Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Smile new to ecomodder first results

ok eco i am new to this site but have been lurking here for few months and i can say that i love this site. Ok so here it goes ive been into hondas for sometime now but only just started to look into aerodynamics and hypermilling first ill give specs and mods for my car then ill keep posted as to improvments that i make.
1995 honda civic coupe ex 5spd
1999 b20 engine from a crv transmision is from 99 civic si contradicting right?
i have a good short ram intake,exhaust and header no cat.
only aero mods are spoon style mirrors quiet a bit smaller vs stock and the car is lowered 3" and thats were the mods end but here comes the crazy good part i recently took a ride to the canada border to get a base line on mpg and i pulled 36.52 mpg dont sound that good right? but here comes the kicker my car is running an ls integra ecu thats for a 1.8l not my 2.0 mind you it also have heavy ass studed snow tires, no 02 sensor lol front and rear mud flaps. note that i did replace the 5th gear in the trany with a taller gear from an ls integra that dropped the rpms about 400rpm cruising.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Knight - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 58.53 mpg (US)
put the cat, 02 sensor, and stock intake back in.

Remove the mud flaps
Old 02-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mods

Ok I just got done putting a new O2 sensor no more check engine. Pulled the mud flaps. Also forgot to mention i have a rear window visor but it stays looks tough,I also have installed hood spacers for a meaner look aswell as letting the air that enters the engine bay escape Plus it decreases te angle the wind hits the windshield as an added bonus. And today I am working on a grill block and fog holes with .32" aluminum super light and strong also going to build a rear diffuser the major factor I am after is stock appearance with as much function as possible. I like the short ram because it still enhales heat from the engine but flows more this is a drag,landspeed car,street lol getting a hondata s300 soon to have it dyno tuned. Get rid of the fat stock tune. Also I've installed a carbon fiber sunroof delete that's about it for weight savings full interior car I've also swapped out the power steering to non power rack,deleted the a/c and cruise control I get better results with out cruise any how. And thanks for the input any reason why I should run a cat? Other then emmisions? Though a race cat would be the "human" thing to do if I run 1
Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
Please put the cat back on the car. Your car is poluting really bad without it and also it won't hurt your fuel mileage

Old 02-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

What intake do you have? If you've got one of them terrible foam filters, swap it out for a decent K&N... keeps your engine cleaner.

I'd say put the cat and O2 back in, but with your Frankensteinian set-up, I don't know how well that would work until you have the car dyno-tuned.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Smile Smog check

Like I said in my last post I've been thinking of installing a cat though under the right situation cars can still pass emissions without but I doubt my setup would I am going to go and have my emissions checked have to go a state over because my state does not have smog,I have a k&n filter in it know the car really doesn't stink when I check the exhaust so there is little hydro carbons being emitted though it surly does pollute I'll post the smog test results before and after full dyno tuning to record if good tuning helps the conservative stock fuel tables and I am sure it will help I plan atleast running a race cat because some racing tracks in other states do require them and I plan on traveling around the states and racing my car and bike this year before I finsh school and ship out.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If you're thinking of a cat, get one first and finalize your engine set-up before dyno-tuning, otherwise you might have to do it twice.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Work in progress

I knew mentioning that I was catless would be my doom on Ecomodder but I have no intensions of ruining this already messed up planet even a catless Honda polutes less than most v8's with, and most motorcycles don't have cats and we won't mention semis and there diesels lol not pickin a fight just so were clear I can't wait to smog test my car I want to know, funny was watching topgear they said a modern porsche exhausts cleaner air in L.A then is present that city is gone though I like la no beef just and interesting fact
Old 02-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Tuning

Yeah I am going to smog test it then decide if I want a cat if by some chance it passes I'll tune it with out a cat no need if it passes though I think it won't will see.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Smile More done today

Got the grill block done today out of .32" like I mentioned first I noticed a jump in engine temps but that's to be expected went from 1/4 gauge to 1/2 way on the temp gauge, I plan to combat that with a coolant flush and swapping to 50/50 from the 70/30 winter mix some royal purple ice,mishimoto thermostat, to avoid drilling holes for cooling till summer,then I'll drill 4 1" holes then tape overthem and pull the tape back as needed, as for drag reduction didn't notice much if any at 55mph but as soon as I hit 65 on the highway I instantly felt the reduction in drag when I was coasting found myself bracing more in the offramp to head back home witch was a nice feeling finished off the alum with some satin black epoxy self priming paint came out pretty good will post pics going to shave my rear bumper lip and do my double rear diffusers as well as my fog hole block offs then maybe this weekend take a trip back to the Canada border to test gains if any in mpg.

Reply  Post New Thread