Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
How fast were you going? (It's relevant here.)
I go 35-40 mph according to my speedometer (it reads a little high though), and I downshift to slow to about 25-30 around two corners (mostly due to lack of vision). After exiting the first of those two corners, I noticed this individual to be about 10 car lengths back after having been on my bumper. The second corner is where he was on three tires and drifting out of his lane (at most, two car lengths back).

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Happens to me when I exit the Interstate. I go to neutral and coast down from 60 to about 45 to get off on the exit ramp. Invariably I have someone close to my rear end as I enter the cloverleaf. I never touch the brakes and very few of them are close behind me when I merge onto the road at the top of the overpass, at the speed limit.

It's really funny if they are driving a truck or SUV. My old Maxima will easily go around the cloverleaf at 50. My 59 Corvette would do it at 70. Top heavy vehicles have no chance.

regards
Mech
Old 02-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
Since I started driving in December(just got my temps), whenever someone tailgates me excessively through there, I'll keep my speed under 5 mph. They can't pass because there is a center divider and it brings me so much satisfaction that I made their useless life so much worse.
Who appointed you to be the speed police?

You are deliberately driving extra slowly for the specific purpose of punishing other drivers.

Quote:
I've seen the middle finger a lot, but I refuse to give it back because I will not play into the ignorance of the average american.
It's no wonder you are getting the finger a lot. You deserve it.

Quote:
One time, two people people were tailgating my sister and I while she was driving the speed limit to our apartment. After we parked, the fat couple pulled up behind us in their big SUV and stared at me as I got out of the passenger seat. I had just gotten out of baseball practice and had 2 bats with me. When the kept staring, I got one out and started walking toward the car(I'd say I'm pretty intimidating at 5' 11" and 185 pounds). As I got closer to the car, they drove away, so I never got to confront those obese idiots about what they were thinking. Someday, I'm going to get out of my car at a red light and ask the person behind me what their problem is. Then I'll tell you guys what is on "other drivers' minds"
You are looking for trouble and someday you will find it. In my state (which is actually a very Liberal one) approaching someone in a threatening way with a potential weapon (read: baseball bat) is justifiable grounds for initiating self defense under the law.

Your described situations show a passive-aggressive attitude. Unless you change your ways, you can expect more troublesome incidents in the future..
The Following User Says Thank You to Thymeclock For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy View Post
I go 35-40 mph according to my speedometer (it reads a little high though),
If you were actually going 30-35 and the other car was two car lengths back (which is what you initially said), that's hardly extreme tailgaiting.

Quote:
and I downshift to slow to about 25-30 around two corners (mostly due to lack of vision). After exiting the first of those two corners, I noticed this individual to be about 10 car lengths back after having been on my bumper. The second corner is where he was on three tires and drifting out of his lane (at most, two car lengths back).
Without him being able to see your brake lights (because you downshifted instead of braking) you are not completely blameless here. Apparently he had to brake hard to slow the same speed as you did (but that's entirely his problem, to be in control of his vehicle).

At least he gave you more than ample room after that. I'm not defending tailgaiting, but at least he corrected himself after realizing that you might not have had working brake lights.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Emperor

Quote:
If you were actually going 30-35 and the other car was two car lengths back (which is what you initially said), that's hardly extreme tailgaiting.
Sorry, you are wrong. Two car lengths is not a safe stopping distance, even at 30 mph.

Stopping Distances for Cars

Also, you must have misread. He gave me LESS distance on the second slow down.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy View Post
Sorry, you are wrong. Two car lengths is not a safe stopping distance, even at 30 mph.
I said:
Quote:
As I recall the recommended safe distance is supposedly one car length for every 10 MPH of speed. Two car lengths for 30 mph is not extreme tailgaiting, It may not be optimal, but it's not extreme, either.

Quote:
Also, you must have misread. He gave me LESS distance on the second slow down.
Less meaning two car lengths as opposed to originally ten. Again, it is his problem, not yours. (BTW, I've never seen a car "on three tires" - unless you are speaking metaphorically.) If your car was showing no brake lights you are contributing to a potentially unsafe situation.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Emperor

Quote:
Less meaning two car lengths as opposed to originally ten. Again, it is his problem, not yours. (BTW, I've never seen a car "on three tires" - unless you are speaking metaphorically.) If your car was showing no brake lights you are contributing to a potentially unsafe situation.
I think you're confusing entering the corner versus leaving the corner. He was on my bumper (at most, a car length back) going into each corner. My guess is, because the first corner was slightly more extreme, he had a harder time maintaining speed. He seemed to try to force the issue on the second corner.

And the fact that you've never seen a car on three tires just means that you have never seen a car pushed to the limits of its suspension (usually not a good idea on public roads).
Old 02-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #38 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Just about every action shot of a VW GTi ever taken shows them on three tires.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
My NX 2000 with the Gleason Torsen limited slip differential spent most of it's time on an autocross with the inside rear tire up in the air. I have seen a couple of unintentional 3 wheeled cars driving down the road. Dodged the oncoming wheel of a Subaru once.

regards
Mech
Old 02-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Dodged the oncoming wheel of a Subaru once.

regards
Mech
Wait, did it come lose completely? Subaru's have a bad tendency to shear off lugs when driving under harsh conditions.