Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2015, 12:41 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Whoopsie! Time to update the thread. A couple of three things:

•The discussion and picture of the orange race car that don't make no sense? I changed my profile pic (numerous times). Then it was this:

•I went out today and put down a deposit on an Arcimoto SRK8, an front wheel drive electric reverse tadpole I mentioned in the first post in Jan 2013. They will ship product in second quarter 2016. The first 50 Alpha production models are being built right now.

This furthers my agenda to pit crew at Bonneville Salt Flats. It's roughly 5x5x9 feet and could either run as a open-wheel 'belly tank' style or a full envelope 'Schlorwagen' streamliner. In plan the fineness ratio is 2.94:1. I haven't found the kilowatt or horsepower rating of the twin motors yet so it's hard to estimate against the expected CdA. Stock it's rated at 1023lb, 0—60 in 7.5 and 85mph top speed.

So maybe 120-130mph?

•The panel van mentioned in first post is gone and the Superbeetle is looking fragile and too valuable to drive.

Edit: Almost forgot. This turned up and it's on-topic here:

http://www.cree.ch

The kabinenroller approach: rear-engine monocoque. The front suspension seems to have a fiberglass (or basalt?) half-elliptic monoleaf spring.

Pretty much what I was looking for when I started the thread. Now it's a Messerschmitt shell with the quarter-sphere front fenders and side-hinged bubble top draped over an Armimoto armature, Westergard style.

Like this:

Last edited by freebeard; 11-19-2015 at 01:23 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-19-2015, 01:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
The problem with 4 wheels is on a commercial scale you are building a car and then have to go through all the high safety and emissions requirements. This explosion of 3 wheel concepts is because they are motorcycles and avoid most of the issues. My fear is that loophole will be short lived. Basically get them while they are hot (and legal). Not that they can't be made to car requirements, just that they won't be any less expensive or better performing in any category. I wish we would go the other way any allow the "unsafe" Indian cars in. You should be given the choice as to what level of safety you want. I can check my tire pressure with a $2 Guage and look in a mirror before backing up thank you very much.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
This explosion of 3 wheel concepts is because they are motorcycles and avoid most of the issues. My fear is that loophole will be short lived. Basically get them while they are hot (and legal).
As long as they're still not marketed as real cars, the loophole is not so likely to be phased out...

Reply  Post New Thread