Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2022, 10:28 PM   #131 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Since liquid fuel doesn't burn, heating the fuel can reduce Endothermic Losses and speed up the flame propagation rate. Even a few degrees of heat in the fuel can make a marked difference.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-14-2022, 04:11 AM   #132 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

My impression of the folks that frequent this site is that not many put faith in devices that supposedly improve combustion efficiency (that which this whole thread has focused on). I am confident the reason is because testing many different technologies has yielded dismal returns. I have seen that more times than I can count. The ad claims "Up to 30% improvement in fuel economy!", but you never see it. However, I have found that when a technology does what is claims scientifically, and the gains never materialize, it is due to the ECU intervening (does happen more times than not).

Starting way before the X-Prize adventure, I have been experimenting with ways to get the ECU to cooperate with combustion enhancers. I tried George Wiseman's E.F.I.E (Eagle Research), as well as numerous other "tuning" type devices. It seems the really good gains were only possible when I took serious matters into my own hands -- control AFR and spark timing myself. This isn't really practical for the masses, though. Lots of wiring, and then it takes a dyno guru to get the thing tuned.

Instead, we found a loophole in the standard ECU tuning strategies that we capitalized on with our Interjector -- IXR for short. It wires in parallel with the fuel injector and shows the ECU a different (non-stock) injector. In other words, the ECU sees a mechanical issue that allows it to extend limits to IPW (Injector Pulse Width), so long as the oxygen sensor parameters are satisfied. This condition -- non-stock part -- has of yet never triggered a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) on any of our test vehicles; and we've been refining it for over 10 years!

We have structured ourselves legally as a "Manufacturer" and not a retailer. I am not here to sell IXRs, as I cannot do so the way we are corporately structured. However, under the auspices of Research & Development, I am willing to work with qualified folks that want to give it a try. PM me. Ideally, we want to train mechanics to offer MPGenie services to their customers. In the process, they use our IXRs as part of the service. They purchase IXRs as a business, and we don't have to deal with Nexus (sales tax) laws.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IXR_6_Small.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	32609

Last edited by mpgmike; 07-14-2022 at 05:03 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mpgmike For This Useful Post:
RealityRacer (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 05:00 AM   #133 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Unfortunately, most ECUs do not monitor the injectors (none that I'm aware of, in fact) - they're simply two wire outputs, with constant 12v and the ECU provides a controlled ground. There is no mechanism to detect a clogged injector, other than a lean state as seen by the O2 sensor. I'm curious which ECUs you've seen this work with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
mpgmike (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 05:09 AM   #134 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Within the past week I spent hours poring over a 2013 Ford Motor Company patent that suggests otherwise. The patent was on a different technology, but referenced this topology to substantiate their claims (which suggests it was nothing new in 2009 when the 2013 patent was granted). There is a shunt resistor between the IGBT that drives the injector and ground. The ECU monitors the top side of that shunt resistor (an ADC input) to determine current flowing through the injector (Ohm's Law). It can also detect when the injector opens and closes. This supports, not only our results in testing, but our logical reasoning as to why the IXRs work.

Isn't there an OBD II DTC for shorted injector?? How would the ECU know????
RealityRacer (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 05:35 AM   #135 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Unfortunately, most ECUs do not monitor the injectors (none that I'm aware of, in fact) - they're simply two wire outputs, with constant 12v and the ECU provides a controlled ground. There is no mechanism to detect a clogged injector, other than a lean state as seen by the O2 sensor. I'm curious which ECUs you've seen this work with.
Sorry Ecky, I could not disagree more. I have seen this limitation by the ECU on every late model vehicle I have tuned. No MPG gains unless the signals that ECU monitors is tuned. It makes so much sense now that injectors need to be tuned as well. Thanks MPGmike!!
The Following User Says Thank You to RealityRacer For This Useful Post:
mpgmike (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 05:47 AM   #136 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgmike View Post
Within the past week I spent hours poring over a 2013 Ford Motor Company patent that suggests otherwise. The patent was on a different technology, but referenced this topology to substantiate their claims (which suggests it was nothing new in 2009 when the 2013 patent was granted). There is a shunt resistor between the IGBT that drives the injector and ground. The ECU monitors the top side of that shunt resistor (an ADC input) to determine current flowing through the injector (Ohm's Law). It can also detect when the injector opens and closes. This supports, not only our results in testing, but our logical reasoning as to why the IXRs work.

Isn't there an OBD II DTC for shorted injector?? How would the ECU know????
Certainly it can detect a shorted injector.

Could you give a specific example of an ECU where there are compensation tables for injector resistance?
Old 07-14-2022, 03:56 PM   #137 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
Quote:
My impression of the folks that frequent this site is that not many put faith in devices that supposedly improve combustion efficiency.
Well, such devices tend to be utter SCAMS.
Quote:
I am confident the reason is because testing many different technologies has yielded dismal returns.
Yeah, because the products tend to be utter SCAMS.
Quote:
...it is due to the ECU intervening
No, no, see above.

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
The Following User Says Thank You to jakobnev For This Useful Post:
fusion210 (07-29-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 10:19 PM   #138 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Out of curiosity, do any of you following this thread own an auto repair shop, or work at one?
Old 07-28-2022, 01:50 PM   #139 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
engine mods

As a native Californian, I experienced 'snap' roadside vehicle inspections by the California Highway Patrol. All traffic would be shunted through the inspection. They were in possession of full documentation for everything under the hood, and for any vehicle registered in the state.
If they found 'ANY' modifications, they issued a citation which could be cleared within 30-days, if a certified auto technician signed off on a certificate declaring that all OEM technology had been restored to the vehicle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since most cars are financed, are not 'paid' for, arbitrarily modifying the engine can not only 'void' the manufacturer's warranty, modifications can potentially do irreparable harm to the engine, leaving the 'mortgage holder' on the car with full responsibility to absorb all costs in restoring function. If they expect to operate the car on public roads.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any location in the United States which is out of compliance with Clean Air Act air quality standards, is responsible for annual emissions testing, which will mimic EPA certification dynamometer loading while under test. If the modification alters OEM engine 'mapping', the car is liable to fail the inspection.
Where I live, for 24-years, the car will be required to experience annual emissions testing. If it 'fails', the owner is required to pay up to $600 /year, attempting to bring the car into compliance. Every year for 24-years.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While a certain modification 'could' improve some narrowly-defined performance parameter, it might simultaneously move the engine out of optimum performance in other arenas of operation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Automakers 'designed' their engine and powertrain. They have the most intimate knowledge of their product. They've tested it under every conceivable situation it's likely to ever encounter. It may not be 'ideal', but 'ideal' doesn't exist and never will.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I spent 20-weeks in a university engine test cell. We had full instrumentation, real-time meteorological monitoring, and real-time data from the linked General Electric dynamometer. Everything was adjusted to SAE standards and protocols, and adjusted for ambient test conditions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Without such stringent controls on testing, I've no idea how an individual could ever have any confidence discerning actual changes to an automobiles performance, given one modification or another, on the possible scale of the mods under discussion.
Ecky (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 01:58 PM   #140 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
California?

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/cc/25/41/c...063590b202.jpg

Reply  Post New Thread