Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

Tree Catcher - '94 Acura Integra LS
90 day: 32.12 mpg (US)

The Old Dog - '92 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 31.58 mpg (US)
Northern CA noob with Integra LS

Hey everyone!

I've been lurknig around this site for a week or so, getting ideas and learning some new things. I had no idea there was so much to be gained from simple mods and driving adjustments until I stumbled on this site thanks to Google.

I drive about 110 miles per day to and from work, 5 days a week. I start at 3200' of elevation and go down to about sea level-ish, then back up again. My car gets between 30-31 mpg as it is now, during the commute, bone stock. I don't want to get rid of the car for something else because I've known this car since it was new. My mom bought it brand spanking new in 1993 and gave it to me last year when she bought a new car.

Other than the damage from the tree that fell on it in late November, it's a really really clean car, garage kept all it's life and it's got a lot of life left in her. Since I work in a body shop and paint cars for a living, I can fix it myself...just as soon as the insurance pays up.

I haven't done anything yet, but I think I'll get started before my next fill-up, which should be Wednesday next week. I'll pump up the tires and take some dead weight out of it, like the rear seats, the spare tire (I have AAA, who needs a spare?), rear wiper and motor, rear spoiler...etc. The damage hasen't effected the FE at all, but I want it fixed for pure cosmetic reasons...I may paint my whole car while I'm at it, as it is a bit faded. Even though it lived in a garage, it is a single stage red that's about 18 years old.

Anyway, if anyone has some Integra specific advice, that would be very useful. I've already hovered around the forums so if I have any questions regarding weight and aero, or anything else, I'll post them in the proper forum.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Welcome. What speed are you driving? The best advice you'll ever get for hypermiling is slow down. My SE-R got 26 mpg on long drives at 72 mph, 33-34 mpg at 62 mph, and 38 mpg at 55 mph.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 01-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

I set the cruise at 64, and corrected that means I'm really going about 60, which is 5 over the limit. I've already come down 5 mph, and I'm still getting used to going that slow. I'll try knocking down another 5 maybe, but getting to work already takes an hour and 10 minutes as it is...on average.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Team Toyota
Yes, I fully understand the pressures of commuting, but you live in gorgeous country, and can't have much traffic congestion. Going slower only costs you 5 or 10 minutes each way, so give it a try for a tank. I used to take 6.5 hours to drive so SoCal to my mom's. Now I go so slow, it takes me 8 hours, but I don't have to stop midway to fill the gas tank, and I enjoy watching the scenery and gaming whatever car I'm driving to get the best mpg.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Old 01-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

Well, to be honest, I do take my sweet time from my home to the farm land, as the scenery is nice, but believe it or not, it's rather congested and you often can't go very fast anyway. Even though theres a lot of elevation change, speed limit changes, curves and traffic, I think I get my best mileage here because I do go pretty slow. It's the boring, flat farm land that comprises about 65 of the 110 miles that gets me.

I used to make my commute in about 55 minutes, driving like a complete arse. I'd go 120mph on some of the back farm roads where there's no cops, then kick the cruise on at 68mph (which is really more like 64, and the CHP don't stop me), then when I hit the twisties, I'd carve them up as fast as possible, bouncing the rev limiter and squealing the tires around all the corners, passing cars in no passing zones, etc. So...I've made a drastic improvement already in my driving style. :P

I go even slower in the summer on the days I take my Harley to work, and I get over 50 mpg on that.

Baby steps.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Team Toyota
Yes, you've turned the corner, and probably upped your fuel economy by 5-10 mph in the process. I'm a reformed leadfoot myself. I used to get 26 mpg in my Sentra SE-R Spec V. Then I took up hypermiling, and averaged 38 mpg for the last 20,000 miles in it before I gave it to my daughter.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Welcome!

I am not sure if we have your car in our wiki but the average results will be close. So head over to our mod list and pick your project

Car MPG Efficiency Modifications Main - EcoModder
Old 01-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Dunno what it is about trees here in NorCal... they seem to go after the Honda / Acura models... had a tree attack my Civic VX last year.

Welcome to the site!
Old 01-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
Dunno what it is about trees here in NorCal... they seem to go after the Honda / Acura models... had a tree attack my Civic VX last year.

Welcome to the site!
I swear its a tree conspiracy. I don't know what they have against my car but whatever it is, they don't like it. I had the car parked at the bottom of my steep driveway and a tree fell from the left side, over the top of my car, but got stuck in trees on the other side of the driveway, so it never hit the car.

You can see the pavement where the car WAS parked and the tree I was dealing with;

It was just leaning directly over it. So I move the car into the road to clear the already falling tree, and while I'm doing that, a different tree altogether snapped at the top (I'm guessing about a 25' section of a roughly 60-70' tree) and landed right on the hood, smashing both fenders and the hood beyond repair;

I watched it happen and the whole car bounced, I'm just glad it missed the roof and it's still driveable. As for the fate of the trees, due to the storm and the apparent weakness of so many tall skinny unmaintained trees, I'm going to be cutting down about 20 of them on my property to prevent this kind of thin from happening again. I guess the previous property owners didn't own a chainsaw. I'd rather have a handfull of healthy, strong thick trees than a crap load of skinny, undergrown wimpy trees all crowding each other out...and then taking the overcrowding problem out on my car.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

Well I've made my first small steps.

I upped the tire pressure to 44psi (max sidewall) and rode around like that all week and got my best gas mileage ever of 31.84 mpg, upping my average by about 1 mpg.

It's been pretty dang cold where I live and my car has been taking a VERY long time to get up to full temp as per the temp guage. Probably something to do with driving through icebox conditions. So I decided to make a grill block prototype. I got some double walled corrugated cardboard off of a box that a toyota hood came in and tinkered around with razor blades and scisors utill I came up with this two piece set up. Once I had the shape, I painted both sides of it with Werth High Build Underseal, which is what we sometimes use for underbody corrosion protection after a repair. Then I held it all up with bent welding rod.

I'm hoping the Underseal will seal off the cardboard (as well as make it not look like cardboard) and get me through a couple tanks of gas so I can measure the results. Already it works in that it gets the car up to temp more quickly, and it dosen't flirt with going higher than normal opperating temp. I could probably close the hole off even more.

Reply  Post New Thread