Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
If you lease, doesn't the lease company get the tax credit and (hopefully) apply that to the cost of the car? I played around with the idea of getting a Bolt when they first came out and leasing seemed to be the better deal because I wouldn't qualify for the whole tax credit but would effectively get it by leasing.
If you lease the lease company gets the tax credit. Whether they pass that on to the customer is up for negotiation. When I leased my 2016 Spark EV the tax credit was not passed on. (At least they didn’t say it was but there were massive GM discounts applied so it could have been rolled in somehow)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-19-2019, 05:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I think they pass it on for the most part, IMO if you look at Nissan Leaf values, Nissan assued the "profit".
Old 08-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
If you lease, doesn't the lease company get the tax credit and (hopefully) apply that to the cost of the car? I played around with the idea of getting a Bolt when they first came out and leasing seemed to be the better deal because I wouldn't qualify for the whole tax credit but would effectively get it by leasing.
Chrysler was/is slow to pass on the whole credit, and the independent leasing companies don't have any of the other incentives available to Chrysler. I think in this case it's because they have an otherwise identical product for sale that doesn't get the $7500 credit and it would make it tough to lease say a Pacifica touring to someone when the Pacifica Hybrid is $100 less a month. Then they didn't have the hybrid inventory to support what may be a high demand. Instead they probably had trouble selling both models and needed up dumping 85,000 of the hybrids off to Google.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Chrysler was/is slow to pass on the whole credit, and the independent leasing companies don't have any of the other incentives available to Chrysler. I think in this case it's because they have an otherwise identical product for sale that doesn't get the $7500 credit and it would make it tough to lease say a Pacifica touring to someone when the Pacifica Hybrid is $100 less a month. Then they didn't have the hybrid inventory to support what may be a high demand. Instead they probably had trouble selling both models and needed up dumping 85,000 of the hybrids off to Google.
Automakers build to demand so they doesn’t have 85,000 vehicles sitting around that they need to dump at a discount. That Google deal represents 3 years of future Pacific Hybrid production and will be built to Google’s spec.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
slowmover (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 08:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
If there were a shortage of oil. . .

If auto pollution mattered . . .

If there was such a thing as global warming . . .

Then the simplicity of timing traffic lights nationwide would have finished first phase under Carter (begun under Nixon).

Then the simplicity of NEW roads not becoming parking lots would have been addressed thru design & zoning. Every single Interstate would bypass every single metro area without slowdown. Etc.

What matters is profit.

That all of your families were run out of the cities they’d built via ethnic cleansing ought to have been the first clue. Not so long ago a car WAS NOT a requirement.

So long as it remains one, the attempts to extort yet more of what little you earn (against the 50% pay cut for everyone since mid 1970s) has plenty of traction.

Electric cars or hybrids are only good on paper.

Nice discussion above. Would like to see Hersbird get what he finds best. So the advice on playing with paper promises to get a paper-only better car is pretty funny. Though I’m not laughing at you.

Of course the game is rigged.

To not go off-topic but only raise the question:

Where is the thread where contributors mark not something silly like MPG in an empty car,

. . but mark the percentage annual decrease in total miles driven? It’s only vehicle use in part.

As a forum, seems to me that’s the basis of integrity about being fuel conscious. And all that reduced use entails. (Electric-only cars are pretty much worse; no get out of jail free card are they).

Reply  Post New Thread