Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Mods considered for 2007 Prius

Last December, my 2000 Honda Insight was in a collision. As with any old car, it was repairable, but totaled, so I got a good deal for a 2007 base Prius. Enjoy the Prius, but definitely miss the Insight....it gets 50+ mpg on cold short trips - not 30, better highway mpg (80-100 vs 60-70), The Honda ECU is not as intrusive.

I'm planning to mode this Prius, then get a 2nd car. That second car might be an EV, plugin hybrid, another Gen I Insight. I also might refurbish old Prius' and make a little money after I balance the traction pack.

My plans for the 2007 Prius
Phase I
  1. ProLong Grid Charger (should improve the battery health - can use on other hybrids)
  2. Block heater (common on Prius, get the ICE warm enough to get the EV mode quickly
  3. EV switch - Don't expect too much from this, most drivers initally pretend their car is a plugin. This is like Honda Insight driver that get the MIMA kit installed to overide the Assist/Charge function
This will be the low-hanging fruit to improve mpg

Phase II
  1. Steering wheel cover - wheel is damaged from oily palms
  2. Replace rear-view mirror with racing mirror. Use instead of a cam - remove side mirrors
  3. Add a 2nd ScanGage under the speedometer so frequently looking at MFD in center will not be necessary.
  4. Replace weathered OEM antenna with shark fin

Phase III
  1. Sane option: Do minor body and paint work keeping the original dark grey color and avoid a total redo. Insane option: Repaint it white to keep it 15 F cooler during Texas summers. Repaint except inside the engine. Prius owners know the eco-friendly paint often chips a lot - I might chose a harder one at least for the engine hood. I don't plan to resell this car.
  2. Use bondo on wheel rashes and paint OEM silver
  3. Use very low air dam on front bumper. Will have to be flexable for ramps, etc.
  4. Insight-type fender covers
  5. Replace the OEM cover underneath with a more complete, aerodynamic one, use a heat shield where the catylatic converter is.
  6. the chassis will cover 2/3 of the wheel to deflect air that gets past air dam
  7. Deploy side panels like on 18-wheelers that flex

Estimated cost is $1500-2000 USD.

Thought about a plugin conversion, but it makes more economic sense to make this a "lifeboat" car and road car and safe for a used EV or plugin later on. Most 3rd party plugin manufactures are out of business because any Prius that was not explicitly manufactured to be plugin won't do very well in this mode...the electric motors are not desiged to do EV over 42 mph in Gen II, 46 mph in Gen III (think Gen IV is 64 mph ) In other words, Toyota designed the Prius to need both the electric and ICE motors under heavy load to get the great fuel economy.

I am uncomfortable driving pickups daily because the long bed poses parking and other maneuvering issues. For that reason, I'm not considering a boattail unless a shortened one makes aerodynamic sense.

Last edited by Chuck.; 09-12-2016 at 02:19 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Hi Chuck, that's quite a list.

Block heaters help but are fiddly as you have to hook up and unhook before you drive (and never forget to!). You can have the same effect by tricking the system into thinking it is heated up by spoofing the temp sensor, Daox has a thread on that.

I made a wing sleeve round my antenna. Wings have less resistance than round bars. Mine tore up a few months ago, but will redo it.

A full repaint would be expensive, how about just the roof? That's where most of the heat gets through. Or go for two fat white stripes over the hood and roof; saves you from some heat and it looks cool

Would not bother with air dams as the under car aero is already reasonable. Low air dams only do good on cars with a messy underside. Darin reported no benefit from having a low air dam on his Prius II IIRC.

Plugin conversion is feasible, if you follow Planetaires example. But if you aim for a speedy ROI you need to buy gas in Europe, your gas is just too beeping cheap to justify the cost of batteries etc.
To take full advantage of the EV conversion you need to trick the system into using EV mode (emergency gas station trip mode) and drive and accelerate slow.

A tail extension may be effective for highway trips, a 10% reduction in fuel usage is possible from just that. It has obvious drawbacks though.

Whatever you do, keen to know how it turns out. Subscribed to this thread

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
Chuck. (09-12-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
I'd buy back the Insight from the insurance company, fix what needs to be fixed, and not worry about the rest.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 09-11-2016, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the grid charger personally. Toyota's battery management is way better than Honda's was. Its fairly rare to hear about issues with the Toyota packs even with as old as they're getting.

I would definitely look into blocking the grill. I get along all summer long with a full grill block on mine even with A/C use. Granted, it doesn't get as hot here in Wisconsin, but I'm sure you can still block off a decent amount without any issues. At the very least, block the upper grill.

I do like my ECT (engine coolant temp) spoofer. It works well to get you into S4 mode faster. Its quite handy for getting heat out of the car in winter here, not that that is much of an issue in Texas though. I also still do like my block heater as it also gets you into S4 mode faster as well as get you heat quicker.
Chuck. (09-12-2016), redpoint5 (09-12-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
I am not uncomfortable driving pickups because the long bed poses parking and other maneuvering issues. For that reason, I'm not considering a boattail unless a shortened one makes aerodynamic sense.
Are both 'not's necessary for it to make sense?

Quote:
Insane option: Repaint it white
A wild and ca-razy guy.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
Watching with interest.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
subscribed
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Are both 'not's necessary for it to make sense?

A wild and ca-razy guy.

I meant having driven pickups and not comfortable with their parking and other issues from being a lot longer, I hesitate to do that to my Prius.

If a moderate boattail makes aerodynamic sense, I would consider.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck. For This Useful Post:
freebeard (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 02:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Not my 2007 metallic grey Prius, but like it without the front chipped from road debris (which is common). Also minor small dings.

The metallic flakes that make today's cars look so cool heat them up in the parking lot. A number of articles state silver and white cars are 15 F cooler than other colors....my OEM color is closer to black. Kind of expected someone to say a dropcloth to drape the car outdoors would be cheaper.

Admittedly, filling in 2-3 minor dings and touchup with a paint gun, keeping the OEM metallic grey color would be a lot less trouble.

BTW, I plan to do the painting myself....have to do a little practice before painting the Prius.

Last edited by Chuck.; 09-12-2016 at 03:39 AM..
Old 09-12-2016, 02:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I wouldn't bother with the grid charger personally. Toyota's battery management is way better than Honda's was. Its fairly rare to hear about issues with the Toyota packs even with as old as they're getting.
I've had bad experiences with traction packs, so my paranoia might be understandable. My 2000 Insight went thru two packs - Texas heat, me not understanding batteries better, and Honda's less than resilient batteries. After my Insight collision, I bought the 2nd Prius looked at. The 1st Prius' traction pack State of Charge went from 1 to 7 bars like a yo-yo, meaning that traction pack was a dead man walking.

A secondary motive for getting a traction pack is I might buy older Toyota hybrids and resell them after refurbishing the pack.

Reply  Post New Thread