Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I am thinking about bonding my left over aluminum flashing to some 1/2" foam insulation.

The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-28-2018)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Evo-II wing

The wing is placed 'up' into 'clean' air, ala 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona.Placing the wing in clean air provides the desired downforce with the minimum-sized wing (minimum drag).
And it is for downforce,not drag reduction.
The Ford of Cologne,Germany' bi-wing was wind tunnel tested,and patented.I believe it was good for delta -Cd 0.02.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
IMHO you don't need the towel-rack, something more like the Auto 2000 Concept.

Aerocivic - how to drop your Cd from 0.31 to 0.17

I have some thoughts on how to make a compound curve with sheets of clear plastic.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-28-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 09:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I am considering some ideas from aerocivic, including double side skirts with a boattail behind the rear.

I am going the current direction with the rear treatment as I plan to drag an engine-less 1999 slk230 a few hundred miles on a converted boat trailer.

I've considered removing the windshield for less frontal area on the towed vehicle since it's a convertible. I'm hoping I can build some fairings and maybe a boat tail on the trailer, but I've got a bit of work to make it road worthy, let alone extras.
The Following User Says Thank You to razordave For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-04-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 09:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I came across a nifty enclosed car hauler project, but can't load the linked photos.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post436708

It could be my internet connection, but if anyone else has these stowed away?

I'm thinking something a little less permanent for my project since it will probably only be used for this car once.

Probably end up with some plywood, some coroplast, some aluminum flashing? Whatever I can scrounge free/ cheap.
The Following User Says Thank You to razordave For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-04-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 11:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Photobucket hosting has it's problems. If you can see the pictures (I can) you could screen capture and re-up them, since they won't embed; but why bother.

If you cobble something together to hit the freeway, top it with a net or orange emergency fencing or something.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
I have a 300 SDL. They can take a lot of abuse. Their fuel economy on the highway is excellent for such a behemoth of the time period, as it is competitive with modern cars of similar size(city fuel economy isn't all that great).

When I put some Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires on mine, I was getting roughly 31 mpg @ 70 mph. Before the LRR tires, it got 30 mpg @ 70 mph. When the turbo failed, it dropped to 28 mpg @ 70 mph.

With regard to the W126 Auto 2000 concept mentioned earlier in this topic:

https://www.motor1.com/news/137525/c...des-auto-2000/

Quote:
Not only did its design preview what was to come in the following years, but the low-slung body was also aerodynamically optimized as the concept had a drag coefficient of just 0.28.

To meet the fuel economy goal, the Auto 2000 concept needed more than just a sleek body. That’s why Mercedes’ engineers came up with three frugal powertrain solutions. The first one was a V8 3.8-liter gasoline engine fitted with cylinder deactivation technology, which as you can imagine was quite the novelty back then. Whenever the engine’s full power was not necessary, half of the cylinders were temporarily shut down to save precious fuel.

The next proposal for an economical engine was a six-cylinder 3.3-liter diesel that had two turbochargers. It granted the Auto 2000 with an “exemplary accelerating power” and needed only 7.5 liters / 100 km (31.3 mpg) while the car was doing 75 mph (120 kph) based on Mercedes’ testing procedures.
The stock drag coefficient for a 300 SDL is 0.36.

This should give you an overall idea of what is possible, if you decide to go with twin turbos. You may need to upgrade the injector pump with larger threads as well otherwise the engine will never see more than 175 horsepower.

This being said, it is possible to turn the 300 SDL into a 300+ horsepower luxury cruiser that gets 31 mpg at 75 mph. Running this on biofuels would be interesting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Toecutter For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-15-2018), freebeard (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm curious about Permalink #15. Were you pointing to that post for the trailer or the tow vehicle?

A trailer is a whole another thing, but the tow vehicle appears to be a Mercedes. So how about combining the two into a Tropfenwagen boat tail?

Here is the idea applied to a VW Beetle:

Put wheelie bars under the back of the boat tail.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-15-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 12:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The plastic under bumper didn't fare too well.

I basically stole big dave's idea for an air dam when I came across a thirty some inch wide piece of smooth rubber conveyor belt.

With the 30 inch tires that were on the car at the time, the new air dam was 2 inches from the road surface. This did cause quite a bit more contact than with the plastic which wore substantially until it was roughly 3.5 inches up and then it just broke.

I have since changed over to a shorter tire and the air dam is even closer which doesn't seem to be any more of a problem, but I have been strongly contemplating Freebeard's comments on post #10 about a central jet.

If you check out this link with high definition photos of a later model c class, you can see that Rennsport has implemented a front bumper that, to me; looks like what Freebeard has described.

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/ats...t-tourenwagen/

I also really like the fender venting behind the front tires. I was very much considering a total radius of that edge as listed in the wiki and on the dodge m4s prototype https://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts...-Ackerman.html

I'll get you guys some photos of the air dam in it's current state and try to ms paint my wanted mods to get some feed back before I take the knife to it.

I also removed the factory plastic rocker panel cover and made a side skirt of the same rubber conveyor belt. I need to fabricate a block off for the hole I made for the exhaust that I had for a short time just in front of the rear wheel, so forgive me that atrocity.

photos added to post #1

Last edited by razordave; 12-06-2018 at 01:29 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to razordave For This Useful Post:
freebeard (12-06-2018), slowmover (12-29-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 05:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Maybe this visual below can be used to establish a concept or at least a launching point for one.

Car Aerodynamic Upgrades Guide| Rapid-Racer.com.
Mmmmm
A lot of air is coming out sideways between the wheels on ordinary road cars

The Following User Says Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-08-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread