Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dr. J

Talking my custom CAWAI

Greetings from the Philippines!! For the past 2 days I've been searching for various in parts in doing my custom CAWAI or Cold-Air Warm-Air Intake. Having done several researches over the net Hypermilers prefer Warm Air intake (for references 65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com) to improve their MPG/KML but at the expense of engine power while Cold air intake is preferred by performance tuners for extra power.

Today I tried doing the best of both worlds by doing a intake that can perform both as a CAI (on high speeds) and WAI (on low speeds) and here it is:

blue arrows - the end of this tube is directed towards the outside environment and the tube end faces and catches wind when the car moves forward

red arrows - these are holes I made to the connecting pipe which hold the two hoses, the holes serve to draw in warm air form the engine bay to the carburetor which is made during idling or slow speed which I hope would provide a better FE

blue-green triangle - the holes I made also serve another purpose. This is monsoon seasons and heavy rain and floods are now common. These Holes serve as a bypass when negotiating thru a flood, this prevents air being sucked up to the carb/intake and instead draws air again from the engine bay.

green arrow - air going to the intake

Tomorrow I'll try to post a pic with this installed on my engine.

So that's it! I hope this works! I hope that somehow my FE would improve without the expense of my engine power. I'll update you guys by next weekend.

Thanks in advance!!!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Interesting idea. I would think that even at idle most of the air would be pulled through the larger opening and you would only receive slightly warmed air (mixture of the two openings). How do you plan on testing? Let us know how it works out.

In the picture it looks to be of a small diameter what car is it to be used on?
Old 06-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dr. J

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Interesting idea. I would think that even at idle most of the air would be pulled through the larger opening and you would only receive slightly warmed air (mixture of the two openings). How do you plan on testing? Let us know how it works out.

In the picture it looks to be of a small diameter what car is it to be used on?
thanks! well it would be a good try to see if that Warm intake works. The tubes are generic and I bought them at 150 pesos a piece in one of the local auto supplies in the provinces. Tomorrow until Saturday I'll be travelling form our home to the provincial hospital where I work and I would test my fuel economy. Right now i'm only getting 10-11 km/L on my 1991 Toyota Corolla. She has a 1.3 SOHC carbureted engine

Old 06-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dr. J

BTW, it's monsoon season right now rain is more common on the afternoons where I usually drive home and face floods along the way, I hope by making those holes my carb won't suck in water as long the flood is not that deep.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
The way the air intake system is mounted and coming across the exhaust manifold one would think you already have some benefit of preheating. Looks like part of the intake tube is wrapped with insulation?
Old 06-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dr. J

Quote:
The way the air intake system is mounted and coming across the exhaust manifold one would think you already have some benefit of preheating. Looks like part of the intake tube is wrapped with insulation?
oh sorry, that's the version 1 of my CAI at that time there no holes yet but thanks to this forum I learned a few things. By tomorrow I'll post some pictures with my CAWAI version 2 installed. Another question, should I put on insulation or not?
Old 06-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dr. J

as promised, here are the pictures of the CAWAI installed on my engine:

This is the WAI side of my intake (note: I removed the washer reservoir to have a more better view)

This is the CAI side of my intake (note: this is located just behind the front bumper right side)

another upgrade done, my new Electronic Distributor care of Koya She of SB Salon

Thanks!!!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
An electronic distributor should be more reliable than points and condenser. Looks like you have also modified the emissions system?
Old 06-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dr. J

Quote:
An electronic distributor should be more reliable than points and condenser. Looks like you have also modified the emissions system?
hello! after installing the electronic distributor I really noticed a btter idling and performance on my engine, at present I haven't computed ng FC (i'm still using the tank-to-tank method). Emission modifications? I still retained my stock intake and manifolds.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
I the early 70's my father did some fleet testing of GM HEI distributors. One of the thing he told me was that after 60K miles they would change the plugs and performance would go down, it seemed the new plugs were not gaped wide enough to take advantage of the output. As part of the changeover to an electric distributor were you require to change the plug type or gap?

Reply  Post New Thread