Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Why is the magnets potential different than that of a spring? Or of gravity for that matter?
A spring doesn't have potential until it's had kinetic energy applied. A magnet is always magnetic. I can't refute gravity, because I'm not entirely sure that magnetism doesn't play a part in gravity,and since most of the scientific community still can't agree on why gravity is so weak compared to magnetism and other forces, I don't intend to speculate on it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Magnetic tapelights? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Tape-Lights... LOL. I've had to do that before.

So, as many times as I've seen non-working prototypes of magnetic motors, I've had a few ideas myself as to why they don't work... and those ideas have always lacked funding.

It's a vicious thing to have a great idea and not even be able to test it in the real world... and it doesn't stop with me, unfortunately. I do wish you the best of luck in your ventures, though.

Oh, and the TapeLight, they have keychains that work exactly like that, except you can only turn them on by squeezing them. I used to make them for fun. They cost about $2 to make, and you can usually squeeze about $3 out of them from tourists or people who just need a little light.
Thanks for the chuckle! Tonights upcoming weather might engender a few more tapelights in my house!

Somebody tells me that being early on this site isn't a good way to look for investors, but I'm not doing that. I already have investors waiting to send funding, but I am not accepting investment funding until I have a couple of what my partners call "robust prototypes" to show them. Those are what I'm working on now, and the funds I'm asking are relatively minimal and I have tried to make it clear that they, as all of my own funds and work, are a bit of a gamble. But I also maintain that I try to only bet on "sure things", and were I not confident in this engine, I'd not be working on it at all, much less trying to scam somebody. I'm 65 years old and have limited time left on this world. Why on God's earth would I risk spending any of that time in jail for fraud? So if you think I can't make it work, then by all means, bet that way and just walk away.

The "gate" thingy is neat, but it has all the same problems of all the other wannabe magnetic engines. Somebody has to sit there and work it. And the observation about needing bigger magnets also holds true, and I can tell you right now that when you get up toward the multiple-horsepower range, you're not going to be working those magnets by hand, if you value your limbs! My little 20HP proto uses magnets that can break fingers if mishandled even slightly. Getting much beyond that enters the realm of magnets that can conceivably do lethal things. BE CAREFUL!!

As to why my sites get updated, well, I'm old and bored, and I often think of things that need saying, or just find a misspelling that jars (my mom made me into a spelling cop!)

I am maintaining a journal offline, and have already applied for a Provisional Patent, which gives me the right to state that my engine is "Patent Pending", and that plus a buck might buy a cuppa at Starbucks, if you bring tax. All it will take is exposure in a country that thinks that a US device is fair game, and we can all kiss any profits good-bye.

As to "Christ"'s mention about gravity, I doubt that landing on a dark star, or even Jupiter, would find you thinking how weak gravity is as a force. It's all relative.

Well, I think I've addressed most of the points I noted. Have another read at Allsites Index and see if I did good, or if you're still betting against me. I'm still just an old dude on Social Security, and a few bucks more or less isn't going to make me either a rich guy or street people , but the "more" side might get the engine going sooner, which would be lovely!
Cheers,
Bill Whedon

Old 03-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
A spring doesn't have potential until it's had kinetic energy applied. A magnet is always magnetic.
DUDE!!! two magnets touching each other don't have any potential EITHER!!!

Folks have to demonstrate some fundamental understanding here, I'm losing faith pretty quickly.

Yes magnet motors can be tweaked into existence, yes they have significant lifespan problems, can anyone promoting this demonstrate that they know what those problems are and how to overcome them?

Or do we have to be bludgeoned with political tripe and useless posturing?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

All I can do is to give you the one best possible clue I can give without drawing you a picture. Look at the problem from the other end. Thats why mine works and NONE of the others do.
Bill Whedon

Old 03-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Can you PM me a picture then? I'm pretty sure something was lost in translation there.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
DUDE!!! two magnets touching each other don't have any potential EITHER!!!

Folks have to demonstrate some fundamental understanding here, I'm losing faith pretty quickly.

Yes magnet motors can be tweaked into existence, yes they have significant lifespan problems, can anyone promoting this demonstrate that they know what those problems are and how to overcome them?

Or do we have to be bludgeoned with political tripe and useless posturing?
This is not entirely true... both magnets still exhibit potential energies, except that their energies are being drained into each other as kinetic energy. i.e. it would take kinetic energy to separate them, equal to the potential (magnetic) energy they both contain.

Just because the force is being counteracted, doesn't mean it doesn't still exist.

Like I said, I'm not vouching for this guy, or magnet motors as a whole, I'm just making sure that everyone thinks about an often left-out variable.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Forget it guys. If you weren't talking in circles/nonsense/riddles I might think you were taking this seriously.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Forget it guys.
Please don't place me in league with this person. I don't appreciate it at all.

Quote:
If you weren't talking in circles/nonsense/riddles I might think you were taking this seriously.
I really don't see where I've been talking in circles/nonsense/riddles at all, actually. What I do see is that people often discredit the potential energy that magnets have when attempting to calculate why a magnet motor wouldn't work.

Magnets, to my knowledge, are the only force that don't require kinetic energy to produce kinetic energy, thus, they must contain some form of continuous potential energy to begin with. (This may not be true on a larger scale than I care to think about/discuss here, but for all intents and purposes, it is.)

Before you go placing me in a league aside this person, or those who have experimented with and claim to have produced working magnet motors, please realize that I'm only regurgitating the high-school science that many have so obviously forgotten.

"You can't make more than you put in." Is a true statement, on all accounts... but if it's not just YOU putting in the effort, then it's not just YOU making the end result.

Imagine for a minute that you have a piece of steel, that weighs in at 2 tons.

You have only yourself to move it, and you stand between the steel and and immobile wall (exaggeration for purposes of explanation).

On the wall is a magnet that has force equal to 1.99 tons of pressure application, and it's facing the opposite polarity of the piece of steel in front of you.. that means that the .01 tons of force you would need to apply to move the 2 ton piece of steel has essentially created more energy than you've applied. The key there, is that now there is a 2ton object moving before you, and YOU have applied .01 tons of force.

That seems to me to be pretty obviously the magnet's doing, unless you have some other way to explain it.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Quote:
Please don't place me in league with this person. I don't appreciate it at all.
I'm not, I just can't continue this debate in this manner as it isn't a productive format.

Quote:
when attempting to calculate why a magnet motor wouldn't work.
I've seen them work (or at least good imitations of them working) online, I don't need to calculate it. They've been around for decades and they have serious issues as I already said.

I'm trying to look Bill in the face and he tells me to look at it from the other end.

Last edited by dcb; 03-23-2009 at 10:55 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Here is an interesting device, at least academically speaking. Referenced from Permanent Magnet Motors , has run for at least 14 days (according to the site):

Last edited by dcb; 03-23-2009 at 10:55 PM..

Closed Thread  Post New Thread