Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #501 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Not a problem, but just so I'm not taking up space on the page, here's a link to the directory.

Index of /images/duino

There's still some stuff that could potentially be trimmed to save room, but I think I've invested enough time already. I have my reasons for letting the components stick out the back of the enclosure. The 7805 does get a bit hot, so cooling is a concern. The terminals are sticking out because it makes it very easy to access the screws for the wire clamps. Space was also getting tight and I wanted everything to fit comfortably. The terminal blocks would easily be replaced with another type of connector and the 7805 could definitely fit inside of the enclosure w/o a problem (well, the heat would still be a concern).

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #502 (permalink)
Deals Hunter

Red "Vicks" - '93 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 52.23 mpg (US)
Drivenbynothing, great look enclosure you have there. I think you should try to cut some line/opening across the back and top of the case. This will help ventilate air and cool the unit. Got a link to how the case look like on radioshack?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #503 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Dakota - '00 Dodge Dakota Club Cab, Sport
90 day: 18.57 mpg (US)

Jeep - '01 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
90 day: 18.46 mpg (US)
drivenByNothing: Nice unit.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #504 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Just thinking out loud. I've been toying with the idea of bending up a small piece of aluminum sheet into a box in the vise. Also, if you've done any model work, a thin wooden box would be pretty simple to fabricate. You could probably have a whole thread on enclosures
Old 08-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #505 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Dakota - '00 Dodge Dakota Club Cab, Sport
90 day: 18.57 mpg (US)

Jeep - '01 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
90 day: 18.46 mpg (US)
Yes, a whole thread just on enclosures.

Your idea of a metal enclosure would likely lead to careless shorts unless you went to great lengths to prevent it. Such as painting the inside of the enclosure with some non-conductive coating, DupliColor Truck Bed Coating comes to mind; or maybe 'wallpapering' the interior with masking or duct tape.

The plastic enclosures work nice, if you can find one to meet your size requirements!

A good enclosure can really dress up the look of the finished product.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #506 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Moving on with the WIKI page

Well I did not get much response from anyone concerning the Wiki page, but I went ahead and started one. Check it out!! MPGuino - Combustory

I would really like to get some support on this page, and anyone that is interested, please email me at combustor@combustory.com

You all did a great job on this project, and I would like to support it by documenting it better for others. This forum is way to cumbersome to wade through the info and pick out the relevant data.

I have some questions:

How many cars has this been tested on?
For those cars are there any specific tips for future viewers?
I would like to post the created enclosures as well.
Any new developments going on?
I could probably come with more questions, but this will do for now.

TruckTrash
Old 08-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #507 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
I thought of making a metal enclosure but for the concern of shorts, I didnt do it. I work with sheetmetal all day at work so itd be super easy. But even with some sort of internal coating, circuit board pins and solder points are sharp and could eat through in no time if something rubs.

Nice work on the black iduino enclosure. Ive thought about making a custom sized enclosure from plastic, perfect for where it is needed, plus with the appropriate mounting points attached. One way to do it would be to use something like a cut up car glovebox, old TV, or really just about anything. They sell a thick superglue and an instant spritz hardener (typically from mail order, guitar shop supply, taxidermy supply, etc.) that lets you build the joints up and it becomes extremely strong. Ive used it before and it is amazing stuff. Then sand it and paint it.

Im thinking of trying the iduino for my next mpguino, since the first one was a success for the most part. I might try something different for the enclosure, since I would be able to go smaller.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 08-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #508 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rex-O-Saurus - '90 Honda CRX HF
90 day: 43.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckTrash View Post
Well I did not get much response from anyone concerning the Wiki page, but I went ahead and started one. Check it out!! MPGuino - Combustory

I would really like to get some support on this page, and anyone that is interested, please email me at combustor@combustory.com

You all did a great job on this project, and I would like to support it by documenting it better for others. This forum is way to cumbersome to wade through the info and pick out the relevant data.

I have some questions:

How many cars has this been tested on?
For those cars are there any specific tips for future viewers?
I would like to post the created enclosures as well.
Any new developments going on?
I could probably come with more questions, but this will do for now.

TruckTrash
Nice job, I'm probably going to order one in the next few weeks and having all this info in one place will help save alot of time.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #509 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckTrash View Post
There are pro's and cons to having it hosted elsewhere. There is a wiki on google that is being utilized currently but no one has run with it for the mpguino much yet, and of course hosting it on wikipedia is an option too and it should enjoy a long service life there (or on google). Of course there is the wiki on ecomodder as well. I created a url for your wiki for now till it looks like there is a clear consensus though. Any chance you would want to do it on one of the other three locations?

1. Here is nice because everyone is authenticated already, but you'll have to thump Ben and Darin occasionaly

2. Google is nice because it ties the code and documention together in one location and is a little simpler interface IMHO.

3. Wikipedia is nice, because, well, it is Wikipedia.

temp wiki url:
http://opengauge.org/wiki/mpguino/
Old 08-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #510 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The MPGuino Wiki

DCB,

Well, then that covers it, since no one else wants to take it on and I am willing to take it on, then let's keep it at my site for now, because it is easier for me modify.

In true Open fashion, the source for my MPGuino Wiki is completely available and the best news is, if you ever want to move it to Wikipedia, it is the exact same notation, being that my Wiki SW is the same as Wikipedia.

I will update it as I get time, but it sure would be helpful if I could get people that have already done it provide me information. It would be quicker if anyone wants to help to email the info to me at combustor@combustory.com.

If not, I will continue to comb through the forum and search for pertinent info.

Again, Awesome project!!!!

TruckTrash

Reply  Post New Thread