Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #451 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Scoob - '05 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE
90 day: 25.28 mpg (US)
I mentioned this before somewhere, but the difference between the 3904 and 3906 is NPN vs PNP transistors. They work backwards from eachother. It's definitely possible to create an equivalent circuit, but they're not drop-in replacements.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #452 (permalink)
Addicted

bbjsw10 - '91 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 51.06 mpg (US)
So is the list in post #1 all I will need to build on of these, I don't wanna read all 23 pages Lazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awillard69 View Post

The Freeduino v2.0 is mounted to the removable back using stand-offs. The guts of the interface are contained on the Protoshield. Since the shield is connected to the LCD, the shield can be disconnected and the Freeduino completely removed, or even replaced, without disrupting the device - easy service or upgrade.

The case is a 2x2.5x5 from the Shack.
Like the protosheild you have that is not in the list or did you do that on your own. I love your setup and want to copy that as closely as possible. So any help would be great. Buying this weekend I hope.

And is the script in post 1 updated with all adjustments so far.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #453 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Dakota - '00 Dodge Dakota Club Cab, Sport
90 day: 18.57 mpg (US)

Jeep - '01 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
90 day: 18.46 mpg (US)
Yes, post #1 contains the shopping list and DCB keeps the code listing current. Direct any questions to him if you have a specific concern.

I went down the path of the serial Freeduino v2.0 from NKC Electronics. Since I didn't want a spaghetti mess for everything (LCD, buttons, interface components, etc.) hanging on the 'duino, I opted for the proto shield. All the connections are passed through so it was a sweet choice for a plug-n-go design.

I can pull the 'duino from the proto shield and use it in another project, if needed.

Also, there was some early concern with blowing the 'duino board, so transferring a bunch of individual connections wasn't my idea of progress. You can see my earlier attempt at the modularity somewhere in this thread's history. It turned out that I was trying to create what the proto shield already had.

The shopping list is the minimum, and yes, the proto shield does add to the cost, but it's a better choice in the long run, for my situation anyway. That is, short of a more compact all-in-one setup, like the one to put all the circuitry on a single PCB.

How much does it cost? Well, for me, here is my list, maybe others can add theirs:

Freeduino, serial v2.0: 16.99
Proto shield: 11.99
LCD 9.99
Enclosure 2.99
------------------------------
Total 41.96

This is not counting the buttons, connectors, hookup wire, heat shrink tubing, solder and any other items I had laying around or managed to scrounge/scavenge/beg/borrow/steal.

As you can see, opting out of the proto shield and enclosure can cut the cost almost in half. I like the neatness of the enclosure, myself, and the shield was a natural.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:27 PM   #454 (permalink)
Addicted

bbjsw10 - '91 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 51.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by awillard69 View Post

I went down the path of the serial Freeduino v2.0 from NKC Electronics.

I like the neatness of the enclosure, myself, and the shield was a natural.
Thanks for telling me about NKC, and I love the way yours just flows and looks like an actual product. I want something nice looking and secure and yours suits that bill nicely. I am gonna order me some stuff this weekend I hope. Crossing fingers. Thanks Man.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #455 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Dakota - '00 Dodge Dakota Club Cab, Sport
90 day: 18.57 mpg (US)

Jeep - '01 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
90 day: 18.46 mpg (US)
If you are going to pursue the proto shield, be warned that the version of the shield that I got had a bug in that the +5v trace was not connected across the pads. I had to solder a wire to create the connection. Only a nuisance. It's been a while since I reported it to them, so, perhaps they have revised the board and it's not an issue. Just so you know.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #456 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Like the enclosure awillard. I'll try and finish mine once school is out. The whole project has been on the backburner lately.

I noticed the source contains an include for eeprom.h. I missed the discussion on this, but are we saving things to the chips eeprom now? I thought about that when I first saw the project and looked into a little. I'm very interested in utilizing the eeprom.

Matt
Old 07-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #457 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

^^ Yea, I think DCB is using the eeprom to store the variables for vsspulses, microsecondspergallon, etc, so that with each code update we don't need to change the #defines. Pressing all three buttons at once brings you into a setup screen where you can modify the variables.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #458 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Could someone give me a quick rundown of what the proto shield is, and why you would use it? I see it offered with the Freeduino boards but it is not required according to post 1 of this thread.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 07-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #459 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

It's basically a piece of prototyping board with headers that will connect directly into the freeduino's headers, so that you can build your auxiliary circuit and snap it together with your 'duino. Just a simple modularity thing - not required, but keeps your board clean. Check out the difference between awillard's 'guino and dcb's original. You'll understand.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #460 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Oh thats cool. Ive already got my stuff on order but I might just try one of those too. Of course I could just take a pc board and solder some pins in the right places to make something similar.

I was thinking of doing something similar, using a piece of hard drive cable to connect parts. Ive been thinking about making a 2 piece setup for cleaner installation in my dashes which have limited real estate. One half would have the display and switches in a small clean enclosure, with a hard drive connector. That would mount on the dash, one custom matched to each car. The other half would have the Freeduino and all the rest of the parts on a PC board in just whatever type of enclosure, with a hard drive connector, and it could be tucked in behind the dash. And of course the two would be connected with a neat looking hard drive cable. Or something different if I have interference problems or anything.

Then I can take the mpguino out, either to reprogram it, or to swap between vehicles. And keep the display unit in place already made for each dash.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Reply  Post New Thread