Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Above-Average-Miler

EcoCorsica - '96 Chevrolet Corsica Base
90 day: 32.01 mpg (US)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
^^^ I want 5 or 6 gauges displayed, not two.
I agree, I can't seem to be able to fit all of the information that I want displayed in those four slots. There always seems to be one gauge missing.

I like this piggyback setup used for the CleanMPG Eco-Challenge. MPG and AVG are the two gauges that I always like to have visible, but sometimes they get bumped out of the way when I need to monitor other gauges. With the log graph, the SG-e seems to be the perfect little "add-on" for displaying MPG info.

I'm not sure how much the SG-e is going for, but if I were going to invest in more instrumentation, I would probably just get another SGII and piggyback it for a total of 8 gauges.

Last edited by abogart; 05-09-2011 at 08:43 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I'd to be able to change that graph for 2 gauges, so I'd see either 4 gauges or 2 gauges + graph.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 05-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Looks like they are selling for around $95, there target market I assume is people who just want to see what their real time mpg is, or add one or two other gauges, keeping things simple and clear seems like a nice idea alot of the time.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Ryland, I think you're right about the target market.

I kind of dig it for what it's worth, but when I heard it'd be priced less than $99 I was hoping for a real steal. I guess $95 is okay.

I punched some numbers for my personal mpg. If I go from 24 to 25mpg it would take about 14,400 miles (at an even $4/gal) to break even.

Question for someone with instrumentation: Are 2 gauges enough for moderate hypermiling? If I got one, I'd probably program MAP for DWL and instant MPG for ideal speeds and general cruising. Sound about right?
Old 05-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
The most useful gauge to me is trip average. My old SG-II (that's mine on the bottom in that picture) doesn't have AVG as one of the gauges. I usually run it on the Current Trip screen with only the trip average showing. It seems to work. Having the instant mpg on there was a definite bonus. The graph... it's pretty, but didn't add much.

The menu requires many more clicks to get anywhere. With only two items displaying, it has to be that way.

It refreshes faster. The newer -II's might as well, but I don't know. That should be more accurate with varied driving like P&G.

Biggest bonus is the lower price.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles

Last edited by PaleMelanesian; 05-09-2011 at 05:40 PM..
Old 05-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...I can do without the "graph" as numbers still have meaning to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
justjohn (05-09-2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
MIT (Modder In Training)

FuguMobile - '01 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 24.89 mpg (US)
Go with the SGII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
I punched some numbers for my personal mpg. If I go from 24 to 25mpg it would take about 14,400 miles (at an even $4/gal) to break even.

Question for someone with instrumentation: Are 2 gauges enough for moderate hypermiling? If I got one, I'd probably program MAP for DWL and instant MPG for ideal speeds and general cruising. Sound about right?
Kodak,

I just got my SGII a couple of months ago. I think you've gotta figure more than a 1mpg gain using an SG. It just makes you so much more aware of how you're driving with the real time feedback you get. The instant MPG and TPS are great. And being able to track your current trip, daily and tank MPG are useful for comparing the most efficient routes to take to/from work.

Since getting my SG, I've completely changed my daily drive to one that is slightly longer, but with some highway and less stop signs it is much more gas-friendly. Wouldn't have known without the SGII.

By the way, I went from very low 20's to 28-29MPG after installing and learning how to read the SG.

If you do decide to pull the trigger, I'd spend the extra $50 or so and get the original SGII...instead of this new one that is coming out soon. I don't think you really need that graph. And if you mount the SGII on your steering column you can toggle between screens pretty quickly and easily once you get the hang of it.

Bottom line: At least get one of them. It will easily pay for itself. But I think spending the extra $50-60 for the SGII is the better investment.

Good luck whatever way you decide to go!

John
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnS For This Useful Post:
Kodak (05-10-2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...X-gauge feature is the real benefit and reason to go with SGII
Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I think that 2 gauges are enough for many people. Most drivers won't even know what 70% of all those parameters mean, let alone how to use them to drive more efficiently. On the other hand a graph could be helpful, for example to see what was happening when I couldn't look at the screen for a few seconds.

One thing makes me wonder: If there are only two gauges, then why are there four buttons, like on the original SGII?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 05-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I was thinking that this would make a good gift for those friends and family members that would use a real time mpg gauge but wouldn't care about or use most of the other gauges unless the car was running poorly.

Reply  Post New Thread