Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I've taught a number of people to drive stick, each one took about an hour before they were master of the hill start.
First thing I did was find a high school parking lot and have them learn the clutch, no gas, just the clutch, they will stall the vehicle about 10-15 times and you need to tell them this, that they will stall the vehicle but it's part of learning how it feels to feather the clutch, after the new driver is good with the clutch then and ONLY then let them use the gas with the clutch, learning both at the same time can take hours, learning one then the other goes really quick taking only minutes, once you get up to the speed where you would shift then you let them press the clutch and coast, while you are learning to shift you can take your time but if you get it stuck in their head that they have to shift while coasting it's easier to master, shifting from 1st to 2nd is the hardest.
Because they are now good at feathering the clutch they are now going to be great at the hill start, find a hill on a back road, driveway, or some other out of the way place and start out the same way as learning the clutch only this time they are using the brake as well, once the clutch starts to grab have them switch their right foot from the brake to the gas...
As I said, I've done this with a number of people who have never driven stick before and it took about an hour each before they were good at doing a hill start.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
Rainh2o (01-06-2010), TEiN (01-06-2010)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
I taught my daughter to drive a stick shift in the snow, in the winter, in Alaska, when she was 12. Taught my son, stepdaughter, and granddaughter, too. I just told the latter three not to give it any gas at all. They learned to use the clutch to get rolling without killing the engine, and didn't have to worry about barking the tires.
That's how I was forced to learn, except in a dirt track car with too much power and not enough weight, on a gravel hill in a quarry.

I only remember specifically getting slapped in the back of the head for spinning the owner's tires up the hill, then being told to "Doe eeet right." (He's Dutch, not sure how to emulate that accent.)

I also heard alot of "Don' Berrrn my clooch", and "tekk it teasie nao, dats alut of horts puwre."

The DiNozzo slap was fairly uncalled for, though, and certainly less than helpful.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
...once the clutch starts to grab have them switch their right foot from the brake to the gas...
huh, I just use the hill brake on hills. put it in first, then rev it, release clutch and hill(parking/hand) brake almost simultaneously (well, rev then clutch then brake, but it is pretty fluid).
Old 01-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Teach a child how to swim by teaching them how to breath properly in the water.

Teach them how to drive a stick by teaching them how to engage the clutch without touching the gas pedal.

I'm with Ryland and Sentra on this one. Let them learn in a parking lot, with no other traffic around.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
TEiN (01-06-2010)
Old 01-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
huh, I just use the hill brake on hills. put it in first, then rev it, release clutch and hill(parking/hand) brake simultaneously.
That wouldn't work in at least 3 of my most recent vehicles. It was absolutely necessary in one of the first ones.

In the former statement, those vehicles didn't have hand brakes (or parking brakes at all, for that matter).

The latter, that one didn't have service brakes. I stopped it (and drove over 1,000 miles) with the hand brake and downshifting, only using the brake pedal to activate the brake light switch.

It started out that I couldn't afford to fix the service brakes, so I kept driving using the e-brake until I got the parts I needed. Then, I just got lazy because I was so used to doing it that way that I could drive/slow down/stop just as safely as most people do with service brakes. I learned about "cushion distance" in this car.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

I thought Rylands response was well considered too.

No comment on the missing emergency brake
Old 01-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
huh, I just use the hill brake on hills. put it in first, then rev it, release clutch and hill(parking/hand) brake almost simultaneously (well, rev then clutch then brake, but it is pretty fluid).
Learn to do it the right way, then learn to do it the easy way, otherwise you will never be able to do a hill start in a truck that has a foot E-brake, or any vehicle that doesn't have a working hand brake, I only use the hand brake for hill starts when I parallel park on a hill in a tight spot, otherwise it just takes to much time and requires you to put down your coffee/cell phone/leave the radio alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
TEiN (01-06-2010)
Old 01-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

lol, I didn't know the "right way" included juggling a cup of coffee and a cell phone But I have managed ok on the few trucks I've driven.

I use the handbrake a lot as part of winter driving (small fwd car) so it ain't no thing to save a tiny bit of wear on the clutch by using the handbrake to start up a hill, in my case.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
As a manual transmission San Francisco driver, I will never own any MT car with a foot-operated parking/emergency brake.

I will never drive or own a vehicle that doesn't have operating service and parking brakes, either. I bought a $1700, 4X4 articulated ATV that used a band wrapped around the driveshaft as its brake, except the band was missing. We got a Moose down (this was in Alaska), and I went back for the ATV to get it up to the Moose meat. I lost traction going up the hill, and accidentally got the ATV in neutral. It started rolling backwards and built up so much speed, I had to jump out between the roll bar and the windshield before it killed me. When I picked myself up, I walked down the hill, expecting to find my rifle on the hillside, and a wrecked ATV at the bottom of the hill.

Miraculously, the ATV had gently backed itself gently sideways midway down the hill, with my undamaged rifle still in the seat. Still shaking, I drove it down and parked it at the bottom of the hill, walked back up to my buddies with the downed Moose, and declared we'd have to pack the Moose meat to the bottom of the hill. I sold the ATV 18 days after I bought it, still during Moose season, for $2500. A tidy $800 profit for 18 days of ownership. But the $%^& thing nearly killed me.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 01-05-2010, 02:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tank - '76 Chevy El Camino Classic
90 day: 25.89 mpg (US)

Sabrina - '91 Mercedes Benz 190 E
90 day: 37.07 mpg (US)

Angel - '88 Mercedes-Benz 420SEL
Last 3: 23.01 mpg (US)

Quicksilver - '04 Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG Cabrio
I taught my self actually in a miata (baaaaad car for tall people by the way)

shifting is the easiest thing

when taking off you're just gonna have to give up ONE clutch probably haha that takes a while to get down

Tank:
(No actual EPA numbers for car just used F/E numbers when i first got it)
Reply  Post New Thread