Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #121 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I am just trying to figure out how I spent five hundred dollars at the grocery store in one month!
WOW!!!

Did you stock up on some items????

EDIT:
I just found out that's about what we spend a month average for two people.

My wife does the budgeting. I just play in the garage.

Last edited by pgfpro; 11-30-2014 at 04:08 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-05-2014, 01:29 AM   #122 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Update:

I did my first test runs and everything looks great so far. Now its time pull the head one more time to check some burn shadows. I recorded no knock so I'm sure it will be good but I won't be able to sleep until I see the piston tops and combustion chambers. If it all looks good then I will finish the rear turbo cover and scatter shield and permanently mount a lot of the items.

The turbo compound system is doing what I wanted and is making 1 to 2 lbs of boost while in ultra lean burn load with Crankcase pressure at 0 psi.

I need to build a better pre-heater for the high heat direct port. My new design will be two 2 1/2" cans that will bolt on top of the inner exhaust manifold runners. In side will be copper coils that will feed the direct port dual lines. I'm also going to build a fresh air vent to control the temperature of the direct port high system. Right now I could run a higher temperature, but I'm sure in the Summer when the ambient temps are higher I will not need as much heat?

Well there is bunch more to write about but I think I'M about to loose my power??? Were having a pretty bad ice storm as I write this and I think I just heard a few transformers blow. I have my house at 75*F and got my shop heat turned all the way up to pre heat the concrete so it will stay warm for a few days if we loose our power like the last freezing rain storm we had.
I know I should of installed a fire place this Summer.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #123 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

New Flow Chart with HOT/COLD EGR added:

My EGR now can utilize my intercooler for COLD EGR during Ultra Lean burn mode or HOT EGR during light to med load vacuum.

In COLD EGR it uses exhaust back pressure 3 lbs.+ that dumps exhaust into charge pipe that's pre intercooler that is 2 lbs or less. The Cold EGR system can flow up to 20 % of total exhaust.

In HOT EGR mode its more traditional and is non-intercooler in vacuum only.
This HOT EGR system will also help with my new paint waste solvent system. The new paint waste solvent system will add a new hydro carbon fuel for energy, plus help with emission's by adding small amounts hydro carbon's for stoich or slightly rich to keep the CAT happy.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #124 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
What is the reasoning for using cold EGR for lean burn and hot for light/medium loads?
Old 12-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #125 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
What is the reasoning for using cold EGR for lean burn and hot for light/medium loads?
For Cold EGR on my engine there are a few advantages I have found.

1) Knock Reduction.
I have found that when Cold EGR is enable I can maintain high load and decrease the air to fuel ratio (add fuel) and lower BSFC from increasing the timing advance while maintaining high load. A traditional HOT EGR would increase a tendency to knock and timing advance would have to be decreased.

OK now this is where it gets confusing. With my ability to run Ultra Lean Burn I have to increase timing advance a ton to make any power due to lean burn's slow burn rate. This helps a ton with pumping losses (running at 0 inch/hg to 2 psi). But there's a point of diminishing returns. Running this lean reduces pumping losses a ton, but at the same time increases BSFC due to a poorer efficiency due to running a higher timing advance. So by running mass amounts of cold EGR to keep from knocking I can now increase the fuel amounts for a more efficient BSFC with out losing high load due to less mass air. Where before if I were to add fuel the engine would increase its power due to the large amounts of air from the lean condition. This would in turn make me have to back off the throttle in which would increase pumping losses.

a) So I have kept my throttle angle and a high load (low pumping losses).
b) Increased fuel amounts for a improved BSFC.
c) Move my timing advance closer to TDC by a increase of the burn rate.
d) Increased efficiency by maintaining a correct ignition advance due to cold EGR.

OK back to (C) LOL
By getting closer to TDC for ignition I improve the likelihood of a misfire. This is due to a smaller quench area.

2) Lower Exhaust Back Pressure and Exhaust Temperature.

Lowering exhaust back pressure and temperature helps with knock and improves engine delta p. At low rpm high load there's a much higher risk of damaging exhaust valves due to high pressure and high temperature.

3) The ability to run higher amounts of EGR at a higher rpm and higher load.

This extends the mass air and high load without running extreme EGR temperatures. Cold EGR helps when running above traditional hot EGR mass flow.

Hot EGR advantages.

Hot EGR advantages in my case are just about normal controlling exhaust emissions.

My HOT EGR system will have one other job and that's working in conjunction with my new self contained waste solvent fuel system.
I'M adding a fuel system that will burn waste solvent from my local Auto Body shops. I'M going to run the waste solvent through my friends UNI Ram URS900solvent recycler just to make sure know one added any paint a other crap to the 5 gallon containers I pick up from the body shops.

This waste solvent system will only work while the engine is in vacuum. It will have a first stage preheater that runs off the engines coolant system then a second stage heater that is already installed ( hot air system) and the HOT EGR system. It has its own fuel tank, fuel pump and emulsifier jetting. The heating will be a must due to the Specific Gravity of the solvents themselves.

EDIT:
The waste solvent system will work along side of the normal fuel system and not by itself.

Last edited by pgfpro; 12-10-2014 at 01:35 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
Daox (12-10-2014), deanznz (11-04-2023), roflwaffle (02-03-2015), RustyLugNut (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #126 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
This thread journey has been very entertaining for me. Bravo! Learning about engine theory and design has been an interest for me since I was a child. I think what you have put together here is very cool! My intro to turbo torque was in a car much like your own. I'm learning a lot more about the practical limits and function of lean burn, timing and EGR effect on function. Its great. I can see how you would get sick of messing with it, though. I've been there. Took me 14 years to finish my restoration mainly because of money and school. I applaud your drive and energy! Both of which are all but gone in me. So, I will continue to armchair cheerlead. Carry on!

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html
The Following User Says Thank You to kafer65 For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #127 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafer65 View Post
This thread journey has been very entertaining for me. Bravo! Learning about engine theory and design has been an interest for me since I was a child. I think what you have put together here is very cool! My intro to turbo torque was in a car much like your own. I'm learning a lot more about the practical limits and function of lean burn, timing and EGR effect on function. Its great. I can see how you would get sick of messing with it, though. I've been there. Took me 14 years to finish my restoration mainly because of money and school. I applaud your drive and energy! Both of which are all but gone in me. So, I will continue to armchair cheerlead. Carry on!
Thank You!!!

I'M very grateful that in this part of my life I can play with this Science Project and not have to worry about it if it leaves me stranded (in which it has) and not have another car to drive.

The other part that I like is the recorded data logs. There is so much information in the logs that it really helps with getting a outside view of what's going on when I make changes. When driving you can only pick up so much by the seat of the pants tuning. lol

I just found out that I can have all the waste solvent I can pack off from my local Auto Body Shops. It helps that I'M there local Auto Paint Jobber and they trust me and know I won't be just dumping the solvent somewhere.

My first thoughts on burning waste solvent as a fuel was to keep the CAT happy and run my lean burn normal (lock open loop tables) and add the waste solvent to achieve 14.7A/F. But now I'M thinking this will also get me some gains in fuel mileage also? How much I don't know? But I can't wait to find out.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #128 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
Should keep the valves nice and clean and you don't have to worry about free fatty acid jelly building up in the crank case like the fryer oil folks do

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html
The Following User Says Thank You to kafer65 For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (12-10-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #129 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

UPDATE:
Did some testing with my mock up "Off Road Racing" Waste Solvent System fuel system.

I should be able to burn up to 20% of total engine fuel mass combined. Possible 30% during Summer months.

The main solvent is Toluene, around 70% in the waste solvent IM getting and has a Specific Gravity of 0.865 so pre-heating is a must.

This should save me a ton of $$$ running this system on pump premium 92 Octane verse racing fuel.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #130 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Hot/cold egr, waste solvet flow chart

My new Hot/Cold EGR, Waste Solvent Flow Chart.

Modes:

1)Normal. Both systems disabled
2)High Heat, Light Load
3)Hot EGR only, Light to Medium Load
4)Hot EGR, High Heat, Light Load
5)Cold EGR, Light to Medium Load
6)Normal Waste Solvent Light Load
7)High Heat, Waste Solvent, Light Load
8)Hot EGR Waste Solvent, Light Load
9)Hot EGR, High Heat, Waste solvent, Light Load
10)Cold EGR, High Heat, Waste Solvent, Light Load
11)Cold EGR, Waste Solvent, High to Medium Load
12)Boost Tank, Extreme High Load

Last edited by pgfpro; 01-01-2015 at 04:56 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
deanznz (11-04-2023)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
bio fuel, lean burn, turbo compound