Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

need help making a hai (hot air intake for 1998 Saturn SL2)

I'm wanting to put a hai on my 98 saturn sl2. please someone explain to me how to do t his. Keep it in simple terms. I dont know much about this. Stuff so I'm at a loss. I understanf why to do the mod just now exactly how to build it for maximum effect. I appreciates it guys have a good one.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1820 View Post
I'm wanting to put a hai on my 98 saturn sl2. please someone explain to me how to do t his. Keep it in simple terms. I dont know much about this. Stuff so I'm at a loss. I understanf why to do the mod just now exactly how to build it for maximum effect. I appreciates it guys have a good one.
It depends on the engine a little, but here is the general idea: find your air filter box, usually on top of the engine, then find the intake tube that leads to it, about 2 inches diameter and usually black. Investigate how to detach the tube from the air filter box. They usually can be detached, but it might feel like a hassle to get it off when you are new to this. Now find the exhaust manifold (where the exhaust pipes exit the engine. (CAREFUL: make sure you do not touch the pipes without checking that they are not too hot!) Figure out the best route from the air filter box to the exhaust manifold for a pipe like the one you detached (getting to within a foot and preferable over the exhaust manifold will be enough). Now, take the intake tube you detached to the hardware store and more or less match its inner diameter to some plastic plumbing pipe or flexible foil type hose used for HVAC purposes (what exactly you get will depend on the route you identified). Affix that tube to the air filter box in a secure manner (engine shaking can knock pretty tight fittings loose, so make it tighter than it seems to need just to attach it and not have it fall off.

I hope that helps.

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

hey thanks. I guess I should of clarified im new to this hai. I am a motor head and do know quite a bit about cars in general. Thank You for keeping it simple though. My air box has the opening. To suck the air from the front and the side of the air box has the resonator. What confuses me is the two opening the resonator and the opening to suck air.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1820 View Post
What confuses me is the two opening the resonator and the opening to suck air.
the resonator should have one push pin in it that holds the resonator to the upper radiator support. once you remove the push pin, the part of the resonator going into the air box is just a round tube that will slide out. once you have the resonator removed you can block off the existing air inlet, one right behind the headlight. now you will be pulling all your air through the hole on the lower passenger side of the airbox, which would already be slightly warmer. from this point its up to you to fabricate some tubing to feed air from near the exhaust manifold to that hole on the airbox.

i've personally HAD a hot air intake on mine. when built to pull significant heat at highway speeds / air consumption, after the car was warmed up and i get stuck idling in traffic the car ran very poorly. so i've removed mine until i make some sort valve to be able to change my air intake source.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So you didnt like your hai? What would be the easiest cheapest way to hook a hose to the hole where the resonator. The hole is alot smaller. Won't that have a negative effect
Old 03-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
dakota1820 -

This is a good thread on the subject :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...akes-7602.html

Here is mine from the above thread :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/98579-post11.html
http://ecomodder.com/forum/98804-post13.html

Here is where I got the idea :

Modified air intake for hot air added 7.2% to mpg - SaturnFans Forums

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 03-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am going to cut the air filter box somehow. Where the resonator goes in. Where should I re route my iats to?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Team Saturn

in the path of the air.... i was lazy w/ mine since i was experimenting before going whole hog. pulled the sensor out, figured out how big of a hole i needed to be able to push the iat and connector through, and with the length of wire available (witch wasn't much as i didn't unravel the harness) picked a spot on the front side of the air box as close to the passenger side as i could be to drill a hole through and let the sensor dangle through, hanging by the wire.

i only ran a couple tanks like this, probably should do something better for long term use
Old 03-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I think im going to lengthen the iats and cut the factory intake hose slide the iats in and get some quick steel to glue it in real good? Sound like a decent idea? Also does it need to be in a certain position close to the end of the hose or closer to the throttle body?
Old 03-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Team Saturn

if you mean the hose between the air box lid and the throttle body i wouldn't. just because it creates a greater opportunity for dirt to get sucked into the engine sometime down the road, and i figured being in the air box before the air filter was more similar to the original location anyway

Reply  Post New Thread