Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #1441 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
@paul, it is all the tools you need for edit/compile/run(flash) for a given microcontroller, technically. Though most just think of it as a cross platform compiler.

@cs, yup, I managed to compile his source with the gnu compiler and libraries and flash it on the ST, did some minor hacking, saw there wasn't much left in the way of i/o pins, grabbed the 100 pin version of the cpu. The piccolo is interesting, but the ST is more than adequate for now, and a very popular platform, so I'll probably stay with ST till I get some sense of mastery of it.
Awesome. Would you post a tutorial to do that? I have a few ST's lying around

The Following User Says Thank You to cts_casemod For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (12-13-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #1442 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I find that sort of stuff really confusing. It shows up in my programming style too. A total of 2 C files with no external function calls (except for atoi() I think).
cts_casemod (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #1443 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
I find that sort of stuff really confusing. It shows up in my programming style too. A total of 2 C files with no external function calls (except for atoi() I think).
Most definitively
Old 12-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #1444 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Well, I did what I could, Another homebrew AC-controller - Page 46 - DIY Electric Car Forums

I don't know mac or windows, but was able to fudge a few things to get it working on ubuntu. The thing to remember is that it is usually looking for something, and different things have different ways to be told where that something is. Plus version headaches (so I attached libcm3 to that post as you requested, I still don't know how to make it a system level library, nor do I want to, having most everything stm32 in one directory tree makes more sense to me). But I had to modify the make file with things like -I/var/arm-eabi/proj/libopencm3-examples/libopencm3/include/

My microcontroller background so far is arduino -> reversed engineered to commandline avrgcc (low level cross platform experience) -> avrstudio -> stm32 in codeblocks ide. I might have flashed a PIC once...

If you guys have specific linux questions there, I'll do what I can. Getting it running can be daunting, and heubner does't want to tie it down to any specific tools. In fact I pointed him towards https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded and now he recommends it. though he started with https://github.com/esden/summon-arm-toolchain

Last edited by P-hack; 12-13-2014 at 11:07 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to P-hack For This Useful Post:
cts_casemod (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #1445 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
Well, I did what I could, Another homebrew AC-controller - Page 46 - DIY Electric Car Forums

I don't know mac or windows, but was able to fudge a few things to get it working on ubuntu. The thing to remember is that it is usually looking for something, and different things have different ways to be told where that something is. Plus version headaches (so I attached libcm3 to that post as you requested, I still don't know how to make it a system level library, nor do I want to, having most everything stm32 in one directory tree makes more sense to me). But I had to modify the make file with things like -I/var/arm-eabi/proj/libopencm3-examples/libopencm3/include/

My microcontroller background so far is arduino -> reversed engineered to commandline avrgcc (low level cross platform experience) -> avrstudio -> stm32 in codeblocks ide. I might have flashed a PIC once...

If you guys have specific linux questions there, I'll do what I can. Getting it running can be daunting, and heubner does't want to tie it down to any specific tools. In fact I pointed him towards https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded and now he recommends it. though he started with https://github.com/esden/summon-arm-toolchain
The world is small
I sent you a few PM's last month about that.

I haven't managed to get it working, been busy with my own inverter anyway.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #1446 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'll see if I can put together a step by step specific for my installation. Too many variables otherwise.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #1447 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

Ok, please don't get me wrong - I'm honestly trying to learn something from this question.

What is the advantage of changing the IC from a Microchip product to ST or Arduino?

Microchip has a full line of products, ones that exceed the requirements of this project, and they come with a full toolsuite and lots of application information regarding to a bunch of different things.

I understand the desire to get away from a Microsoft based system. The computer I'm using right now runs Ubuntu and my others are old Macs.

Thanks a bunch,

E*clipse
Old 12-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #1448 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
Ok, please don't get me wrong - I'm honestly trying to learn something from this question.

What is the advantage of changing the IC from a Microchip product to ST or Arduino?

Microchip has a full line of products, ones that exceed the requirements of this project, and they come with a full toolsuite and lots of application information regarding to a bunch of different things.

I understand the desire to get away from a Microsoft based system. The computer I'm using right now runs Ubuntu and my others are old Macs.

Thanks a bunch,

E*clipse
I'm just curious on the capabilities of the Arm architecture, no ideas to change design.

Microchip is nice if one needs a small chip, up to 40 pins.
From the moment something larger is needed there is limited availability on easy to use boards that are affordable and widelly available.

On ARM one could use the St Nucleo boards, the teensy, The Arduino Due or many cheap boards on ebay all in the £10 range
Old 12-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #1449 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm not entirely familiar with all the microchip offerings, but as a programmer an ARM cortex core creates a lot of opportunities, and that project was already stm32. Aside from that good enough is good enough. I'd rather re-code than re-work for the most part.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:42 AM   #1450 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

Thank you for those points.

First, I would like to say I have no affiliation with Microchip. I'm just familiar with them, their toolsuit, etc; both the standard and the DS pics.

My background is different; I'm not much of a programmer, although I can program in C and if my arm is twisted completely around.... assembly. Because I'm not much of a programmer, I keep things very simple. For example, I don't trust interrupts at all. Contrary to what Phack might think, KISS is high on my priority list.

Personally, I think Paul is on the right track with this. I have a LOT more confidence in the circuit design, board design and his programming than something pieced together out of generic E-bay pieces. To me there's a lot of difference between the workbench prototype and an reliable part that I would put in control of 60kW or 100kW and then get on board.

Thanks again for clarifying about the other microcontroller options,

- E*clipse

Reply  Post New Thread