Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2022, 05:47 PM   #461 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe that the Technical University of Munich reported that the Driv Aer CFD model has a 9% deviation built into it, and you'd be cautioned to accept any data results on face value.
maybe i should extend my front wheel deflectors down then. they '' look'' about 10mm. havent measure, but they are extremely small in front of the front wheels. the rear wheel deflectors are probably about 40-60mm. need to measure, but the back wheel ones are so much larger and visible. almost look like front baby mud flaps

once this heat wave ends, besides the diffuser, ill be working on better wheel deflectors ( left rear one actually split off during snowstorm in utah) combined with boat tailing wedges behind the wheels

The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-08-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-08-2022, 06:01 PM   #462 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Prius Experiment - '07 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 58.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
I skimmed over one that just had the conclusion posted, said I’d have to pay to read the whole study, but it said in SHORTER diffuser, that a curved diffuser that goes steep actually has less drag that a straight and mild angle diffuser. Would explain why the back of teslas have the end of the diffuser curve up, versus extending out like the eqxx
I always thought it was odd how people use flat diffusers, instead of making them curved (like every other aero device on their car). As long as the curve isn't too sharp, the airflow should follow it.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:07 PM   #463 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
extend

Quote:
maybe i should extend my front wheel deflectors down then. they '' look'' about 10mm. havent measure, but they are extremely small in front of the front wheels. the rear wheel deflectors are probably about 40-60mm. need to measure, but the back wheel ones are so much larger and visible. almost look like front baby mud flaps

once this heat wave ends, besides the diffuser, ill be working on better wheel deflectors ( left rear one actually split off during snowstorm in utah) combined with boat tailing wedges behind the wheels
Hyundai has a world class wind tunnel.
What you have may be optimized for the car already. This is exactly the kind of thing aerodynamic engineers are free to optimize, as it doesn't impact the 'look' of the car at all.
Personally, Id be looking elsewhere for improvements. That's a $ 100,000 modification.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:17 PM   #464 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
it said in................

Quote:
What was also interesting was that covering both wheel wells is actually not the most effective way to lower drag

I found a few other new studies and cfd analysis papers on a host site, but they all are behind a paywall and require like a 40 dollar payment to read. Ridiculous. Stuff like that shoukd be public knowledge

I skimmed over one that just had the conclusion posted, said I’d have to pay to read the whole study, but it said in SHORTER diffuser, that a curved diffuser that goes steep actually has less drag that a straight and mild angle diffuser. Would explain why the back of teslas have the end of the diffuser curve up, versus extending out like the eqxx
I would caution you strongly not to extrapolate any conclusion for one car to another.
Again, you're looking at $100,000 in a rolling -road wind tunnel to sort these sorts of details out.
And I would want to qualify the experience and expertise of the author(s), and the quality of the technology they utilize to come to the conclusions they come to.
Caveat Emptor.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:52 PM   #465 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
You speak as one who has learned a thing or three in wind tunenls.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:59 PM   #466 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Hyundai has a world class wind tunnel.
What you have may be optimized for the car already. This is exactly the kind of thing aerodynamic engineers are free to optimize, as it doesn't impact the 'look' of the car at all.
Personally, Id be looking elsewhere for improvements. That's a $ 100,000 modification.
so will boat tailing behind the wheels hurt or make things better? like the XL1

hyundai could have also built a better underbody too for the ioniq, like the prius under body, but they didnt. im assuming because they wanted to undercut the prius in msrp by SEVERAL THOUSAND dollars. their goal was to release an entry level hybrid that gets better EPA on paper mpg than the prius, while being much cheaper, and without looking like a '' weird hybrid prius shape'' and to look more traditional like most cars. the whole purpose of the ioniq was to try and steal would be future prius buyers away from toyota. now they are completely discontinuing product of the ioniq. super short lived car. hyundai canceled and scrapped it after a few years. now they are just focusing on their future EV line ups...

they definitely cut a lot of costs for the ioniq. lots of plastic inside, loud road noise, horrible seats, horrible sound system, cheap glass, horrible headlights, and so many other production problems
Old 08-08-2022, 07:30 PM   #467 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
[T]hey definitely cut a lot of costs for the ioniq. lots of plastic inside, loud road noise, horrible seats, horrible sound system, cheap glass, horrible headlights, and so many other production problems.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Quote:
[S]o will boat tailing behind the wheels hurt or make things better? like the XL1
My vote would be for 'in most cases, yes'. They might flare inward or outward or be neutral. That would be the thing to sort out.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:46 PM   #468 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

My vote would be for 'in most cases, yes'. They might flare inward or outward or be neutral. That would be the thing to sort out.
i dont know the exact price of the original insight, but i'm sure it wasn't very pricey and it obviously wasnt a fancy car with a good trim interior and sound system and headlights and all that

i got the ioniq because of the cheap price and epa numbers, plus at the time i didnt want just another prius like everyone else. its still fun to drive though. the dual clucth transmission feels more sporty and responsive than my girlfriends corolla hybrid
Old 08-08-2022, 09:47 PM   #469 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I was going to suggest it's aftermarket upgrade-friendly, but then I remembered the short production run.

My benchmark is the thousand dollar XFi. I put $200 in tires on it but I think they're lumpy.I can't justify RE92s on the ROI. It has a radio but I don't listen to it.

Old 08-08-2022, 09:58 PM   #470 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I was going to suggest it's aftermarket upgrade-friendly, but then I remembered the short production run.

My benchmark is the thousand dollar XFi. I put $200 in tires on it but I think they're lumpy.I can't justify RE92s on the ROI. It has a radio but I don't listen to it.
i upgraded the headlights and reverse lights to insanely bright LEDs. the stock halogens were really bad. ive used some sound deadening anti vibration mats to help tone down panel rattling and reduce noise and i added some insulation in the floors. i still need to add insulation in the doors and also the roof, but those will take more work and apparently its a pain to open up the whole headliner. i have premium window tints and weather tech floor matts. so i've done plenty of upgrading. the seats are still pretty bare bones and the speakers for music are just ehh

they have more premium trims with leather interiors and lane assist and all that, but that doesnt really fix the handling and road noise and aluminum car panels they used to save weight

main upgrades im doing clearly are aero mods right now with the current gas prices, but i want them to look OEM, not some coroplast mods. so far the wheel skirts look amazing, i just need to polish the paint/clear coat to add a little shine. even got abs plastic trimmed and sanded with weatherstripping to go where the side passenger mirror was so it looks stock

The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-08-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread