Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #221 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by struja View Post
Can someone help me ;

I need this chip : HEF4752
Can you get in your area , how much does it cost ?

Thanks !
No one is willing to help
I just want to knew is it obtainable in your area and maybe do some buisness .

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #222 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I'm sorry struja. I checked several companies in the U.S. and I wasn't able to find. it.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #223 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by struja View Post
No one is willing to help
I just want to knew is it obtainable in your area and maybe do some buisness .
A quick search shows that it's a discontinued component, so suppliers will not carry it, but I did find one on eBay. HEF4752VP/HEF 4752VP/HEF4752, 3-PHASE MOTOR CONTROL IC - eBay (item 350320536632 end time Mar-24-10 19:08:31 PDT)

dsPICs and other digital signal processors are a lot cheaper than that IC, and can do much more.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #224 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I gather it's crucial too look at 3p AC controller project from the end-user application (kW/Nm needed at the wheels/tranny) in the first place, that's how the pros do it too, and not from the primary perspective what general 3p inverter solutions and hacks can be possibly done..

And that means in our diy case start with the available industrial motors, they come in many efficiency/rpm/pole/weight configurations. Most likely you have to forgot heavy cast iron type of motors, yes they are cheaper and could be sourced from junkyards free. But hey, the AC approach IS about maximum efficiency, so left this idea of uber cheap motor for the DC controller domain, don't ever forget that.

Great, so we are left with aluminium case option, several US/EU/Asian companies can supply that. What's next? You have to decide on overall drivetrain selection (gearbox or directdrive), 2pole motors will be more suitable for the gearbox and 4pole motors for the direct drive version, but you can use 4pole and gearbox for higher highway speeds capability if that's what you are after.

What is the target peak power & torque (kW/Nm), usually 3p inverters can handle 150-200% overload for dozens of secs repeatedly, that should be enough for average acceleration demands with water cooling (or good air-heatsink). So, for small-medium econobox vehicle application, lets take 50kW as the peak power demand, calculating backwards that's ~33kW nominal spec (for 150%) of your inverter. Btw. the inverter should be at least 400VAC nominal with ~800VDC max input (don't worry the voltage can be split into packs). There is little/no benefit running <200VAC drivetrain systems (for cars), which then need high amperage wiring and large capacity batteries, that's easier/more optimal to return into DC traction system. Even the Prius hybrid's controller (for "assist" emotor) is internally wired for ~500VDC. As compromise, lower voltage solution, you are probably all familiar with the Etischer's project of hacking/upgrading small industrial VFD for higher output (IGBT, caps, software upgrage), I gather this would be the easiest/preferred diy approach anyway (with Pb batteries):
http://etischer.com/awdev/

Now, calculate it backwards for the 3p industrial motors driven (overclocked) on higher frequency/rpm, so you end up with suitable range of 7.5-[11]-15kW (nominal) 4pole industrial motors, the special order models with prepared wiring and termistors for this setup (best brands like ABB) can weight even bellow 65kg.

To refine it and for selection of appropriate motor reffer to those several AC industrial conversions done successfully in australia, they have got quite extensive simulation tables and practical recommendations on their forum.

Last edited by Mesuge; 03-18-2010 at 09:11 AM..
Old 04-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #225 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi. Posting something here to subscribe to the thread.

Is there a feature/requirement list that we're targeting with this project? Or are we experimenting with the power stage only at this point?

Regards,
JR
Old 04-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #226 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoque View Post
Hi. Posting something here to subscribe to the thread.

Is there a feature/requirement list that we're targeting with this project? Or are we experimenting with the power stage only at this point?

Regards,
JR
I am not sure if we have a requirement list yet. Paul is using a Microchip kit that has the power section prebuilt, along with a compatible motor, so I am guessing he will play with the software and think of oodles of features. I am starting ground up, first with the power section then I will get to the logic. I have been swamped with school work, so not much was done except specs out some components. If I don't get swamped with too much homework, or drowned in flooded basements, I may have some basic schematics in a few weeks on the power section and IGBT driver setup.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #227 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Amen David! I'm super busy too! JR, I have a driver/power section that is good for like 0.5 HP (a single module like David was saying). The software is the main bugaboo I think for me.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #228 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSGC View Post
I may have some basic schematics in a few weeks on the power section and IGBT driver setup.
I will like that David!
Old 04-04-2010, 05:59 AM   #229 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Tazzy - '02 Toyota Tazz Sport
90 day: 43 mpg (US)
Hi there. I have been a lurker on this and several other forums for some time.
Dave - regarding your post
Quote:
I may have some basic schematics in a few weeks on the power section and IGBT driver setup.
I think having a modular system, with seperate logic, driver and power section would give everyone the chance to modify it to suit their own requirements. If your needs are different from the design, it would mean less modifications to get something going. It would also mean that people who are far from USA or Europe can adapt the design to what is locally available.

At work we use AC drive from Unico Inc. They use the same logic section on drives from 1.1kw to 500kw. The power sections of course are totally different. They have a small selection of driver sections depending on the drive configuration. Their power supply section on all these drives are exactly the same module, but it would be easier if we can have some flexibility as far as that is concerned.

Regards
Dawid
Old 04-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #230 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawidvC View Post
Hi there. I have been a lurker on this and several other forums for some time.
Dave - regarding your post

I think having a modular system, with seperate logic, driver and power section would give everyone the chance to modify it to suit their own requirements. If your needs are different from the design, it would mean less modifications to get something going. It would also mean that people who are far from USA or Europe can adapt the design to what is locally available.

At work we use AC drive from Unico Inc. They use the same logic section on drives from 1.1kw to 500kw. The power sections of course are totally different. They have a small selection of driver sections depending on the drive configuration. Their power supply section on all these drives are exactly the same module, but it would be easier if we can have some flexibility as far as that is concerned.

Regards
Dawid
I am definitely making it a modular design. It's the most practical, and I am already designing the IGBT drivers and Hall Effect sensor to mount on each IGBT. My current design uses three identical boards, one for each Dual IGBT, and a single logic board. I am going to just build the basic systems for 3 Phase motor control, then design an expansion connection to add anything else. I am trying to limit the board sizes to the MiniBoard from PCB Express for simplicity, but we will see once I get down to actually using PCB Express to design the layout.

My notes are spread out everywhere, but if I survive my exams this week, I will try to get the IGBT drivers schematic done and try protoboarding one just to see if it works. I figure I need about $175 to get enough components to have a protoboarded version to show. It's looking like $88 for the IGBT modules I wish to use, and about $90 for DC/DC converters and a few more hall effect sensors.

If anyone is willing to donate to the cause... money or parts..

Reply  Post New Thread