Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
ADHD Savant

Great White - '01 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 36.89 mpg (US)
ok, enough EV and Biodiesel, how about h20?

I am a decently longtime lurker but I wanted to wait to post something worthwhile, i hope.

I found a fuel technology that involves water electrolysis which creates something called "Brown's Gas", a hh2 mixture (2 hydrogen atoms) that are injected through the intake pcv to the engine. I read claims that you can get anywhere from 45-86% increased efficiency with any carburated or gasoline engine. I downloaded an e-book and i can email it to anyone who wants it. I just want to know, before i build my own system, is this a bunch of hogwash or is it feasible?

I know this is not also related but my front bumper has been crushed and is held together by zip ties, It's a plastic bumper so my second and unrelated question is; Am I able to bond fiberglass resin to it? I want to make an aero bumper with an air scoop for my intake where the right foglight mount. I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX for visual purposes.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-02-2008, 11:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
yes, you can fiberglass plastic. It's easier to cold weld it though. Well, not easier, but it works better. Well, not better, but it's still good.

Cold-welding ABS plastic:
  1. Cut 1x1mm bits of ABS, without paint on them
  2. Leave them dissolve in acetone (not nail polish remover, actual acetone)
  3. After they've set for awhile, they become 'gooshy' and you can bond them together by kneading them
  4. Roughen whatever area you want to apply the new plastic to, and stitch it together tightly with nylon thread (yes, you have to poke holes.
  5. Make sure you roughen an area at least 2-3 inches away from the crack in all directions, removing paint and some material
  6. Apply the new plastic and smooth it out, like bond-o, but apply more than you need, so the area is rough and higher than the surface you want it to match.
  7. Leave it dry over night, and rough file it in the morning
  8. Sand it smooth, prep, then paint.
  9. This method also works to put new pieces on old bumpers. (change the shape/look)

Old 12-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Hydrogen burns great. The trouble is making it in the first place, and how much energy that takes.

If you are making it on the fly by using electricity generated from your alternator, it is going to take a LOT of energy to make, thus greatly loading down your engine.

In some ways, it's like trying to make a perpetual motion machine.

One way it could work, is to have a supply of charged batteries, which would run the current to make the gas. Charge the batteries at home, and recharge them again right when you get back.

A more efficient way to use that electricity would be just to have it run a motor instead.

A seperately charged hydrogen gas generation system would have the advantage of still being able to cut over to just running on gasoline only. I assume there would have to be some timing changes to make everything run right, so that might be an issue.

A while back, I talked to a really smart guy who has built a slick electric truck, is running a wind generator, and has other smart-guy projects going on. I asked him about hydrogen generation for automotive fuel use. He said he experimented with it and had no luck. I assume he was doing the typical way of running the battery off the alternator to run the H2 generator.

If you try running a system off seperately charged batteries, I would be interested in the results. That's the only way I can really see a workable system.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 12-03-2008, 12:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Looks like lurking doesn't quite cut it. Try the search function.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
ADHD Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
Hydrogen burns great. The trouble is making it in the first place, and how much energy that takes.

If you are making it on the fly by using electricity generated from your alternator, it is going to take a LOT of energy to make, thus greatly loading down your engine.

In some ways, it's like trying to make a perpetual motion machine.

One way it could work, is to have a supply of charged batteries, which would run the current to make the gas. Charge the batteries at home, and recharge them again right when you get back.

A more efficient way to use that electricity would be just to have it run a motor instead.

A seperately charged hydrogen gas generation system would have the advantage of still being able to cut over to just running on gasoline only. I assume there would have to be some timing changes to make everything run right, so that might be an issue.

A while back, I talked to a really smart guy who has built a slick electric truck, is running a wind generator, and has other smart-guy projects going on. I asked him about hydrogen generation for automotive fuel use. He said he experimented with it and had no luck. I assume he was doing the typical way of running the battery off the alternator to run the H2 generator.

If you try running a system off seperately charged batteries, I would be interested in the results. That's the only way I can really see a workable system.
I browsed the ebook and found the following schematic. It looks like it uses a control module of some sort to control the voltage going through the water from one contact plate to the other (both of which are made of stainless steel). According to some sources you only need 1.23 volts but i haven't found any mention of how much current is required so yes, the search continues.

Sadly, this is the clearest this image is, I even tried it magnified, still blurry but you can maybe make it out
Old 12-03-2008, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
ADHD Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Looks like lurking doesn't quite cut it. Try the search function.
cynical remark ignored.

If this topic is a recurring theme, why not sticky one of them so it doesn't come up again?

Last edited by Palionu; 12-03-2008 at 12:18 AM..
Old 12-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

If you choose to ignore good, simple, fast, accurate advice such as typing in "hho" in the search box and seconds later coming up with 104 ecomodder links to that topic hho - Google Search be my guest.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
If you want a schematic, I can email you one that cost some unfortunate people a large cumulative amount of money...

(that isn't me, cuz I haven't paid for schematics since I got plans to build a potato alarm clock when I was 7)

Garrett Water Carburetor - 01/12/98
Discovery of OxyHyd by William A. Rhodes - KeelyNet 12/17/01
Cottell Ultrasonic Carburetor
New Fuel - Toluene & Water
Hydrogen production at 1.24 volts
Randell Mills Water as Fuel
Water as Fuel Quote from Chain Reaction
Finsrud #1
Fuel from Water - KeelyNet 01/09/02

Those are all offsite... if you want some on-site, use the search function.. and don't be a smartass.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
ADHD Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
If you choose to ignore good, simple, fast, accurate advice such as typing in "hho" in the search box and seconds later coming up with 104 ecomodder links to that topic hho - Google Search be my guest.
And again, proof that cynical remarks do not promote community, in fact what you are doing is acting like many a angsty 12-15 year old child, congrats.

Back on topic, I'm reading the very first post on this.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo