Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #201 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have been way too lazy during my break, but now I am finally getting around to designing an AC controller for my ACGTX20. I am going to start ground up with IGBT modules and designing the power section. I have a few single IGBT modules, CM600HA modules but I haven't decided it I want to use that type (I would need 6 total) or get dual modules to keep the controller small. I guess it really depends on if I ever get paid.

I have been reading a good chunk on VFDs, and my Circuit's class this semester is dealing with AC circuits, so this should be good.

I am still working on getting a Solectria controller to analyze, and I need to figure out how the Encoder on my motor works before I can do any of the dsPic designing.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #202 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamson View Post
But not one 60 hertz motor has any expectation of staying together at any higher speed. Or, for how long? I would think anyone going into AC drive should find a motor rated at at least 5000 rpm, to avoid the constant shifting, or, EXPECT to shift. Kindest regards to all, williamson
I found the following article about using induction motors as generators:
Induction generators: What can go wrong? | Electrical Apparatus | Find Articles at BNET
Quote:
Don't induction generators need an overspeed capability, for mechanical integrity, beyond what's available in a standard motor? At least one engineer has made that claim. The answer, however, is no. Although the latest NEMA standards are somewhat ambiguous, MG 1 Part 30 allows "maximum safe operating speeds" (for typical standard motors 250 hp and below) ranging from 125% to 200% of synchronous RPM. For brief periods (two minutes) with the machine de-energized, as for a running generator that's electrically disconnected, even higher speeds are allowed by the standards. Special capability for generator operation neither exists nor appears necessary.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 02-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #203 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ElectricZX2 - '98 Ford ZX2 Cool Coupe
90 day: 140.91 mpg (US)
So this is my first post on ecomodder....I have a '98 ZX2 with a 9" GE forklift motor and controller. Paul and friends, I'm very impressed with your work on the DC motor controller and have gotten through most of the thread. I'm planning to build your 1000amp DC controller when it comes out , as I'm currently limited to 108volts by my controller (Have 3 more bats itching to get in the car). Anyways, I thought you guys might be interested in this motor...pretty heavy, but hey, they do make a warp 11 .

Emerson 20 Hp. Electric Motor 3PH 3500 RPM NEW Surplus - eBay (item 370299978293 end time Mar-01-10 10:08:48 PST)
The Following User Says Thank You to ElectricZX2 For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (02-08-2010)
Old 02-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #204 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
How do you mount that type of motor to the bell housing of a transmission? It looks like a perfect motor, I'm just worried about mounting it. Do they even make AC motors that are meant to be bolted by the face to something? My DC forklift motor had 6 holes in the face where I could use six grade 8 bolts to clamp it down with like 60 foot*pounds per bolt.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:08 AM   #205 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
How do you mount that type of motor to the bell housing of a transmission? It looks like a perfect motor, I'm just worried about mounting it. Do they even make AC motors that are meant to be bolted by the face to something? My DC forklift motor had 6 holes in the face where I could use six grade 8 bolts to clamp it down with like 60 foot*pounds per bolt.
If you look at the pictures of the motor, you will see 4 bolt holes that are tapped. You would use these to bolt to the adapter plate, but you also would need to fabricate mounts to support the motor by the large foot on the bottom. This motor is too heavy to be supported by the transmission. They tell you so add supports to the warp 11 as well, as it weighs about 230lbs which is too much to hang off the transmission.

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com
Old 02-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #206 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ElectricZX2 - '98 Ford ZX2 Cool Coupe
90 day: 140.91 mpg (US)
My 9" GE is actually hung from the original motor mount attached using plate steel to the rear motor face. There is actually no transmission "adapter" but the shaft coupler from the original forklift drive system was bolted/welded to the clutch-transmission coupler (now clutchless ). A couple of the motor output face bolts were connected to a couple of the transmission holes with steel strips, but they aren't the primary strength points (the motor kind of just hovers in the transmission mouth). Like Adam said, it seems like you could make some pretty simple connections using the original engine mounts. In my case I would just hang it upside down from the foot, but I don't know how it would work in a VW....
Nice vette project Adam!
-Luke
The Following User Says Thank You to ElectricZX2 For This Useful Post:
adamj12b (02-10-2010)
Old 02-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #207 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Just thinking out loud here but what about adapting a prius transmission as an ac ev motor? isnt it a sealed unit with two ac motors and a diff? .......or mabey i'm just loosing it......
I have a friend that has been working on modifying the Prius inverter. These transmissions would make a clean conversion for most front wheel drive applications. I think having a generic controller that would work with them would be ideal.
There is a simple modification that will join the two motors together and allow about 75hp with a peak hp of about 90.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:05 AM   #208 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

thinking out loud: i wonder if it would be possible to make a controller board that could use either a DC or AC power stage, kind of like a universal motor logic board. Being in software myself i'd love to see a reusable module that just plugs into a high power section.

but would allow for higher runs on the controller section, as the design would be the same.

probably not possible, i'll put it down to to one of Haydon's(me) hair brain schemes.

edit: after looking a bit more at how Paul's going to do this i think its not possible. i'll shut up now and return to lurking :P

Last edited by bigh; 02-26-2010 at 02:55 AM..
Old 03-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #209 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What ever happened to this project ? dead ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Let's face it, AC is better than DC! An AC motor will last forever, since there are no brushes to wear out. You get regenerative braking for free, which both recharges the batteries, and saves the brake pads! And the new lithium batteries can absorb huge currents. The main problem is cost. What a shocker!

With Field Oriented Control, you get to control the torque of an AC motor with a PI loop, like with a DC controller. This makes it very well suited to EVs. It's sort of confusing, but I've been reading about and I'm learning.

A high powered 3 phase AC inverter with field oriented control can cost $8000-$10,000. There already exists an open source inverter that has a parts cost of $2500. I would like to drive the price down further, and also it just sounds fun! hahaha. I've got very good help too. It will happen.

One thing I hope to do is take advantage of the surplus IGBT market once a process comes together, so people can make their own very cheaply. I would like to see the parts cost be under $500 for an inverter that will get a car on the freeway. Also it will have regen.

Also, the parts count isn't THAT much higher. There are no free-wheel diodes like in a series wound DC controller, but you need a 3 phase bridge, which is 6 IGBTs (or 6 banks of mosfets or whatever).

I'll first do a small one, that can drive a 1/2 HP 3 phase AC motor rated for maybe 220v/440v. Then I'll scale it up. I will probably do a more expensive scaled up version, then try to make it cheaper. My electronics background is not good, so I have to keep it simple.

Here's what I need:
Most of it is from Digikey/Mouser I think.

I should come up with a parts list of what I need to get moving! If anyone wants to donate to get those parts, I won't stop them. As usual, I get payed on the 10th, and am broke on the 11th. hahaha.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #210 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
What parts are you short? I'd like to help make this happen, but I have no skills.

Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Reply  Post New Thread