Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #61 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
I have been using it for a couple years now. IMO, any fuel economy gains are just an extra, as I use it as a fuel system and valve lubricant and cleanser.

I keep 3-4 2oz bottles in my car. When I fill up I round to the nearest 5gal increment and put in either 1/2 a bottle or a full one as appropriate. It took me a minute or two to fill the bottles from the gallon jug of oil and only a few seconds to dispense at the pump.
where did you get your bottles?

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
where did you get your bottles?
Walmart.

They were in the arts and crafts area. They are intended for holding paint and are clear with a white lid that snaps open/closed. There were six in a bag and it was around $2, IIRC

I keep three filled up and stored in a ziplock bag in my car. Even though the oil has a rather potent odor, I don't smell it at all.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darcane For This Useful Post:
mcrews (12-19-2012), WesternStarSCR (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #63 (permalink)
Busting Knuckles Often

Blue Maxx - '04 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT
Team Chevy
90 day: 26.96 mpg (US)

Tink's Van - '08 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
90 day: 19.09 mpg (US)

2004 5 Speed Goldrolla - '04 Toyota Corolla CE
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.3 mpg (US)
I am going to use my empty Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant 32 oz bottle. It has a nice long thin neck that allows it to be put in tank with a few squeezes. There are graduated markers to know how much you added.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
The best bottles for fuel additives....

Cylindrical Sample Bottles with Flip Top Caps | U.S. Plastic Corp.

These bottles can handle acetone and other solvents. The 16 oz size is probably best. You just flip the top and squeeze in the amount needed.

I use an old laundry bottle with the top cut off as a tray to sit these in while inside the car...due to the fact that if you use acetone for example...they will leak slightly if on their side.

I use a strip of light colored vinyl tape vertically on the side and mark 1 oz increments on it....1 thru 16 or so.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
The Following User Says Thank You to suspectnumber961 For This Useful Post:
WesternStarSCR (12-21-2012)
Old 12-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #65 (permalink)
radioranger

Been running the walmart brand stuff for two tanks now and have to say it is smoother and MPG did seem to come up about .5 mpg , about 2 ounces of oil per 10 gallons, theiir are synthetic , more expensive types such as golden spectro which reduce friction pretty dramaticly on my former bikes, may try some of that after a baseline , but its about 10$ a pint
Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #66 (permalink)
radioranger

I think my testing is pretty valid because my runs are 100% traffic free, and about 80% steady highway at 55 and the rest 45 mph and around 130 miles round trip, for years i was getting 25 mpg no matter what, to the point I could pull up to the pump and look at my miles and predict with in a tenth of a gallon how much it would hold, plus i park in the same little dip in the concrete when i fill, course not as good as the scangauge guys. now thanks to hypermiling and some tricks I learned here running around 27.5 mpg and shooting for 30 next mod partial bed cover, rear half or 2/3
Old 12-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #67 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Wondering if you have any exhaust smoke at 2 oz per 10 G? I know that using 3 oz MMO will cause some exhaust smoke.

Since you are already this deep in...how about 2 oz acetone...1 oz xylol...next? Top oil is just a beginners additive.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioranger View Post
I think my testing is pretty valid because my runs are 100% traffic free, and about 80% steady highway at 55 and the rest 45 mph and around 130 miles round trip, for years i was getting 25 mpg no matter what, to the point I could pull up to the pump and look at my miles and predict with in a tenth of a gallon how much it would hold, plus i park in the same little dip in the concrete when i fill, course not as good as the scangauge guys. now thanks to hypermiling and some tricks I learned here running around 27.5 mpg and shooting for 30 next mod partial bed cover, rear half or 2/3

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #68 (permalink)
radioranger

Well I use the 2 stroke stuff in the boat to protect the electric fuel pumps and I also had a few stuck valves from the previous owners neglect in one engine, seems to really help in this area and no smoke or oil on the water from the exhaust so it must be burning,plus it's relatively cheap, I noticed that my fuel hose for the outboard boat had a primer bulb that literally crumbled apart from the ethanol because I had no 2 stroke oil in the tank ,where as the other tanks stored in the boat shop had perfect hoses, and two stroke oil in them, I work on a fuel dock for boats 9 months a year and the gas hose leak fumes, and is legal, literally coating the deck with a black mold that grows on the ethanol fumes, that leak through ,pure sugar I guess, almost nothing flexible it seems can contain alcohol, there is actually a coast guard spec on the rubber that is used for hoses Etc,and lists how much can leak, where the diesel hose sits there is not any staining on the wooden dock below it, pretty obvious the fumes leak through and wreck the rubber of the gas hose, , i figure it's worth it just for protection and maybe some valve guide lubrication
The Following User Says Thank You to radioranger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #69 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioranger View Post
Been running the walmart brand stuff for two tanks now and have to say it is smoother and MPG did seem to come up about .5 mpg , about 2 ounces of oil per 10 gallons, theiir are synthetic , more expensive types such as golden spectro which reduce friction pretty dramaticly on my former bikes, may try some of that after a baseline , but its about 10$ a pint
Just make sure you do not use the castor-based oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beau For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #70 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
Wondering if you have any exhaust smoke at 2 oz per 10 G? I know that using 3 oz MMO will cause some exhaust smoke.

Since you are already this deep in...how about 2 oz acetone...1 oz xylol...next? Top oil is just a beginners additive.....
I have experienced zero exhaust smoke.

This may sound odd, but my exhaust tips on my 2006 G35 are no tainted with carbon whatsoever. They are as clean as a whistle.

The Following User Says Thank You to Beau For This Useful Post:
Reply  Post New Thread