Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2021, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My name is Glenn. Long time lurker

Hi to everyone. I need to make 15 posts before listing my VX for sale, so here goes.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-26-2021, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
If you've been lurking for a while before joining, I guess you're going to enjoy the forum even after you sell the VX.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

yes, I like economical cars. Started with a 71 Corolla and graduated to a 79 Rabbit diesel...decades ago.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJKH View Post
yes, I like economical cars
I must confess a greater appreciation for economical cars is something that has been taking me a while to understand.

Quote:
Started with a 71 Corolla
RWD Corollas were never officially available in my country, yet once in a while I used to see a handful with Uruguayan plates.

Quote:
graduated to a 79 Rabbit diesel...decades ago.
My closest contact with old-school Volkswagen IDI Diesel engines was when an uncle of mine converted a Suzuki Vitara to Diesel with an engine sourced from a Kombi.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
My closest contact with old-school Volkswagen IDI Diesel engines was when an uncle of mine converted a Suzuki Vitara to Diesel with an engine sourced from a Kombi.
Wait a second! There was a diesel Kombi? We're talking about the same Kombi van, the original Type 2, correct? I didn't know there was a diesel version.

PS. Hi Glenn! And welcome to the forum!
Old 08-28-2021, 02:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Wait a second! There was a diesel Kombi? We're talking about the same Kombi van, the original Type 2, correct?
Just to remind, here in Brazil we also refer to the Panel, Pritsche and DoKa as a Kombi. These were the only ones available locally with a Diesel, yet the Kombi had it as an export option due to a local regulation rendering the fitment of a Diesel engine into a 2WD vehicle with a payload below one metric ton nearly impossible since '76.

Old 08-28-2021, 06:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Just to remind, here in Brazil we also refer to the Panel, Pritsche and DoKa as a Kombi. These were the only ones available locally with a Diesel, yet the Kombi had it as an export option due to a local regulation rendering the fitment of a Diesel engine into a 2WD vehicle with a payload below one metric ton nearly impossible since '76.

Yes. That's the Kombi I was thinking of since they're called Kombis in Mexico too. Here in the USA we call them the VW Bus for the most part.

Was the diesel also air-cooled or was it water cooled as in the Vanagon? And if it was water cooled, was it a boxer?
Old 08-28-2021, 09:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Was the diesel also air-cooled or was it water cooled as in the Vanagon? And if it was water cooled, was it a boxer?
That's the same EA827 inline-4 as in the Vanagon, yet not so extremely slanted down. AFAIK the only experience with air-cooled Diesel engines in any Brazilian Volkswagen happened in the '70s when Agrale (a local manufacturer of tractors and commercial vehicles) tested some of its Hatz-licensed inline-2 engines into Beetles and Kombis, even planning to release it as a crate-engine before Diesel conversions for cars were mostly outlawed around '76. But it also required the engine compartment to be raised in order to accomodate that engine, just like it was done on South African Vanagons with the inline-5 Audi engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (08-30-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Cool

Haha I was also a long time lurker (But your post got me to finally sign up) I used to have a VX for quite a few years and I had sold it because I had no where to park it before Now I had since bought a house got a spot in the garage with your vx's Name on it =). I had emailed you earlier but after reading all your posts on here about your friend I hope you'll take me up on my offer.
Pretty much I want to keep it as low miles, clean, and original as possible But I have a 30mile daily commute. I ride my bike 2 days a week but will need something for the days I'm not commuting. I am a shop teacher at a Tucson high school and have a protected covered spot that it will be parked during school. If you want some one to cherish your friend's beloved vx I am your guy =).
Old 08-30-2021, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
May I ask what a VX is please?

Google said: "VX is a human-made chemical warfare agent classified as a nerve agent."

For some reason I doubt that's what we're talking about here.