Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2015, 02:41 PM   #361 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Nnnnice ! Love the look.

I was wondering about that bra on the front. I wonder how much drag it is producing.

Any plans to add gap fillers around the front wheels ?
Thanks! Actually, I had thought more about a front fender cut/recession. Was pondering some ideas across in my head, then stumbled upon this.

What do you guys think?

"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Last edited by OG VX; 05-18-2015 at 03:49 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
Cd (05-15-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #362 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
The Honda Insight had them, just not that extreme!

With your awesome fab skills, you should definitely go for it!

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyDiesel For This Useful Post:
OG VX (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 05:37 PM   #363 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
^ I'm tempted!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 05-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #364 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG VX View Post
^ I'm tempted!

You would be the only dude I could think of that could pull it off!

I'd suggest you get another set of fenders and go for it. That way it can go on the back burner if necessary, and you're still out there cruisin in style until the next upgrade. (I'm going to do some practice work on my extra fenders and driver door one day)

I know it will take you a little while to get it to your perfect vision (because I've seen the thought & love you put into things) compared to "quick and dirty" work a hacker like myself would drive around in. ..

But when you do finish, dude, I'm already drooling. Have i convinced you? Please?

Haha! I speak truth! Beautiful work is an understatement.
That's some Sexy vx action you got going on there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler kid View Post
Liking factory honda d series engines is like a foot fetish.
I'm a freak. Jdm d15b. Nuff said.
Thanks,
Victor

Last edited by vrmouseyd15b; 05-14-2015 at 06:06 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to vrmouseyd15b For This Useful Post:
OG VX (05-15-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #365 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Have you considered a turbo? It would give you a little more pep and get you up to cruising speed faster, and I'm sure there are some great, low spooling turbo's kits out there for an EG civic. There is an insighter that turbo'd his insight (was the first to do it actually) and he gets better MPG than I do. I have driven it and I absolutely love it, it lean burns easily and I get up to cruising speed much faster

Old 05-14-2015, 11:31 PM   #366 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Pious - '10 Toyota Prius Model II
90 day: 48.61 mpg (US)
OG VX, Question for you on the Acura RSX that you built. Could I put an E-VTEC engine and transmission in an RSX? If so, what would be my hang ups?
Old 05-14-2015, 11:36 PM   #367 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwilly75 View Post
OG VX, Question for you on the Acura RSX that you built. Could I put an E-VTEC engine and transmission in an RSX? If so, what would be my hang ups?
I'm pretty sure the rsx had a "b series" motor. That means conversion mounts (motor/tranny) at least? Different cv axles/wheel hubs. Wiring/ecu. Different exhaust. Etc etc etc. .

I've been wanting to do it to an Integra. Those can be had with d series stuff.

Thanks,
Victor

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vrmouseyd15b For This Useful Post:
lilwilly75 (05-15-2015), OG VX (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 12:11 AM   #368 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Have you considered a turbo? It would give you a little more pep and get you up to cruising speed faster, and I'm sure there are some great, low spooling turbo's kits out there for an EG civic. There is an insighter that turbo'd his insight (was the first to do it actually) and he gets better MPG than I do. I have driven it and I absolutely love it, it lean burns easily and I get up to cruising speed much faster
With a turbo, you can run leaner AFRs due to the extra mixing done by the compressor. 2-3 psi is what you would want at cruise for maximum efficiency, IMHO.

And could we get a link to the turbo Insight?

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyDiesel For This Useful Post:
OG VX (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 08:56 AM   #369 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Guys, thank you for your responses and feedback. Man, some great insights (ba-doomp, kish!).

Alright, you've convinced me. I'll give the fender mods a shot! However, since the car is going to paint shortly, I'll have to this mod now, before paint. So, I'll get right on it this weekend and post progress pics soon. No need for extra fenders Victor. If I goof, I'll go get some from more, ha!

After thinking on this, and building it a few times in my head in a few different ways, I've decided the path outlined below. Definitely up for changes though, if anyone has another idea/way. The reason for going the below described path is what I think will be the easiest way to get the curve right coming out of the fender. In the Gray Civic above, they did custom foam shaping and then fiberglass to get the flow out of the fender. I'm going a bit more simplistic path, I believe. Maybe I'm wrong though...

------------------

- Cut straight line from fender opening back about 7.5" towars back of car (parellel to ground), and then cut straight down (right angle cut) leaving enough meat on fender to still leave bottom fender bolt to body in tact.

- Make support brace out of thin metal from bottom of straight parrellel cut to chassis of car (fender wheel). Bolt on with 2 SS alan head bolts to fender (for beauty) and install rivet nuts to bolt braces to inner fender .

- Attach black plastic shield just under that bracket, flush with fender cut straight through to inner-fender wall, creating a "ceiling" for the fender recession. Plastic celing piece gets riveted to fender brace listed above, as brace goes towards inner fender well.

- Take a black rubber sheet (planning on using a thick/strong yoga mat) and cut it to "stretch" from the inner part of the fenderwell across the fender and through about 1 foot of the door. (yep, that far, all the way into the door area).

- Attach the yoga mat with 3 alan head bolts to the door, using rivnuts drilled to door (hey, I've already got abouty 30 installed, what's 6 more?!).

- Attach Yoga mat to inner fender well, cutting and shaping/stretching it, and attaching it in a way that follows a nice curve-exit of air coming out of fender well behind tire.

- When door opens, yoga material will collapse out (like an accordian). When door closes, it pulls tight to the body, hugging the "curve" as well and allowing for smooth airflow.

-----------
We'll, thats the plan, atleast. Aesthetically, I think it will pull off well. Straight cuts on the fender well will make the cutting/modding easier, and prevent warping to the fender. The black material stretching back into the door frame is wild, i know, but I believe (hope) the finished result will be similar to the looks of an Audi R8. (though nowhere near as luxurious, ha!)

THOUGHTS?!

I've got to hurry, as I have to submit my entry-application with 5 pictures by 5/31 to get reviewed for entry into the VIP show area for Honda Day in June. Car has to be painted, and back together by then. I really want the VX in the VIP (show) area, and not the parking lot, to help spread news about hypermiling and ecomodding to the Honda tuning community.

Last edited by OG VX; 05-15-2015 at 09:02 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (05-16-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #370 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Here's a quick rough draft illustration of what I'm thinking. The gray dots represent bolt mounting points for the yoga fabric.

Reply  Post New Thread