Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #81 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
One potential problem with produce imported from 3rd world countries is that they still use many of the pesticides and fungicides that have been banned in the USA and the EU for health and environmental reasons. I don't like the pesticides and fungicides that they can still legally use here, which is one of the reasons that I grow all of my own produce.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #82 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Well Ben thank you for bringing this to light. I know it seems obvious, but with the hectic nature of life we tend to "do" things because they are easy. Thanks to you I too have begun to monitor the ingredients of what we eat and are trying to steer clear of HFCS. Step 1: I eliminated all Soda and Ketchup from my diet. Next step is changing the breads that I eat ...

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 03-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #83 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Does HFCS show up under different names? glucose-fructose? I don't see "High fructose corn syrup" on anything I've looked at around the house.

I noticed a few people mentioned ketchup. Maybe it is a canadian thing, but EVERYWHERE I go, it is a bottle of Heinz on the table. I checked my bottle at home and there is nothing sketchy in it at all. So if you don't want to pay premium price for "organic ketchup", buy Heinz. It is the best one, afterall
Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #84 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
Maybe it is a canadian thing....
I believe the United States is the Corn Syrup Capitol of the World.

There are quite a few products of the same brand name which are different for the US, Canada, and other countries.

I believe the US version of the Mountain Dew soft drink would actually be illegal in Canada!

Well, it's another garbage day here. Again, I am shocked at how little trash we have. About half a kitchen trash bag. It's mostly facial tissues, a few odd plastic bags, and a take'n'bake paper pizza tray.

Even our recycling is minimal, just a few steel cans and glass jars.

Yesterday, I stopped by my Dad's shop to work on a project. They sometimes get a big box of the really good donuts on Thursdays. When I was there, there was still one half of one of the really good jelly donuts.

Dang it! Not on my diet! It looked really good though....

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 04-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #85 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Well Ben, looks liek I will have to start each one of these threads with a THANK YOU ...

Less than a month in to my stand against HFCS and I have done the following;

-Stopped Drinking Soda, Gatorade, strickly water atm
-Replaced home ketchup with Organic Ketchup, must say it tastes sweeter, is darker and I love it. Stopped using Ketchup when I leave the house
-Replaced my breads with organic no HFCS brands.

And thats pretty much it for now and guess what, I weighed myself today and I have lost a total of 15lbs !!!! Not my intention from the begining, but a hell of a side effect ... I thought something was fishy when the next hole in the belt slipped in a little to easy ...

Oh btw, it killed me to throw out my Oreo's and such, still looking for organic replacements for those .. lol

If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 04-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #86 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
I was thinking the exact same thing.
So to re-iterate what Trik said;
"Thank You"

I just bought a new belt, cause mine got too big and I dot tired of punching holes in it.
I also have quit the Gatorade, ketchup and regular soda (I take diet stuff in my lunch box)
I just broke under 260 and maybe this was the catalyst I needed to get down to 200. (I have been stuck at 270 for around six months)

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 04-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #87 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda

There's definitely something about HFCS that promotes obesity. After you have been away from it for a few months, you'll be able to detect HFCS in any food that you eat by the off-taste that it gives to any food containing it. You don't notice this off-taste when you're exposed to HFCS containing food all the time, but get completely away from it for a few months, and you'll notice that any food containing HFCS has this awful off-taste and can even make you a little nauseous if you eat very much of it. My wife used to go to Hardees all the time, but recently when she stopped there when she was running late and got one of their burgers, she had to throw it away because its HFCS off taste started making her nauseous .
Old 04-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #88 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Here's something I learned today and its F'd up in my opinion. In observance of the Jewish holiday leading into Easter Coca Cola has introduced a Kosher blend of itself. When you read the label to see what makes it so Kosher, they replaced HFCS with regular sugar. *******s, why can't they do this 24/7. I bought a 2-liter just to taste the difference, I will report on that once I actually have some.
I wouldn't mind drinking caffeine free coke if it contained regular sugar instead of this crap ...

Oh well just more reason to stay away from the stuff.

Does anyone know of an existing movement to ban HFCS or its direct link to obesity, heart disease etc ?

Old 04-11-2009, 05:26 AM   #89 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

UfoTofU - '91 Honda CRX DX
Last 3: 28.36 mpg (US)
I read years ago that Kosher coke tastes good because of the water, not the sugar. They manufacture this in New York and use water from the Hudson River, which is cleaner than most tap water. I've also heard New-York tap water is the best tasting from many articles about tap versus bottled, as well as among bottled waters and cities
Old 04-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #90 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda

New York City doesn't get its water from the Hudson river. They get it from protected watersheds in the Catskill Mountains and, more recently, from tributaries of the Delaware and Hudson rivers.

Presumably the coke bottling plant that makes kosher coke for passover makes "normal" coke for consumption through the rest of the year, using the same water supply that they do for the kosher version. . Interestlingly, "classic" coke not withstanding, kosher coke is the closest thing you can buy to coke's original recipe, since HFCS didn't exist when coke was first formulated.