Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I'll never understand the appeal of a naked bike like the Z650 when there is a faired version available. Weather protection, calm performance through dirty air. Mirrors out front where you can see them. Better fuel efficiency. I asked the Yamaha rep why they refused to offer a faired version of the FZ07 and he said that the price for insurance goes through the roof if you put a fairing on a bike. Makes them look like super sport bikes to the insurance companies even though the Ninja650 (and CBR250R, 500R, R3, Ninja400) is really more like a standard bike with nice, functional bodywork.
For me and a SV, the "S" model with the 1/2 fairing had lower bars and higher pegs - so I chose the "N".

I rode it 2 hrs regularly at speeds around 75 mph and it wasn't that bad. I added slightly taller bars, a better seat, better mirrors, and a 1T larger countershaft sprocket. Up to that point I had sport bikes with fairings, but the difference wasn't really much. My helmet was still out in the wind. The SV was a bit more tiring on our long haul though. For the majority of my riding the SV is great. Best I've done is about 62 MPG. It will average exactly 50 like clockwork on my short commute.

I do like the sport bike-look of the Ninja 650 with the ergonomics of a standard. I'd probably go that route if I were in the market right now.

Last edited by jkv357; 08-28-2019 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: typo
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-27-2019, 08:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I'll never understand the appeal of a naked bike like the Z650 when there is a faired version available. Weather protection, calm performance through dirty air. Mirrors out front where you can see them. Better fuel efficiency. I asked the Yamaha rep why they refused to offer a faired version of the FZ07 and he said that the price for insurance goes through the roof if you put a fairing on a bike. Makes them look like super sport bikes to the insurance companies even though the Ninja650 (and CBR250R, 500R, R3, Ninja400) is really more like a standard bike with nice, functional bodywork.
I actually like the looks of a naked motorcycle, even though insurance going up just because of a fairing is somewhat pointless.

Reply  Post New Thread