Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #51 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Milano Red VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)
I was thinking and i might do this. I may just set close numbers like 8090 and default usec and reset all stats to zero. Fill her up and drive entire tank. Than i will take margin of error get both numbers, adjust and do this 2 more times to get more accurate reading. I think that's best way of approaching it. This short term fiddling is useless. lol

Last edited by stewie; 05-04-2013 at 12:55 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
I was thinking and i might do this. I may just set close numbers like 8090 and default usec and reset all stats to zero. Fill her up and drive entire tank. Than i will take margin of error get both numbers, adjust and do this 2 more times to get more accurate reading. I think that's best way of approaching it. This short term fiddling is useless. lol
That's the wise approach. Don't be scientific about it just calibrate is properly and that will be the best and most acurate method to get your MPGuino throw the right numbers.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 05-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Honda
Thanks Andrzej. This is still werid to me. WD40 i have tip for you. You were talking about when you change settings guino freezes and you have to unplug power. That happened to me once and if you leave it alone, meaning frozen for 5-10 it will come back to previous setting but wont reset your stats data. Then one can change settings again and you don't have to loose tank data.

BTW for default usec value for vx setting for VSS is different too, so i guess it does make a difference. I am going to be using 8074 and tweak full tank on it. Default usec with 8074 vss seems right for my tank mpgs so far. It's really close to what i usually get. Perhaps we needed to tweak VSS as our tires are bigger size and usec usage is, should be the same as why would it be different.

Anyway did a test this morning and on 8074 milage with default wiki usec was slight by 0.05 over and i know for fact that gps has margin of error as once i didn't move at all and it moved 0.03 m. So technically this number could be bulls eye with default usec. But I decided to fiddle with it further and will try 8076.

Last edited by stewie; 05-06-2013 at 01:42 PM..
Old 05-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #54 (permalink)
EcoMod Proof of Concept

WD-40's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 56.04 mpg (US)

WD-40's Mirage - '15 Mitsubushi Mirage ES
Mitsubishi
90 day: 46.05 mpg (US)

WD-40's Sonata Hybrid - '17 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited
stewie:
I have had the mpguino freeze for over 8 hours up during a trip to California.
That might have been heat related tho, because my gps also froze up on that trip.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:15 AM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
My MPGuino was freezing due to electrical noise from relay switching power to radiator fan in Previa. After putting a diode to cut the noise everything started to work flawlessly

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 05-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Honda
Ok so i found out more info. With default usec the vss number that is a match is 8079 to the offset of xx.xx2 (yes that's tripple). I'm testing now 8080. I also found out why my numbers were off a bit. First thing with .xxx offset the gps can not be moved at all once it reset to zero and before numbers are written down cause move of hand impacts the offset. Second gps unit needs to reside as close on dash as possible as vss sensor is by wheel somewhere. So that is why GPS number were different.

I will get this number right and i'm 3/4 tank out now so by the time im empty i will then test usec and test long distance mileage as well. Tank mpgs show now 50.20mpgs for my vx. I use to get 45-48mpgs when it was colder. Now that is hotter it will jump. Also i bumped by tires prior to guino install from 34psi (for winter) to 45psi summer so it will bump mpgs as well. Seems right on the money considering adjustments i have made however i do remember my style of driving would not get me over 50mpgs very often. It always was close to that number 48-49.5mpgs. Use to get on my nerves. Hopefully guino will help with that but i'm in major city and driving like 90 yr old grandma doesn't really work here with amount of traffic. Anway hope this help everyone if some is curious. Again this is for stock vx with 175 somewhat worn tires.

Based on testing and what i have learned i would say that everyone needs to calibrate guino to their OWN car as tires size, tire WEAR, weight of car, what is in the trunk or if it's empty all impacts MPGS and number guino will spit out so default numbers are good for start but won't work exactly even if car is same year, make and model as there are differences between injectors wear, weight, tire size and tire wear which will impact your distance and MPGS so calibrate your guino to your own car based on default numbers.

Last edited by stewie; 05-08-2013 at 02:20 PM..
Old 05-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #57 (permalink)
EcoMod Proof of Concept

WD-40's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 56.04 mpg (US)

WD-40's Mirage - '15 Mitsubushi Mirage ES
Mitsubishi
90 day: 46.05 mpg (US)

WD-40's Sonata Hybrid - '17 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited
stewie:
I was trying to go for a tank reading but forgot to read the total tank mileage on the mpguino before i reset it .. lol
I took readings along the way to compare actual to it and it seemed pretty close..
mpguino = 546.2757 klm
actual = 545.4537 klm
hows your tank readings going
Old 05-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #58 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Honda
yo yo yo....ok so i finished my tank this weekend and got 48.66mpgs based on my tank and fill up and gunio was showing some 51.xx on it with default wiki usec, so i devided the numbers and came up with close to 3.xx % (exact # was taken) and multipied default usec (which btw is too high and incorrect for my car at least) then subtracted as it's too high and came up with usec 0268317044 but then my miles started to deviate (wtf) so did 12 mile run to gym and came up with new vsspm of 8214. My tank miles were very close of 1mpg after usec adjustment but i reset tank since then so after my vsspm adjustment i do not know what tank mpgs would be so now i have two new number which i'm going to test next tank on and round and round we go...lol. Anyway i hope vsspm now not gonna throw tank mpgs off but i have a feeling it will so i may come up again with 3% margin of error. Thing is when adjusting one variable to get close you can not touch other but miles were off so i need to adjust that so this is messed up dude. My hope is to get to 1% or less tank mpgs difference.

What both numbers you were testing? BTW for you car you numbers will be different as you have mods and psi pressure i do not have. I'm testing all this on 45psi. BTW on side note did you notice any mpgs difference when you bumped from 45 to 50psi. I will not be adjusting pressure until my guino # are right but want to know. I wish i had 12 gal tank as mine 10 gal only gets to 390m mark at best, 400 if i ran her dry. Good to hear from you WD40

EDIT;

Did another run and now getting 8087 and matched mileage. Tomorrow will do another one. It seem to me that vsspm might be fluctuating so as long as it's match few times and then do usec match then that might be it.

Last edited by stewie; 05-12-2013 at 11:23 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #59 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
TBH my guino is calibrated slightly off to show lower numbers that I can get at the pump, and it makes me more eager to focus on better FE

Quote:
Old 05-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #60 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
stewie:
I was trying to go for a tank reading but forgot to read the total tank mileage on the mpguino before i reset it .. lol
I took readings along the way to compare actual to it and it seemed pretty close..
mpguino = 546.2757 klm
actual = 545.4537 klm
hows your tank readings going
WD40 i did another run and 8087 or 8088 matches with my new usec. I also checked the calculation the way Andrzej suggested and came up with same number. What VSSPM and usec numbers you're running??? I was thinking and your usec number will be different as you are getting better mpgs due to psi, lighter car weight and mods, however since we have same 175 tires our VSSPM should be same or close (as worn tires affect as well). Andrzej sweet. Thank you. I will try to run my as accurate as possible. MPGS numbers will very due to hotter tempetures anyway which are coming soon.

Reply  Post New Thread