Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2018, 07:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Winsight - '06 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 72.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Pretty light. I think my Insight's seats were around 30lbs, but they were terribly uncomfortable.

Overall the specs of his sports car sound similar to my Insight after the engine swap - just south of 1900lbs and north of 200hp, with 20 year old technology in all of it. I guess the trick is making it affordable.
They are the worst! It's like public transportation or amusement park seats meant to last many riders while not being hard plastic. I definitely remember them being over 30lbs and closer to mid 30s.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-08-2018, 12:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
20lbs is pretty light for a seat that is supported by a base, but it's not that hard to do. I think OMP seats are the cheapest FIA approved seats and the fiberglass ones come in at 23lbs. The carbon fiber ones come in under 15.

I still wish more companies would do the cushion on frame seat, I find all the adjustability in fancy new cars to be pretty silly. The most comfortable position is where you're leaned back a good amount, the knees are pointed slightly upward, and you can reach the pedals and wheel comfortably. The LaFerrari does this with moving pedal box, and I think the Ford GT has a normal bucket seat bolted straight in with moving pedal box (the rear of the seat is probably hooked into the roll cage I'm guessing so it's not dead weight).
Old 12-08-2018, 05:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I still wish more companies would do the cushion on frame seat, I find all the adjustability in fancy new cars to be pretty silly. The most comfortable position is where you're leaned back a good amount, the knees are pointed slightly upward, and you can reach the pedals and wheel comfortably. The LaFerrari does this with moving pedal box, and I think the Ford GT has a normal bucket seat bolted straight in with moving pedal box (the rear of the seat is probably hooked into the roll cage I'm guessing so it's not dead weight).

I can't sit in a car with the seat tilted back, it hurts my lower back. I need to be mostly upright. A more flat seat bottom also helps.

Swapping the seats out from my Insight got me the adjustability I needed to prevent backaches when driving, at the cost of added weight.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Some people need the adjustability, such as seat height, to see out properly. I'm tall so I always lower the seat down to lower the center of gravity. I sit upright for better posture and to keep my back happy.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 12-10-2018, 12:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Wait, sitting upright is comfortable for you guys even for long distance? I find the pressure on my lower spine starts killing me if I am sitting upright. I always adjust seats as if I'm in a racing bucket, because that's the only way I can sit in a car for a long period of time without back pain.

Reclined doesn't mean bad posture in a car, I think...the seat is supporting you, engaging muscles for a long period of time would be bad. It's different from sitting in an office chair designed for sitting upright in, where you can get up and move around frequently.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I have a light scoliosis, I need to sit upright as that engages the back muscles which help align the vertebra. I'm used to it now, I cannot drive long distances in anyone else's car if the seat is reclined. I need it up.

The best position for your back while sitting down is the same as while standing up: straight up. Any other position puts a lateral force on the intervertebral discs. Not just in the office, but anywhere.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Reply  Post New Thread