Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2015, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Veloster - '12 Hyunda Veloster Base
Team Hyundai
90 day: 40.66 mpg (US)
New Member with a Veloster

Hello,

My name is Zach, I am 25 and commute 26 miles each way to work M-F. My drive consists of mostly back country roads with stoplights and stop signs throughout the drive. Speed limits range from 35MPH to 55MPH.

Right now my Veloster is stock 2012 Base model (non-turbo) with 80k miles. I don't have any particular mods that would effect MPG, I do run Mobil1 full synthetic though. I got new tires a year ago and since then my MPG have dropped, I was averaging around 40MPG for a couple months prior to. I would like my Veloster to look as OEM as possible while maintaining good MPG.

I recently put the stock Veloster over the teardrop diagram and found the aerodynamics are pretty spot-on.

Recently have been thinking about smooth wheel covers and potentially blocking the fog light covers since my Veloster doesn't have fog lights, the insert is pretty deep.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-31-2015, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Hi, welcome!

Don't focus on the fog light covers...
Many modern cars have ridges on the bumper corners to block, rather than guide, the airflow over the corner.
This creates a high pressure area ahead of the bumper, pushing the air around the car more gradually and directing more of the air stream over the car rather than over the sides.
The model without the fog lights might have a slightly lower Cd than the version with the fog lights because of this effect.

A grill block (combined with a gauge to measure intake temp) may be effective and can be done inconspicuously, if behind the grill. Also airing the tires to max sidewall pressure, etc.
See the 65+ Efficiency mods from the link in the menu bar on the top.

40 mpg is pretty decent for a Veloster, good work!

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I second RedDevil's tips!
Old 12-31-2015, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
The tires are a suspect. How well inflated do you keep them (measure with a hand-held gauge, not the gas station air pumps)? And what tires did you buy? Were the new tires LRR rated? LRR = "low rolling resistance." Check out the specs on tirerack.com

And I agree 40mpg in that car is pretty good. Is it an auto or manual transmission?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Hyundai
Thank you both for the welcomes! Thanks RedDevil for the tips on the fog lights, once I hit 5 posts I will attach a picture. I read the tips a while back, I have checked out this forum over the past couple years every now and again, I will have to re-read them.

I need to check my tire pressure more often but I don't have an air compressor, I have see those tire inflators but don't know if they are any good. Anyone have a recommendation there?

I have been thinking of the grill block and was thinking of starting with the upper grill area where the emblem is but there isn't a large space there as it is so I don't know how much benefit I would get. I also was thinking about the windshield wiper cover.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Hyundai
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
The tires are a suspect. How well inflated do you keep them (measure with a hand-held gauge, not the gas station air pumps)? And what tires did you buy? Were the new tires LRR rated? LRR = "low rolling resistance." Check out the specs on tirerack.com

And I agree 40mpg in that car is pretty good. Is it an auto or manual transmission?
I don't keep them up like I mentioned above, I need to invest in an air compressor so I don't have to go to the gas station often. I filled them above what discount tire put in there, I think around 40PSI but it has been a while since I have re-inflated them, how often do you all check your tire pressure? I use the hand-held guage.

I bought stock size (215/45/17) Nitto Motivos, they are not LRR from what I can tell, tirerack doesn't sell them but discount tire website doesn't have them as LRR. There is a long story behind my tire shopping experience. I have had them since 12/05/14 and so far enjoy them besides the MPG losses.

Sorry I forgot to mention, it is Automatic.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Hyundai
Here are a couple of pictures

Paint skills with wheel covers

Wheel Covers + fog covers (but sounds like I shouldn't do that)

And if it is allowed, here is my "build thread" on the Veloster.org forum - Zachs Build Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 02:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Hyundai
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
A grill block (combined with a gauge to measure intake temp) may be effective and can be done inconspicuously, if behind the grill.
I am not sure if I want to go full blown grill block and have to worry about intake temps, kinda over my head for now. Was thinking of doing the upper grill block, assuming I wouldn't have to worry about temperature issues because not much gets in there as it is.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Forty mpg tank average is pretty good in that car. Sounds like you are 33% above EPA combined rating. Also, neat little car. 1.6L naturally aspirated... that's my civic. But you are rated for significantly better EPA highway (35) than my Civic is (33). I didn't know it came without turbo. The six speed gear ratios are not half bad either.

You can get more from it. Proven stuff that can be very stealthy, easy, and cheap are grill blocks (already mentioned) and airdams. (Skip wheel covers if stealth is your goal.)

Do you have an Ultragauge or a ScanGauge?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Hyundai
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Forty mpg tank average is pretty good in that car. Sounds like you are 33% above EPA combined rating. Also, neat little car. 1.6L naturally aspirated... that's my civic. But you are rated for significantly better EPA highway (35) than my Civic is (33). I didn't know it came without turbo. The six speed gear ratios are not half bad either.

You can get more from it. Proven stuff that can be very stealthy, easy, and cheap are grill blocks (already mentioned) and airdams. (Skip wheel covers if stealth is your goal.)

Do you have an Ultragauge or a ScanGauge?
Thanks! Yeah the six speed DCT isn't half bad, the turbo models range from 2013-current which run at about 200hp stock, mine is 138hp stock. I was thinking that if i did wheel covers in black it might be somewhat stealthy? I am not sure though I would have to experiment with it, the wife is the one who will probably object the most to it

I do not have an Ultragauge or ScanGuage and am not looking to invest that much money for this right now, would a bluetooth OBDII connector with an app be as reliable for my purposes?

Reply  Post New Thread