Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2023, 11:14 PM   #31 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Last time I drove a Beetle was in 2006. That was also the last time I drove anything with the pedals mounted directly on the floor, instead of the suspended pedals which are more usual among modern cars. But its footwell didn't seem so awful.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-05-2023, 12:19 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I always found that on the long drives I used to take, not being able to stretch my left leg was really uncomfortable. I'd wind up with my left foot under my right knee.

Old 03-07-2023, 02:57 AM   #33 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I'd wind up with my left foot under my right knee.
Still doesn't sound as bad as the previous-generation Suzuki Jimny.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:37 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Or my brother's one owner 1984 Samurai.

Old 03-09-2023, 05:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
If you are a 6'1" tall 250 lb american like me, getting into any Toyota is an effort in small space squeezable contortionist humans. A upward tilt steering wheel would help emormously, as would bucket seats or an extra 4 " of space.

This pretty much stops me from buying one
Maybe your Toyotas. The Tundra/Sequoia are full size and huge. I'm 6'4 and do fine. I agree though on the small toyotas. Rav4, prius, Tacoma, 4runner are all the exact same size. You can thank the world market for making them so small.

I really don't see how any of the pickups mentioned could beat a Tacoma or a tundra. Outside of the 3 point blow they all will do double and triple the mileage of the other trucks. There's a lot of things that go into ownership cost on top of gas mileage. I personally just got a 2001 Toyota Sequoia 4wd with 297k for $1900. I did oem toyota upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends, centric brake rotors and akebono pads, new take off 245/75/17 michelin highway tires off a jeep and replaced some cracked hoses and did fluids etc... All in at less than $3000 it runs fantastic and still gets 17.5mpg. I even put in my speakers and have the cd player bluetooth adapter so the stereo is nice and convenient as well. Automatic dim mirror, power exterior mirrors, auto headlights, heated seats, auto climate control, sunroof etc... Its really modern and still looks relatively good in modern times. I've owned 4 UZ's now and they all have ran like new regardless of mileage which is wild. I will say every thing works except the light for D after 297k and 22 years. But I've seen plenty do many many more miles (see the million mile all original ones from a couple years ago).
I would say grab a high mileage sequoia (once they get close to the 300k mile range they nose dive in value) and take a gamble as values are really low compared to trucks and so are property taxes, but you need a truck so check out the tundra. A v6 tundra with the 3.4L v6 and 5 speed manual would be one you could hyper mile. Its essentially an americanized T100 though.

The big thing is stay away from the rusty ones unless you know what you can and can't deal with.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:43 AM   #36 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Maybe your Toyotas. The Tundra/Sequoia are full size and huge. I'm 6'4 and do fine.
I am truly happy for you then. Must be nice to buy off the rack clothing that fits well. However: Enjoy your Toyota's. I will stick with vehicles I actually comfortably fit in without grease, pry bars or levers. Nothng like driving a 700 mile trip with a piece of plastic digging in somewhere much like freebeard and his left foot Volkswagen trips
Old 03-10-2023, 03:34 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
I am truly happy for you then. Must be nice to buy off the rack clothing that fits well. However: Enjoy your Toyota's. I will stick with vehicles I actually comfortably fit in without grease, pry bars or levers. Nothng like driving a 700 mile trip with a piece of plastic digging in somewhere much like freebeard and his left foot Volkswagen trips
Ah i see. My bad i was little bit rude on my first sentence.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:18 AM   #38 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Or my brother's one owner 1984 Samurai.
Might also be quite troublesome to me. The current generation OTOH was improved considerably on that matter.
Old 03-15-2023, 04:26 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

He wants to take it to the Portland Roadster Show this weekend. So I'll only have to drive halfway.

I may sit in the back.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:18 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Might also be quite troublesome to me. The current generation OTOH was improved considerably on that matter.
You better be a tough guy to ride around in a samurai. Those things are the roughest riding vehicles ive ever rode in. The only redeeming quality is they can get more than 400-600 hours on the engine unlike side by sides and are already road legal lol

Tags
4x4, crew cab, pickup, trucks