Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2019, 10:11 PM   #81 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
On the subject of mowers.. Got a free mower from a neighbor a few days ago.

A John Deere LX188 circa 1997, featuring a LIQUID COOLED 437cc Kawasaki V-twin. I didn’t know liquid cooling was available for mowers like these! Definitely a lot cooler than the air cooled Briggs thumper in the also free snapper riding mower this will be replacing. Also has an actual oil pump and filter, the Briggs has neither. A comparable new John Deere would be nearly $2000.

The liquid cooling helps power and efficiency, allowing a 9.3 compression ratio and supposedly 245 g/hp/hr.

Edit: Maybe not all that efficient? Plugged that number into a calculator saying metric horsepower and it turns into 333 g/kw/hr, not really impressive.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1423F4E-499D-43D1-A9D7-4918AEF578BB.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	25741  

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Last edited by Daschicken; 04-09-2019 at 10:17 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Daschicken For This Useful Post:
slowmover (04-10-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-10-2019, 12:19 AM   #82 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Yeah but what state is the mower in? Free is a very good price. It looks like a great mower.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 04-10-2019, 07:00 AM   #83 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
That picture was after power washing it FYI. It had a weak battery, a potentially stuck starter, and a clogged pilot jet. Headlights don’t work, hood is cracked and missing the hinge parts. But otherwise it appears to be fully functional, coolant and oil were clean, so someone took care of it. Throttle cable is screwed up, so engine speed changes have to be done up front. But it runs!

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

The Following User Says Thank You to Daschicken For This Useful Post:
slowmover (12-14-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 04:20 AM   #84 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
FYI, water cooled mowers is a quite old. Honda mowers got all of those checks too, liquid cooled, oil pump + filter, twin cylinder, rubber engine mounts, shaft drive with a true gear to gear transmission but shifts like a hydro-static.

Not much goes wrong with these, deck rusts out after 20+ years of use if not cleaned ever, pto clutch + break generally is the first clutch to go and the second clutch, the drive clutch is the other wearable item. Change the belt every like 15-20 years and keep the fluids in check. Not sure if it's true, but I read that JD assisted with the design with Honda so probably why the two are similar.

Btw, did I say this was a mid to late 80's lawn mower? They also made some models in the 90's.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ps2fixer For This Useful Post:
Daschicken (12-28-2019), slowmover (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #85 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I consider mowing the lawn work because there is not value returned. I spend time and money simply to fight the natural state.

I prefer to seek beauty hiking a mountain pass, fishing in a stream, sailing a quiet lake, etc. I find no enjoyment pushing around a loud lawn mower.

A garden is completely different than a lawn. I have no issue planting and tending a garden or maintaining our fruit trees. That work has reward.

To each their own. I had an uncle that loved tending his lawn. He would walk it at least once a week killing individual weeds with an eye dropper. To me cutting lawns is work. (Maybe because it was one of my chores growing up and because I made money cutting lawns in my high school and college days.)

Sounds like time for an ophthalmologist. Vision problem. As with plenty of others here and everywhere it seems.

A lawn is simply part of the garden. Or connects different types. It’s the backdrop. The context. Square one.

I take it “you” (whomever) live in a brick chicken coop. Housing. Not, “home”.

And expect your car to change your circumstances. (Dead-wrong thinking; as it’s not rational).

As an adult I’d imagine any religious sensibility is different than that of childhood. So, too, here. Same words, but matured (broadened, deepened) meaning.

Making the job easy is the first step: Layout.

Second is best equipment for size (region plus storage).

Third is that it’s not a job separate from other duties. The household exterior always needs a looking-over. Walking around it doesn’t suffice as one is never in the flow of neighborhood breezes or events. Some birds are early. Some are late. Cats have a routine of wandering. So do dogs. Some of which you may wish to alter.

Your presence is required. “Presence”, in that only the stupid think a gym membership a good idea when anyone with a decent-sized hard can accomplish the tangible benefits of a workout. See results that aren’t born of selfishness.

The idea of isolation being a component of Beauty is also a half-step. A garden is where one can entertain. Offer hospitality. Teens hide. Adults invite.

Wealth is people. Not abstractions. Not money. The concrete here & now.

A lawnmower is a tool. Chosen well it can last a couple of decades. I’ve had several that did. And those machines never had a week off, were sometimes in action 2X weekly. Cutting grass or maybe vacuuming. Sometimes both.

The first year needs a plan. Powered aeration after layout, delivery of a compost/mulch mixture and correction of high/low spots. Is how I’ve learned to do it. Can be “work”. (So?). Done well there no longer any difficulty in mowing where one never needs stop. It’s just a walk. A flow.

Everyone wants an excuse. Their home, after all. And it’s why those houses are nearly always sad as hell to “see”. Drugs & video screen indoors with A/C to escape it.

What is it you do to improve your neighborhood? Tackle the alleyway? Dig out the grass growing in the street? Elderly neighbors who don’t have the energy to attend to tougher tasks? Fence repairs?

Do these make for a pleasant weekend? It’s at the heart of “living”. Invite those neighbors for a drink. Get them reacquainted.

Being a common sight on your street is advantageous 10-fold to perceptions.

Old 12-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #86 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like time for an ophthalmologist. Vision problem. As with plenty of others here and everywhere it seems.

A lawn is simply part of the garden.
Sounds like a question for an historian. The English manor house was surrounded by grounds, outbuildings and fields.

Over time that ideal was stripped of the supporting structures, and the grounds reduced to a strip of grass around the 'real' estate. Our last remaining connection to when our hominid precursors descended from the trees into the savanna. It's understandable how it's so deep-rooted (heh).
Quote:
Making the job easy is the first step: Layout.
No capes corners!
Quote:
What is it you do to improve your neighborhood? Tackle the alleyway? Dig out the grass growing in the street? Elderly neighbors who don’t have the energy to attend to tougher tasks? Fence repairs?
That reminds me, I raked the leaves out of the fence-row and left them on the sidewalk out at the street. I need to get a 5x7 tarp so I don't have to lift it all into a wheelbarrow.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:17 AM   #87 (permalink)
Banned

Team Cummins
A manor house isn’t the analogy.

Its farm house where control of dirt and vermin REQUIRES a surface that helps shed the first and highlight the second. That maintains a constant surface height.

The garden gate. Plants which impart a scent to offset the barn. Along sides or rear, herbs for cooking and medicine. A kitchen garden in back to supply the table. Trees for shade. Hedges to block winds. All fenced to keep out livestock.

Landscaping (drainage; rain plus septic) is as old as houses themselves.

Calling the whole a garden merely a way a denoting it’s relations.

Quit believing what that tribe publishes as history or cause. Use your head. To them the world is gaudy affectation.

Old 12-26-2019, 01:30 PM   #88 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Quit believing what that tribe publishes as history or cause. Use your head. To them the world is gaudy affectation.
Who be ' that tribe'?

I trace the more-or-less random thought to Lewis Mumford.
Quote:
Ideas
In his book The Condition of Man, published in 1944, Mumford characterized his orientation toward the study of humanity as "organic humanism". The term is an important one because it sets limits on human possibilities, limits that are aligned with the nature of the human body. Mumford never forgot the importance of air quality, of food availability, of the quality of water, or the comfort of spaces, because all these things had to be respected if people were to thrive. Technology and progress could never become a runaway train in his reasoning, so long as organic humanism was there to act as a brake. Indeed, Mumford considered the human brain from this perspective, characterizing it as hyperactive, a good thing in that it allowed humanity to conquer many of nature's threats, but potentially a bad thing if it were not occupied in ways that stimulated it meaningfully. [tell me about it ] Mumford's respect for human "nature", that is to say, the natural characteristics of being human, provided him with a platform from which to assess technologies, and technics in general.
——————————
Influence
Mumford's interest in the history of technology and his explanation of "polytechnics", along with his general philosophical bent, has been an important influence on a number of more recent thinkers concerned that technology serve human beings as broadly and well as possible...

Mumford also had an influence on the American environmental movement, with thinkers like Barry Commoner and Bookchin being influenced by his ideas on cities, ecology and technology. Ramachandra Guha noted his work contains "some of the earliest and finest thinking on bioregionalism, anti-nuclearism, biodiversity, alternate energy paths, ecological urban planning and appropriate technology."

Mumford was an inspiration for Ellsworth Toohey, the antagonist in Ayn Rand's novel The Fountainhead (1943).

Old 12-27-2019, 03:17 AM   #89 (permalink)
Banned

Team Cummins
Who has the land for estate landscaping? The views & vistas are impressive, but next to no one has the space necessary.

The City Beautiful movement of the late 19th tries to “see” neighborhoods thru a lense.

Even the largest suburban lots (5-acre) are closer to neighbors oft-times than to a street — due to utilities — and oversized lawns are failures in imagination. Conception ISNT easy.
But a start, isn’t (beds around house and tree groupings).

Who owns the publishing houses? It’s like asking who runs Hollywood. Assume that what you don’t need to know, you won’t.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:43 AM   #90 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
I'd like to get better at landscape design, but because it isn't a strong interest of mine I'm not likely to get very good. We've got an annual pass at the Oregon Garden, so there are examples of varieties and arrangements to use as inspiration.

At the moment, my priority is getting my home theater put together before Super Bowl Sunday. Springtime will be landscaping opportunity.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Reply  Post New Thread