Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #61 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
I would try to get one of those robot lawnmowers. I have some of the irobot roombas and they work great. You dont have to waste your own time and it just does its thing.
One of the few things I don't miss from the days I lived in a house instead of an apartment is mowing the lawn. But unless I had some specific reason to keep a lawn (such as having a dog), I'd much rather plant some fruits and vegetables, or flowers that wouldn't require too much trimming.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-18-2019, 06:23 AM   #62 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
One of the few things I don't miss from the days I lived in a house instead of an apartment is mowing the lawn. But unless I had some specific reason to keep a lawn (such as having a dog), I'd much rather plant some fruits and vegetables, or flowers that wouldn't require too much trimming.
Anything that takes away from the video screen is BAD!!

A lawn is a fine addition to any home. The basis for all other landscaping (as tree placement is primary there). Of what the lawn should consist, etc, is a separate question.

I find it sad folks don’t enjoy their homes. If they did, I wouldn’t see the freeways packed past 1900 weeknights, and again on weekends.

Why it’s considered “work” to mow a lawn is past me. Every four or five days was a norm as a homeowner in Texas. The houses I bought transitioned from near worst to usually “best lawn” in those neighborhoods in under two years. No big $$ expenditures past what’s necessary.

Use the brain: modify the lawn that the mower needs never be reversed. Easy lines and “corners”. And get the right-sized machine. Too big is worse than too small. I’ve had machines where twice expected engine life was no feat. Have a plan.

Prior to the ascent of TV (November 1963), it was commonplace to want beauty. Gardening or in music, it disappeared steadily and surely. Hire it out.

Eliminated all those cold starts? Kept yourself from driving anywhere on Sunday (except church) as a reward?

The garden IS the reward

Old 03-18-2019, 12:56 PM   #63 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Why it’s considered “work” to mow a lawn is past me.
I consider mowing the lawn work because there is not value returned. I spend time and money simply to fight the natural state.

Quote:
Prior to the ascent of TV (November 1963), it was commonplace to want beauty.
I prefer to seek beauty hiking a mountain pass, fishing in a stream, sailing a quiet lake, etc. I find no enjoyment pushing around a loud lawn mower.

Quote:
The garden IS the reward
A garden is completely different than a lawn. I have no issue planting and tending a garden or maintaining our fruit trees. That work has reward.

To each their own. I had an uncle that loved tending his lawn. He would walk it at least once a week killing individual weeds with an eye dropper. To me cutting lawns is work. (Maybe because it was one of my chores growing up and because I made money cutting lawns in my high school and college days.)
Old 03-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #64 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
I enjoy yard work, but I don't have time for it. I'll look into a robot mower when I move into a house. I've got a rental with a front yard that is difficult to maintain because it likes to grow moss in the shady parts, and clover in the sunny parts. I keep threatening to replace it with astroturf since there are some fairly convincing products out there now. The front yard is unusable anyhow because it's small and on a slope.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 03-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #65 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I enjoy yard work, but I don't have time for it. I'll look into a robot mower when I move into a house. I've got a rental with a front yard that is difficult to maintain because it likes to grow moss in the shady parts, and clover in the sunny parts. I keep threatening to replace it with astroturf since there are some fairly convincing products out there now. The front yard is unusable anyhow because it's small and on a slope.
I've thought of replacing my front yard with gravel landscaping and some drought tolerant flowers and bushes. I haven't yet because the amount of time it would take to ripe out the lawn and do the hardscape is the equivalent of years of mowing. The front yard takes about 5 minutes to mow since I already have the mower out.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
A backgrounder on the subject:

The USofA have more irrigated land under turf grass than corn?

Old 03-19-2019, 02:37 AM   #67 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,449 Posts
Quote:
A lawn is a fine addition to any home. The basis for all other landscaping (as tree placement is primary there).
Indeed. But I'd still rather plant something else instead of grass, preferably something edible.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #68 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I can access ethanol-free gasoline quite easily, several stations sell it on my commute.
Ethanol free around me costs more than premium, and is usually 87 octane. Its about a 60c premium over regular.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Old 03-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #69 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
@Daschicken there's like Shells around that have 90 octane ethanol-free. The extra money spent on ethanol-free is worth it when it's being used in a lawnmower because the carburetors go bad when exposed to ethanol gas.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #70 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
@Daschicken there's like Shells around that have 90 octane ethanol-free. The extra money spent on ethanol-free is worth it when it's being used in a lawnmower because the carburetors go bad when exposed to ethanol gas.
My Toro SmartStow mower works fine with E10. Manual says using E10 is fine. I top off as needed during the mowing season and run it dry before storing for the winter. 3 years and counting. Don't buy a mower from a company too cheap to pay a few cents to make it E10 compatible.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
slowmover (04-02-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread