Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
My life dream...

... is to be a professional bass fisherman on the Bassmaster Elite Series.

Sounds crazy right? I agree, it is crazy. So crazy that no one supports my desire to pursue this goal.

I'm venting, so y'all hold on...

My whole life, I have been good at many things and have had interest in many different subjects. From geology to history, meteorology, agriculture, soil science, astronomy, I have had many interest in my short life. But nothing that I deemed career worthy.

I recently graduated with my B.S. in Agriculture Education. I loved the people I went to school with, the school and the subjects... but I disliked the fact that I was even getting the degree. I tried to get out; parents would not let me. Told me I need to finish what I started. So I stuck it out and have a Bachelor's degree. In a field that I am burnt out in and have no desire to work in! I've done agriculture my whole life, and quite honestly, don't want anymore of it.

So now what? I have a huge amount of student debt from a degree that I resent on a level, and can't get a job in my field, and honestly don't want a job in my field. On top of that, I'm engaged and have to provided for my soon-to-be wife, which is a big amount of stress.

All these emotions and struggles are twisted and knotted up inside of me and it drains me daily. I look for what I truly can call my passion, besides God.

Enter in bass fishing. Lol.

From the time I have been young, there have been many things I have been good at, but hardly anything that I excel at. Bass fishing has, strangely, been one of the few things in my life that I can do well, and better than others, 90% of time. I remember wanting to do this SO badly when I was younger! It is all I wanted to do, and when I was able to go, I fished hard. I learned. I watched. I listened. I did everything I could to get better at catching these all-american fish.

At some point, I forgot this dream and decided to take a "safe" approach to life by going into agriculture, a place where I had spent my entire life. I mean, it seemed purely logical. Whether it was planted in my mind by family, I don't recall nor will say and assume they did.

And look where it has got me. Into a mess, and my life feels like:

Lo and behold, my ex (who would have thought she'd still be able to help me?) shared a video on FaceBook a few days ago, and I just happened to see it. It was Jim Carey giving a speech at a college graduation. I was sucked in, and this part stuck out to me:

What timing!

So I am at a crossroads in my life. Continue on my safe route of agriculture, dislike what I do and have just as much a chance at failing as following my dream of being an Elite Series Champion, or make steps to follow my said dream?

Whoever takes the time to read this, thank you for giving time to my life and it's troubles. Feel welcome to leave any wisdom, advice or positive correction for this now teary-eyed young man on the other end of a keyboard.

Blessings y'all

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
How much do you want to hate what you do, and do you want the safe money enough to subject yourself to that?

I don't make recommendations, and the only advice I like to give is to buy low and sell high. But some girl on the radio the other day said that freedom was just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

SUV

Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
How much do you want to hate what you do, and do you want the safe money enough to subject yourself to that?

I don't make recommendations, and the only advice I like to give is to buy low and sell high. But some girl on the radio the other day said that freedom was just another word for nothin' left to lose.
None at all! It seems absurd to wake up everyday and dread even getting out of the bed for work. To me, that will drag you down in other areas in your life, especially how a person would relate to their friends and family.

I like how that woman said that. That's real talk.

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Old 01-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Crown Vic - '99 Ford Crown Victoria Base (P74)
90 day: 24.1 mpg (US)

Turtle - '98 Subaru Outback Sport
90 day: 30.53 mpg (US)
I walked away from my dream to provide for my growing family; I had my last sanctioned fight at 26 years of age and my girlfriend (now wife) who was 6 months pregnant at the time was my cut person/corner nurse. I lost. Then I took a long, objective look at what I was doing and where it would lead. I still have regrets once in a great while, but my pragmatic self knows I made the right decision.

You don't have to pigeonhole yourself into an agriculture related field, a degree opens all kinds of doors. There's a company called Flyin' Miata that semi-recently had a job opening for a sales/marketing/etc. position and one of the requirements was a degree. It didn't matter what kind, just A degree.

I've encountered this quite a few times. Maybe you could use that degree to land a great paying job with a predictable schedule then you could buy a boat and go fishing as often as possible.
'05 Outback 3.0R (wife's)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Jed For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (01-14-2016), Xist (01-16-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

So how have professional bass fishermen (sorry, but my mind's boggling a little at the idea that there even is such a thing) get a start in the business? I'd suspect they don't send out resumes to bass companies :-)

I'd give pretty good odds that those professional bass fisherman didn't just start out as that. You need to somehow figure out a workable path from where you are to where you want to be. And I'd bet that at least some of that path will have you working at jobs you really don't like, in order to get money &c needed for the next step. Mine sure did.

Maybe a start would be to type "how to become a professional bass fisherman" into Google's search box, and read some of the 80,700 hits. (Mind boggling again :-))

PS: And it's also a good idea to have a fallback plan, just in case you do everything right, but just aren't good enough to make it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Your trade is agriculture.
Your profession is angler.

Practice your profession while mastering your trade.

Get a gov't job in agriculture where you are not doing the work yourself but helping others make their work more productive. Like hypermiling a farm.

Try your hand at competitive angling and see if you meet the grade. Meanwhile let life show you some fun and some sorrow and maybe everything will work out if you let it. If not change course and keep going forward.

regards
mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

SUV

Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Jed View Post
I walked away from my dream to provide for my growing family; I had my last sanctioned fight at 26 years of age and my girlfriend (now wife) who was 6 months pregnant at the time was my cut person/corner nurse. I lost. Then I took a long, objective look at what I was doing and where it would lead. I still have regrets once in a great while, but my pragmatic self knows I made the right decision.

You don't have to pigeonhole yourself into an agriculture related field, a degree opens all kinds of doors. There's a company called Flyin' Miata that semi-recently had a job opening for a sales/marketing/etc. position and one of the requirements was a degree. It didn't matter what kind, just A degree.

I've encountered this quite a few times. Maybe you could use that degree to land a great paying job with a predictable schedule then you could buy a boat and go fishing as often as possible.
That is definitely one possibility that would be heaven sent I've got to figure out how to find a job such the one you listed! A man I know of, Mike Long, did that when he was gunning for the world record Largemouth Bass. Worked out pretty well, as he was able to log a lot of hours on the water and catch a 20-12 LMB.

One thing to mention is I am being pressured to get an agriculture related job from family and friends. So I don't "waste" my degree -_- which is absolute crap, but it is on me irregardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
So how have professional bass fishermen (sorry, but my mind's boggling a little at the idea that there even is such a thing) get a start in the business? I'd suspect they don't send out resumes to bass companies :-)

I'd give pretty good odds that those professional bass fisherman didn't just start out as that. You need to somehow figure out a workable path from where you are to where you want to be. And I'd bet that at least some of that path will have you working at jobs you really don't like, in order to get money &c needed for the next step. Mine sure did.

Maybe a start would be to type "how to become a professional bass fisherman" into Google's search box, and read some of the 80,700 hits. (Mind boggling again :-))

PS: And it's also a good idea to have a fallback plan, just in case you do everything right, but just aren't good enough to make it.
Check it out Mr. James --> Bassmaster

Oh no, they didn't just start out as pros. They had the passion and the vision first, which is what I have. They started in local bass clubs and worked their way through the ranks. I would have to do the same thing, it's just actually doing it is what seems so far out of reach!

I have a plan on how I can get to the Elite Series in probably 5-7 years. Just have to implement... and only I can do that.

Here is a good link for a how-to become a pro - 9 steps to going pro | Bassmaster

Also, I have a Bachelor's in Agriculture Education to fall back on but I won't need it, because I am going to succeed. I am good enough Got to have the right attitude man, it's a big part of becoming successful in the professional curcuit!

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Old 01-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

SUV

Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Your trade is agriculture.
Your profession is angler.

Practice your profession while mastering your trade.

Get a gov't job in agriculture where you are not doing the work yourself but helping others make their work more productive. Like hypermiling a farm.

Try your hand at competitive angling and see if you meet the grade. Meanwhile let life show you some fun and some sorrow and maybe everything will work out if you let it. If not change course and keep going forward.

regards
mech
Great advice Grandpa

I'm actively looking and seeking a job like you listed. I will try at my dream with all I've got, but will keep an open mind to what direction life is trying to take me. That's all I can do, I reckon.

The only reason I want to become a professional bass fisherman is because there is no such thing as professional hypermiler!

Now if y'all will excuse me, I need to go out and practice my profession

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Old 01-14-2016, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
I like how that woman said that. That's real talk.

Quote:
The result of the sessions was the posthumously released Pearl (1971). It became the biggest-selling album of her career[29] and featured her biggest hit single, a cover of Kris Kristofferson's "Me and Bobby McGee." Kristofferson had been Joplin's lover in the spring of 1970.[45] In 2003, Pearl was ranked No. 122 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janis_Joplin
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 11:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDiesel View Post
Oh no, they didn't just start out as pros. They had the passion and the vision first, which is what I have. They started in local bass clubs...
And here I I've gone through a fairly-long life thinking that the point of fishing was a) recreation; and b) pan-frying :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
roosterk0031 (01-15-2016)
Reply  Post New Thread