Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimepting View Post
OK, I'm going. I hope to see some of you there. I registered for the fuel economy competition. For those of you who attend, I'm 6'4" and a very gray 73 years. I registered as a VIP so I should have a name tag. Please keep your eyes open for me!
Hi Jim,

Goosh, your making me feel a little short!

I'm 6'2" and a not so gray 59 yrs.

If the weather is good Saturday, I'll be there.

Speaking of economy I "registered" 126mpg over 33 miles on the way home last night. Used up the 2nd half of the HV battery at the same time, mostly on hills. The ambient temp was about 85F. Average "top speed" was 38 mph on old backroads. Without the tail.

Jim.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Wheeler View Post
If the weather is good Saturday, I'll be there.

Speaking of economy I "registered" 126mpg over 33 miles on the way home last night. Used up the 2nd half of the HV battery at the same time, mostly on hills. The ambient temp was about 85F. Average "top speed" was 38 mph on old backroads. Without the tail.

Jim.
Wow, that is great. Let me see, 1.15x126=145MPG for a short segment WITH the tail!!!! Well, maybe not quite that good at low speed. I know I'm impressed. Hope it is dry so I can see the boat tail in Madison. CUL

Jim E.

Last edited by jime57; 07-15-2011 at 03:53 PM..
Old 07-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Wow, thats impressive. I looked on the website, but there wasn't any agenda for each day. But, if theres a chance I can see the beautiful boat tail, I'll be there Saturday!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I wish I had the time to make it over there. It would add another tail to the party
Old 07-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
Wow, that is great. Let me see, 1.15x126=145MPG for a short segment WITH the tail!!!! Well, maybe not quite that good at low speed. I know I'm impressed. Hope it is dry so I can see the boat tail in Madison. CUL

Jim E.
Hi Jim,

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but at those low speeds, adding the tail would only bring another 5 mpg or so to the mix. At 55 mph your estimate of 1.15 would be closer to what the tail adds to efficiency.

I'm starting to understand just how important pulse and glide can be.

Jim.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Hi Jim,

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but at those low speeds, adding the tail would only bring another 5 mpg or so to the mix. At 55 mph your estimate of 1.15 would be closer to what the tail adds to efficiency.

I'm starting to understand just how important pulse and glide can be.

Jim.
Yeah, I think you are correct about the improved FE at lower speeds with the boat tail.

I think a skilled P&G driver can achieve remarkable results. My problem with it is that it a lot of work and the Insight already delivers such good FE that I'm usually not in a mood to do the work. I do engine off coasting when I get a good chance, but that is a more passive approach. Did you achieve the 126MPG by using P&G?
Old 07-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
Yeah, I think you are correct about the improved FE at lower speeds with the boat tail.

I think a skilled P&G driver can achieve remarkable results. My problem with it is that it a lot of work and the Insight already delivers such good FE that I'm usually not in a mood to do the work. I do engine off coasting when I get a good chance, but that is a more passive approach. Did you achieve the 126MPG by using P&G?
Hi Jim,

Yes, I use a conservative amount of P&G during my drive home.

There are about five places where I coast about 1/8 mile or so with the engine keyed-off.

I have a FAS board but have not installed it yet, wondering just how useful it would be. It turns out that it can be very useful indeed, especially in warmer weather because the car coasts so well when it's hot out.

Jim.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Hi Jim,

Yes, I use a conservative amount of P&G during my drive home.

There are about five places where I coast about 1/8 mile or so with the engine keyed-off.Jim.
Jim, in a strictly technical sense, I'm not sure this coasting, and my same approach, is pulse-and-glide. I have the impression that true P&G involves accelerating at a engine efficient load, usually something aroung 70%, up to the glide speed and then cutting the ignition and coasting. When the car coasts down to the bottom of the P&G target range, then another cycle is initiated. The theory, as I understand it, is that the engine is always operating in its sweet spot. Maybe I'm wrong on the definitions

Anyway, I do some FAS sections with the key off, but it is usually on downhills, or where I'm going to have to give up speed anyway. I don't consider that P&G, but I don't make a claim to be an expert. Whatever the name, my technique does significantly improve MPG.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
Jim, in a strictly technical sense, I'm not sure this coasting, and my same approach, is pulse-and-glide. I have the impression that true P&G involves accelerating at a engine efficient load, usually something aroung 70%, up to the glide speed and then cutting the ignition and coasting. When the car coasts down to the bottom of the P&G target range, then another cycle is initiated. The theory, as I understand it, is that the engine is always operating in its sweet spot. Maybe I'm wrong on the definitions

Anyway, I do some FAS sections with the key off, but it is usually on downhills, or where I'm going to have to give up speed anyway. I don't consider that P&G, but I don't make a claim to be an expert. Whatever the name, my technique does significantly improve MPG.
Hi Jim,

For me, anytime I shut off the motor and coast, that's part of P&G. Again, just my term.

I think the only way to get much higher than 120mpg with the Insight is to start taking advantage of coasting with the motor off, in one form or another. And this includes using large dose's of MIMA where there are any hills.

Anyone that starts getting figures of 140 or 150mpg, is doing allot of coasting somewhere in the run.

Jim.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Hi Jim,

Anyone that starts getting figures of 140 or 150mpg, is doing allot of coasting somewhere in the run.

Jim.
For sure. I can get up to around 120 mpg on a very perfect day on absolutely flat ground at around 38 MPH. That's my limit. I can't use MIMA since I have an 06. I'm tempted to try some pulse and glide sometime, but I have to do it very carefully so as not to engage assist. Lots of work!

Reply  Post New Thread