Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2020, 10:07 PM   #431 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
The situation evorves:

No arr caps in his comments.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-29-2020, 10:56 PM   #432 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
He stayed on-script!

Deaths were down 427 today! Great job everyone!
[high-fives and shakes everyone's hands]

Old 03-29-2020, 11:33 PM   #433 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Those briefings led Congressional leadership to dump their stocks, but didn't lead them to contradict the prez. What are the states to do when the word from Washington is that everything's good?
Your implication that it's the White House's fault that states didn't act appropriately is contradicted in your first sentence. If people knew it was so serious that they sold their stocks, then they had the information they needed to protect their citizens.

Why local government doesn't take responsibility for the very thing they are responsible for would be beyond my comprehension except I know that's part of the flawed human condition.

I challenge anyone to say with a straight face that they look to Donald Trump, the reality TV personality, for pandemic guidance. Chemists haven't invented what you'd need to be on to look to Trump as the guiding light for local medical guidance.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 03-29-2020, 11:35 PM   #434 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist
Great job everyone!
Everybody except Bill DeBlasio:

Bill DeBlasio is To Blame The US Major Outbreak NOT Trump, But Still Mostly China

Tim Pool maps out who and when, him on January 23, Tucker Carson on February 3rd, Trump on march 1st and DeBlasio still telling everyone to party on the 15th after travel from Europe was ceased.
Quote:
...and here
we are New York the epicenter the United
States and I know China takes the blame
because if they had
told us the truth from the get-go this
could have been averted but you've got
to still point out the fact that de
Blasio had numerous opportunities to
deal with this properly now they claimed
Trump is bungling everything
Cities and counties are the proper venue for response, Federal should be backup.

Last edited by freebeard; 03-29-2020 at 11:42 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-30-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:56 PM   #435 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
A realer question is why you ignore the Doctor's tamping down that speculation.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ope-with-trump
Well because I have eyes and ears and have seen Trump contradict Dr. Fauci live on TV during his daily press briefing. I've also heard and saw Dr. Fauci speak truth followed by the President directly sending Pence back to the microphone to contradict Dr. Fauci and repeat the White House line.

Press Briefing on March 20th.

Reporter asks Trump "When will every American who needs a test get a test and be able to get a test?"

Trump say anyone that has symptoms can get testing. Says the early problems were not his fault that he inherited them. Insults the reporter for asking the question

A bit later a different reporter asks Dr. Fauci if we are meeting demands for tests.

Dr. Fauci says testing capabilities are better but not to the point that anyone with symptoms can get tested

Trumps send Pence back to the microphone to repeat the White House line and flatter Trump and say how the progress made would be possible without Trump's work and early reaction. He wraps up by saying if someone has symptoms to call their doctor and their doctor can get them the test.

Then Trump comes back to the mic and again blames earlier failures on the previous administration (That left 3 years ago) but now they have a new system that can test millions of people but the media isn't giving him the credit deserved.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:07 AM   #436 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
I'm almost starting to suspect leaders in this country are intentionally trying to kill boomers off to save the pension funds...

More seriously, I think a big part of it is that the general public did not take it seriously despite the virus being constantly on the news for weeks. At the office we have TV screens with the news playing and I clearly remember the virus being center of attention since January. I remember seeing the news about the virus in early January as people in Asia were taking precautions and more information was discovered about it. Now half the US population has collective amnesia and says they should've heard about it earlier...[facepalm]

No politicians wanted to make the unpopular move of shutting businesses down and telling people to not gather, since they'd just be attacked for fear mongering.

Somehow, not a single large city in the whole country shut down before it was very clear the situation was really bad. This is sad and terrifying to watch.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:23 AM   #437 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
More seriously, I think a big part of it is that the general public did not take it seriously despite the virus being constantly on the news for weeks. At the office we have TV screens with the news playing and I clearly remember the virus being center of attention since January. I remember seeing the news about the virus in early January as people in Asia were taking precautions and more information was discovered about it. Now half the US population has collective amnesia and says they should've heard about it earlier...[facepalm]
Yes, it was on the news. Just like Ebola, SARS, MERS and H1N1 were on the news but never effected daily life in the USA. The federal government said things were under control and we would be OK.

Is it our fault for believing them?

Old 03-30-2020, 12:52 AM   #438 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Yes, it was on the news. Just like Ebola, SARS, MERS and H1N1 were on the news but never effected daily life in the USA. The federal government said things were under control and we would be OK.

Is it our fault for believing them?
Okay you have a bit of a point, I wasn't worried either until I heard reports of community spread at the end of Feb. For me personally, having seen the news about how bad it was in Asia, that would've been the moment where if I were in a position of power, I would immediately say "stop large gatherings, work from home if possible, produce as many masks and face shields as possible, and where are the tests?".

However that's not what I saw from other people, who were entirely unconcerned until 2 weeks later.

Don't get me wrong, the message coming from the federal government is an important input into people's risk assessment. It's just prudent to look at the system and see that we had multiple points of failure from the CDC and FDA to the White House to the state governments.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:42 AM   #439 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH
Well because I have eyes and ears and have seen Trump contradict Dr. Fauci live on TV during his daily press briefing.
Did you close your eyes and plug your ears at that point? I bolded this point for it's importance:
Quote:
People in the health community say Fauci’s role has been important and note that the White House has not pushed back on or silenced the top health official after he has contradicted the president.
Do you not think we're all learning as we go along?

I've been self-isolated for a decade and especially since mid-January when I had that novel inflammation. I'm not interested in the COVID-19 test itself, but I'd like to be tested for anti-bodies. I used to feel like my only contribution society was interested in was whole blood (I'm 0 negative). But since I went on heart medication they don't even want that. Maybe in these circumstances?

Xist — Great news! I attached an external keyboard. L-L-L-L.

Quote:
Just like Ebola, SARS, MERS and H1N1 were on the news but never effected daily life in the USA.
Affecting an effectation? 44 was asleep at the switch. //duckduckgo.com/?q=H1N1+toll

Old 03-30-2020, 06:05 AM   #440 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
... If people knew it was so serious that they sold their stocks, then they had the information they needed to protect their citizens.
Those people were in Washingon and are so tied to the oval office that their idea of serving their country is rather limited. Burr protected his constituents, at least the high dollar donors, a couple weeks after he sold by mentioning it to them. The day the sales became public record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I challenge anyone to say with a straight face that they look to Donald Trump, the reality TV personality, for pandemic guidance. Chemists haven't invented what you'd need to be on to look to Trump as the guiding light for local medical guidance.
So get rid of him. Call him out for being a less than useless liar. He's not like today's weather that you can't do anything about, he's an elected official that is damaging things. Or am I being unreasonable and public health is the one area he's not outstanding at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Closed Thread  Post New Thread