyone.
Well the Cummins didn't get an egr until around 2006 and if they didnt go 400,000 miles the owners would think they got a lemon as over a million miles on the block, bearings, heads, rings, valves, was the norm not the exception.

You want a regen light because it doesn't happen very often you should let it finish. It might be 9 minutes into a 10 min event and it will have to start completely over the next time. Maybe your commute is just timed so you end up fouling the regen day after day. Like you said sooner or later it does give you a light but then it's a problem and in the meantime you might have been killing your MPG day after day with partial attempted regens.

On my CEL it turns out I need a whole new #5 injector, which the dealer didnt have in stock, and it's covered under the warranty. That warranty is the only reason the the original or fixed tune will stay. Even my problematic adblue heater and sensors are covered now for 4 years when original owners were made to pay for repairs outside of the original warranty as somehow that wasn't considered an emissions component. Now DEF "and related components" is listed in the supplemental warranty.

Reply  Post New Thread