Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #91 (permalink)
Trucking-Modder

Big Truck - '08 International Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
There's definitely something about HFCS that promotes obesity.
Just from memory, I think it was something from an Oprah show my wife DVRed a year or two ago. HFCS, in simple terms, overrides the body's ability to tell when it's full, thus leading to overeating. I'm sure there's a more scientific explanation though.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #92 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

UfoTofU - '91 Honda CRX DX
Last 3: 28.36 mpg (US)
My other information was wrong. However, I've been reading more current information, although it's from Wikipedia and random sources. There's a variety of reasons why high-fructose corn syrup could contribute to obesity. I think what you were talking about was leptin.

By the way I'm in Tennessee too
Old 04-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #93 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
I weighed myself recently and I am back down to the weight (and body build) that I had when I came out of college in 1981 at the time when they were just starting to contaminate the food supply with HFCS. I am now 2 years into my no HFCS diet. Before starting this diet, even though I worked out in the gym and did lots of aerobics (trailrunning), I still had this accumulation of fat around my hips that just wouldn't go away. In the last two years this accumulation has melted away completely dispite no change in the amount of food or sugar that I'm eating or my activity level. The only change being that I went from the usual mix of cane sugar, corn syrup, and HFCS in the American diet to cane sugar, with just a trace of corn syrup and HFCS. Unless I wanted to live like a hermit, its almost impossible to get totally away from exposure to HFCS, since any time that I eat out with friends at a restaurant or sit down to a meal when visiting relatives, there's a potential for HFCS to be at the table. All I can do is try to select food items that are less likely to contain it. But I can eliminate it at home and minimize the times that I eat out.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #94 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Too bad I like eating out
Old 05-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #95 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I thought it was a nice photo
Old 05-11-2009, 05:42 AM   #96 (permalink)
2004 Prius Owner

I watched ben's no hfcs video also and have cut out this hyper sugar disaster. I went looking for bbq sause and found Kraft was the only one the the store with only sugar in it. I have lost 25 lbs since the start of the year.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #97 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectruck View Post
I went looking for bbq sause and found Kraft was the only one the the store with only sugar in it.
BULLSEYE! brand by Kraft!

I was surprised that it was one of the biggest food manufacturers that was the only one that had NON-corn syrup BBQ sauce.

You might want to check out Organics as well. In general, organic food does not use any ingredients with nasty pesticides, nor genetically modified organisms. I have NEVER seen an organic item with corn syrup in it.

My local grocery store has a pretty good selection of organic items, but depending on where you are, you might have to visit a natural or health-food store.

Congrats on the weight loss.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 05-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #98 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Kayak hauler - '05 Mitsubishi Lancer ES
90 day: 33.88 mpg (US)
Some help for everyone. My fiance and I buy almost all of our food from Costco. Everything there has a "natural" or "organic" alternative for about the same price which is less than Marsh, Target Superstore, and Kroger. We used to spend $350 every two weeks and now only spend $220 (this included a case of bottled german beer) every two weeks. We also started getting her wine from a Trader Joe's Grocery near us. We switched to these to help reduce my bad cholesterol. Most Natural or Organic foods don't contain hydrogenated oils and are low in cholesterol.

Thanks, Ben! We are now going to look at reducing or eliminating our intake of HFCS. I read on wiki that HFCS can increase triglycerides. High triglycerides raise cholesterol.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:27 AM   #99 (permalink)
Wok Master

Die Grau Geist - '95 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 17.74 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Scheißeglück
being a juvenile diabetic, i can fully support this cause. corn syrup is the worst thing i could possibly eat, because it screws with my hemoglobin H1C levels like a mofo.