Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2015, 05:22 PM   #61 (permalink)
The PRC.

The chip is a new one with the idea that the Pi is the primary customer but not the only one -i.e anyone can buy it - At least Mr Upton said so in a video interview I watched earlier.

A cheap tablet is in a different market to the pi IMHO. Certainly in terms of use. You can program it maybe more controlled though.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
It is hard for me to see what niche it fills though (I mean from a purely cost per features perspective, not from an embedded userbase perspective), I mean 7" are on ebay for $39 shipped, dual cameras, dual core 1.5ghz, sd card, touchscreen, speakers, usb, battery, etc. etc. The bluetooth ones are a few dollars more, but it makes it almost trivial to add a user interface to a microcontroller (i.e. arduino) project. It seems like there is very little need for anything in-between.

Pi does seem to do a bit better with video, but add in the cost of a display and speakers and a way to get the video to the pi (and integrate it all nicely if you want portable) plus user input devices. The small and cheap aspects are a bit misleading, since it is probably going to be in a stationary setting (not size critical) and needs extra hardware for everything.

I have enough spare computers/laptops if I feel compelled to make a MAME cabinet out of an old monitor

But seriously, even with raspberry foundations stated mission, for cost effective teaching tools for the masses, android tablet is the clear winner. Add a case with built in-keyboard for $15.

Add a $5 hand generator, and you have the whole olpc thing, only more portable and capable.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #63 (permalink)
The PRC.

I agree with you on a lot of points TBH.

You can do a lot of projects via Bluetooth, Adafruit (a biggie in Pi stuff) carries project descriptions using this too :

https://learn.adafruit.com/programmi...ndroid-tablets

I hate Blutooth - I've found deliberately stubbing my toes a lot to be more reliable than Bluetooth and I wish it would die as a technology, but thats my experience

The Pi wasn't meant originally as a general education tool though, more a technical and geeky / hacking thing to kick-start kids to be interested in coding again, as today (for some reason) making some HTML is considered such a thing - see the intro videos on that aspect.

Kind of like us old 80s-90s hackers with home computers - plug it into a TV and hack away. I had a BBC Model B myself which was ace - built in Basic for quick hacking, inline Assembler for more serious stuff, built in networking, serial and paralel hardware, the option of second processors (multi core in the 1980s, with 6502s ?) and a 1,000 page Advanced User Guide (PDF) for those wanting more.

That tapped my son is interested in hacking via a different route - gaming. His "computing" course has spent the time from September to December last year doing the basics - history of computing, basic binary, memory etc. He was turned off and pondered dropping it altogether. Now they are hacking USB and WiFi connected game controllers and he is back interested in what he can do.

In other news, the PI now has wheels.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:52 PM   #64 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
While I have no programming skills, I do enjoy messing around with hardware and building my own systems. I was excited to see the new Pi release, I will be picking one up just to mess around with it, probably try to make it into a smart media hub. For $35 it will keep me entertained for hours. I'd hazard a guess they will sell a lot of them to other people that just want them for the hobby/enthusiast market.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #65 (permalink)
The PRC.

Thereis an XMBC version which works with it, I'm planning to recycle my old B+ into one when the Pi 2 arrives
Old 02-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

lol, I had a palm pilot with wheels once
Old 02-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #67 (permalink)
The PRC.

Pioneer

Old 02-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
Palm Pilot =/= Newton

Epiphany Is a Fast, Modern Browser for the Raspberry Pi
Old 02-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #69 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Minimal computing? Yeah, I actually do stay away from high tech as much as possible...

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 02-06-2015, 12:14 AM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Epiphany
Yah, I guess a set-top box could be a good application for the onboard video (with wheels?!? ), the lack of on-board analog ports are a bit discouraging for most of the vehicular projects floating in my head though.

edit, found an analog add-on, but it is $25, for a "$35" board.
https://www.abelectronics.co.uk/prod...ital-converter

Will have to look into the beaglebone a bit.

Last edited by P-hack; 02-06-2015 at 12:20 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread