Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Keep your toilet seat bolts tight?

I had never heard of toilet seats breaking, but it has now happened to us twice in ten months. The first time I used dollar-store white duct tape to prevent my sitting-down-side from getting pinched before I could replace it. I thought it was funny and made a "There, I fixed it!" post on Imgur.

They hurt my feelings and stuff.

I wish that I could remember what I thought caused the first failure. I tried to find my Imgur post, but I realized I deleted it when everyone called me a "Fat-sitting-down-side."

According to the U.S. military, I need to lose thirty pounds, but that is for someone that can do 34 push-ups, 38 sit-ups, and run two miles in 18:18.

I may be able to do the push-ups. I should be able to do way more sit-ups, that seems to be the only thing that I do well in life. I tried running almost two months ago, sprained my ankle, still walk with a limp, and it is still swollen.

Anyway, I doubt it is because I am 15% overweight (20% according to the BMI). This last time the bolts attaching the seat got loose and I kept thinking that I needed to tighten them. I am sure that allowed the seat to torque excessively.

So:
  1. Get around to things faster.
  2. Maybe don't purchase the cheapest toilet seat.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-24-2019, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Been there done... squat?

The last one I broke was an oak seat with metal hinges. I'd gotten it because it had five feet on the seat instead of three (thinking it would resist the torque better). But the metal hinge for the lid broke.

I got an exact replacement at Goodwill for $5-8 but I'm going to flat and clear coat it before it's installed.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Roomates broke 'em a few times. Got rid of roomates, no more breakage.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (08-25-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not Doug

Xist's Walmart toilet seat buying guide.

As far as I know, it broke under my brother each time. Getting him to sit down differently sounds as likely as getting him to rub his hands together before washing off the soap, turning on the light when he enters the bathroom (he will turn it off it is already on), or to go without asking permission.

I bought a new one this time. It looks like I paid less than $6 last time. It says "Molded wood." Particle board? No wonder it broke! They have a $13 one that just says wood and a $20 one that says "enameled wood." Yay! It has stronger paint!

As long as the paint holds it together we are fine!

Curiously, I knocked on each, and the more expensive, the deeper the sound. I showed Mom and she said the most expensive one sounded the best, since the sound of knocking on the toilet is the most important critereron!

Only the best for my family--I learned!
Old 08-24-2019, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I wonder how Bill Gates's toilet project could work to help african countries with poor water supply or no basic sanitation. His "nearly water-free" toilet project it's quite hight end. How much it will cost for african people in misery?
Who wil fix it, in places that are quite tribal, if they can't even fix a electric toaster?

I'm noit trying to make fun of Bill Gastes. His foundation it's quite important and have some nice ideas. But for the toiled in deep poor countries, the best solutions would be be simplest ones and not high tech projects for home devices in locations light years away from any workable technical support.

I saw video about a project for a small brazilian city in a very dry region, where suage was a problem and water for grow vegetable and fruits was also a problem, and they found a solution for both. They took the suage (no industry suage there to carry heavy chemicals) ande pumped it to large tanks (simple as large holes couvered with a waterproof mebrane) and each tank had a task. In one was like the organic matter was decomposed by micro organisms, and the others was for storage. This made the water not good for drink but good enough for plant and also made the water carry several nutrients for the plants. And the plants by own nature filter the water from pataologic micro organisms.
The result was a better way to deal with suage, low cost, and also help bring water and natural fertilizer to grow vegetables and fruits.

I'm afraid I got somehow off topic.
Xist, I have the solution to your problem !!

Just try the japanese toilet :

But please remamber to :

Last edited by All Darc; 08-24-2019 at 09:32 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (08-26-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not Doug

I am pretty sure that I previously shared a picture of a big orange traffic cone installed upside down over one of those weird floor toilets.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
A batch composting system built on the common 55-gallon drum requires no water or electricity.

All Darc —Tim Pool is saying The Amazon Forest Fires Are FAKE NEWS, This Is NORMAL, Its Still Bad But Happens Every Year https://youtu.be/T6A9PL2zyxQ

Farmers are burning croplands. That ended in the Willamette Valley when smoke drifted across the freeway and [70?] people died.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Roomates broke 'em a few times. Got rid of roomates, no more breakage.
That sounds like a better deal than "My wife put two gallons of milk in the door of our fridge and broke the door, so I got rid of her."

The house across the street just went up for sale and Mom keeps saying that I should buy it. I just started my second job, probably will not receive my first paycheck for a week or two, and since my main source of employment uses a 1099, my second paycheck is going straight into savings until I file taxes.

This house looks exactly like Mom's, except the colors are different, and she has a bay window in the front:

Is it weird I think the back of the house looks boring? I guess that Mom's does too, it is just a different color!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	l91f29e44-m1xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	26747  
Old 08-24-2019, 11:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

No fake news. There are a lot of farmer who don't give a damn to the laws and destroy land and fake documents to try to state the land belonged to them.

Our crazy president started with a politic that sounds like anti-ecologic and pro evil exploitation of Amazon, and probably the farmers felt free now to start destroy things.
Now there is no money to fight the fire, and our crazy president also got bad external politic relations and lost help from German and Finland, money that both countries would had sent to help Amazon forest.
Freak man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
A batch composting system built on the common 55-gallon drum requires no water or electricity.

All Darc —Tim Pool is saying The Amazon Forest Fires Are FAKE NEWS, This Is NORMAL, Its Still Bad But Happens Every Year https://youtu.be/T6A9PL2zyxQ

Farmers are burning croplands. That ended in the Willamette Valley when smoke drifted across the freeway and [70?] people died.

Last edited by All Darc; 08-24-2019 at 11:32 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 11:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

The position required to use the japanese toilets make the process easier, according medical science.

Maybe this is one reason why Japan had such great progress, since their people develop strong legs for their body (in proportion) and they take less time to number 2.

But they are working in seater version to keep the optimun position :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I am pretty sure that I previously shared a picture of a big orange traffic cone installed upside down over one of those weird floor toilets.

Reply  Post New Thread