Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 04:25 AM   #421 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via AIM to davidclement@ymail.com
Paul I have read all the posts on your sites and I'm impresed/enthusiastic/exicited. I've made several false starts at an ecar and can see that what you are about is the missing key for a successful self build. I've cleared an area in my home workshop and will restart playing with electric motors to try an establish the most suitable .
This a better than a great site. It is an achievement you will live to be proud of.

Regards
David

The Following User Says Thank You to davidclement@ymail.com For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (10-10-2010)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #422 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Paul , any news on the pcbs.........i'm dying here must.......have........p.....c........b........... ......
Old 10-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #423 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I sent them to Adam, and Gold Phoenix can't handle the gerbers. hahahaha. The excelleron file needs to be scaled or something weird like that. The 2 places I've sent it to in the past are OK with the gerbers that the free software generates. I don't have the money for a new pcb yet, because it's going to include a tooling fee. I had the 1 made before since it was a flat $25 with free shipping. I'll probably be able to order it on the 25th.

The oscilloscope was shipped yesterday priority, so for myself, I'm just waiting for it to arrive before testing the new resistors and diode/resistor in series and to check the cooling.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #424 (permalink)
ReVolt Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
The excelleron file needs to be scaled or something weird like that. The 2 places I've sent it to in the past are OK with the gerbers that the free software generates.
Hey Paul,

If you need help on the drill file and gerbers send your DesignSpark PCB files to me and I'll extract them in the proper format for you.

I can update the Wiki with those new revised gerber files too.

Let me know.

-Mark
Old 10-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #425 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawickm View Post
Hey Paul,

If you need help on the drill file and gerbers send your DesignSpark PCB files to me and I'll extract them in the proper format for you.

I can update the Wiki with those new revised gerber files too.

Let me know.

-Mark
Hey Mark,

Ive been the one working on trying to get the gerbers to work properly, but i really hate Designspark. lol. It is terrible compared to Eagle.

The site I used for PCB's is BatchPCB.com. They cost $2.50 per square inch plus $10 service fee and then shipping. Usually $5.

Here is the link to the requirements for the Drill file. BatchPCB FAQ does my drill file look wrong when I upload

The problem is you cant scale the drill file differently from the board files.

Also, You will need to rename all the files by hand to the correct gerber file extensions. If you check the Wikipedia entry for RS-274X format (format needed for BatchPCB) you can see that each layer is its own file with its own extension. Gerber File - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Designspark names all the files with 1 extension that you set, default being *.gbr.

I will email you the designspark files so you can have a try.

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com
Old 10-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #426 (permalink)
ReVolt Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj12b View Post
The problem is you cant scale the drill file differently from the board files.
Hey Adam,

I looked at the BatchPCB Faqs page, they are requesting a 2:4 trailing format output for the drill file. It sounds like Paul did a 2:2 format output.

The drill file needs to be re-generated in DesignSpark PCB database with the proper trailing format output (2:4). It is not something that you can hand edit.

The gerber naming can be hand edited like you said.

I got you email, will look it over

-Mark
Old 10-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #427 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
WOW, that is just creepy......

Those are the same IGBT's that I sold to paul and he is using. Microchip makes the dsPic chip. They are also using the same dsPIC30F series chip.

Only real difference is the gate drives. Those boards they are using are made by Powerex specific to drive the IGBT's. They are really nice with full protection and single supply input, but that all comes at a price. In quantities of 2 at digikey they are $98 each. Digi-Key - BG2B-5015-ND (Manufacturer - BG2B-5015) They would ensure perfect driving of the modules though and larger ones too.

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com
Old 10-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #428 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawickm View Post
FYI

I ran across this Infineon Reference Design for a HEV Inverter (HybridPACK™2) 650V, 800A, 3 phase, 80 KW.

HybridPACK?2 - Infineon Technologies

They sell a complete development kit for only $6000.00

-Mark
Yep, that's an extensive package including powerstage module, driver boards, caps bank, water plate, GUI interface etc. However, I've seen a bit different pricing, specifically, 3k EUR for the kit, which seems roughly 4.2k USD these days.
Not bad for almost complete 80kW AC inverter.
In fact, there is nothing like that in this price range, if it works as advertised..
Should work with any cheapo ~100V overclocked ACIM, 2nd hand or brand new 90% eff. high end stuff..

I'd like to now more details, especially about the motor routines inside the driving boards, how capable is it, plug&play lol? I gather it's both ACIM and PMSM autoconfig ready, right? Apart from solid, elements protected casing, it needs brake chopper for regen (not included in package) is the sw ready, etc.?

HybridKIT for HybridPACK2™ - Hitex Online-Shop

ps I hope that Paul has read that 96 odd paged .pdf manual/schematics/parts list, should be of great help for his open source AC project.

Last edited by Mesuge; 10-15-2010 at 12:21 PM..
Old 10-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #429 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj12b View Post
WOW, that is just creepy......

Those are the same IGBT's that I sold to paul and he is using. Microchip makes the dsPic chip. They are also using the same dsPIC30F series chip.

Only real difference is the gate drives. Those boards they are using are made by Powerex specific to drive the IGBT's. They are really nice with full protection and single supply input, but that all comes at a price. In quantities of 2 at digikey they are $98 each. Digi-Key - BG2B-5015-ND (Manufacturer - BG2B-5015) They would ensure perfect driving of the modules though and larger ones too.

-Adam
The control board they use is also a development kit from microchip, that I think is around $700. hahaha. Seriously, my board in quantities of 75 only costs around $5. And for the non-driver parts (which is all the development kit control board includes) it's only around $40-$50 I think. Now if only the driver board (0 to 15v) is sufficiently good, then that would be nice.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #430 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello
At first, let me tell you that you are doing very good work.
Then I have a suggestion.
I am service techniques for the UPS devices. And in UPS are all IGBT closed with -15V. However, I would suggest one driver with 15V pulses and colsing voltage -15V. Here is one already built
FUJI ELECTRIC - VLA517-01R - SINGLE IGBT GATE DRIVER 4A PEAK
I found one in the Farnell for 11.6€

Reply  Post New Thread