Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModder Blog Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
You really CAN have the best of both worlds.
Do you know of an aerodynamic affordable electric vehicle that seats two + groceries, and that you can sit upright in that fits three per parking space?

Would you be willing to put in the effort to draw a picture to convey your thoughts better? I mean "ugly" and "stupid" are just not very constructive, but if you know how to make such a niche vehicle aero friendly then please demonstrate.

I don't think you need to lose any sleep about the metro buddy coming over here anytime soon though. It isn't impractical enough I guess

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Look, even if you dismiss aero, your car doesn't have to be ugly. Take a smart, make it electric with the exact same stats as the Metro buddy - 50mph, 50 miles. Poeple would eat it up.

If you want it aero, make it a roadster. A little one like the old spitfires and MG's. Make it electric, make it 50mph with 50 mile range (you'd have more due to aero, i'm just being easy).

I may be a tech geek, but I still have a shred of human left in me that tells me that thing is ugly. Print a picture of it and stand outside your local mall saying "would you be caught dead in this vehicle?"... you'll get beat up and spit on (figuratively speaking).

You're so strongly against a decent looking electric car... why?
Old 05-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Quote:
Look, even if you dismiss aero, your car doesn't have to be ugly.
You said it was ugly because of the lack of aero, now you have contradicted that. You do not appreciate it for what it is IMHO. It would be like criticizing the color of a screwdriver, where you feel it is important that other screwdriver color critics know your opinion. This car is a basic, non-presumptuous, tool.

Quote:
Take a smart
The smart suffers the same issues because it is just about the same niche size wise. It has basically the same external dimensions as a chopped top johnny on the spot with wheels. Perhaps you would like to critique porta-pottys to for our benefit?

Quote:
You're so strongly against a decent looking electric car... why?
Absolutely incorrect. I would buy a tesla (lotus) or even a acabion (spaceship) or even an electric sting ray would be cool too (with low rr tires) given enough money. But if I need to spend my money thriftily I look for an econobox (or econowedge in this case).
Old 05-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Actually... i bought these cheap made in china screwdrivers where the red and green ones were not #2 and #3 robbies and i was cheesed. Poor design.

Actually, i didn't say it is ugly because it lacks aero considerations. I said it is ugly AND it lacks aero considerations making it have neither form NOR function. I think the aptera is ugly, therefor it is a shining example of function over form. I also feel that its ugliness (think: national survey, not your own personal opinion) will limit its sales drastically; it won't be "the next Honda Civic".

You misinterpreted my use of the Smart in my example. It is an example of a car that dismissed aero consideration but still looks good. I personally don't think of it as a highly attractive car, but it sells to mass market. Unlike an ugly wedge.

So you feel that an econobox can't be stylish? I rather like the look of a Civic and my Protege. A Geo Metro looks far better than this wedge.

All nit-pickity conversation slicing details aside, my broad point is: If you're going to make an electric car, don't make it look like a joke, or it won't fly. That car will never reach mass market appeal because it is stupid looking.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Quote:
That car will never reach mass market appeal because it is stupid looking.
And my point is such statements also help reinforce stupid and shallow mentalities, as well has help prevent mass market appeal.

Investing your esteem in your vehicle is dumb, everybody does it, but it is still dumb. Parroting stupidity is stupid.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
If you want it aero, make it a roadster. A little one like the old spitfires and MG's. Make it electric, make it 50mph with 50 mile range (you'd have more due to aero, i'm just being easy).
Some of the highest-mileage EVs in the EVDL are based on the Karmann Ghia. It seems like a good shape for efficiency.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm re-inforcing nothing. These mentallities are a reality of the world. To deny it is rediculous! To make electric cars that fit the "electric cars look stupid" mentality does nothing to break it. To support that does nothing to advance the technology. To deny our human instict to enjoy art and beauty is reinforcing the mentallity that electric cars are for geeks. Wake up in the real world.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
Some of the highest-mileage EVs in the EVDL are based on the Karmann Ghia. It seems like a good shape for efficiency.
excellent example of a beautiful car that functions well as an electric car!
Old 05-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Quote:
I'm re-inforcing nothing. ...Wake up in the real world.
LOL, who needs to wake up? Don't lecture me on beauty or art, you cannot possibly convince me that you understand the domain of such things, aside from immediate visceral gratification of your own liking.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

UfoTofU - '91 Honda CRX DX
Last 3: 28.36 mpg (US)
I like the Metro Buddy, especially when compared to the said gaudy Roadster

Reply  Post New Thread