Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2017, 12:35 AM   #3121 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

At one point it was running really well. But since I tried to get the regen working with the newer FW, it hasn't behaved since.

Thanks,

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8649.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	21812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8425.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	21813  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #3122 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricemodder View Post
At one point it was running really well. But since I tried to get the regen working with the newer FW, it hasn't behaved since.

Thanks,
I'll check the arrangement of my board when I get home on Monday evening ... or would you rather that I just post what I have and you can try it?

I don't know how to update the wiki either, or how to do the forks for the different source and firmware for the various versions of the hardware. I am happy to post/update if someone is more familiar and wants to do a bit of a tutorial
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
ricemodder (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #3123 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
I'll check the arrangement of my board when I get home on Monday evening ... or would you rather that I just post what I have and you can try it?

I don't know how to update the wiki either, or how to do the forks for the different source and firmware for the various versions of the hardware. I am happy to post/update if someone is more familiar and wants to do a bit of a tutorial
Thanks thingstodo! I found the version that works with this motor. It's strange, the newer FW version seems to just make lots of noise and then trip the overcurrent.

I'm considering getting the newer board (SMT) so I can use that as the main traction motor controller, then couple the shafts with the old one and use it as a regen / dyno. If I measure the amount of power going into the battery pack, I should be able to 'guestimate' the power output of the unit. This all hinges on how much brake torque the regen can generate.

Worst case scenario I have a prius IPM motor that I can rectify and variably load dissipate since it doesn't really require a controller to regen.

I also wanted to play with the IPM motors as traction motors. I didn't see resolver the encoder boards for sale. Anybody know if these are still available?

Anyways lots of different ideas to tinker with.

Last edited by ricemodder; 05-21-2017 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: no closing quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #3124 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Thanks thingstodo! I found the version that works with this motor. It's strange, the newer FW version seems to just make lots of noise and then trip the overcurrent.
It's good you found the right version .. and kinda weird that the newer firmware does bad things.

Quote:
I'm considering getting the newer board (SMT) so I can use that as the main traction motor controller, then couple the shafts with the old one and use it as a regen / dyno. If I measure the amount of power going into the battery pack, I should be able to 'guestimate' the power output of the unit. This all hinges on how much brake torque the regen can generate.
The testing I did with a DC motor (and Paul's DC controller) coupled to an AC motor (and Paul's AC Controller) leads me to believe that you generate power with regen down to a certain speed. Like maybe 500 rpm. Lower than that it actually draws power from the pack to stop with regen.

Quote:
Worst case scenario I have a prius IPM motor that I can rectify and variably load dissipate since it doesn't really require a controller to regen.

I also wanted to play with the IPM motors as traction motors. I didn't see resolver the encoder boards for sale. Anybody know if these are still available?
The resolver to encoder boards were there last time I looked. Maybe Paul ran out and has not re-ordered the boards?

IPM motors as traction is interesting ... let us know how it goes!
Old 05-27-2017, 01:02 AM   #3125 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
The default settings for the new code is a nissan leaf permanent magnet motor. Are you using an induction motor?
Old 05-27-2017, 05:27 PM   #3126 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
The default settings for the new code is a nissan leaf permanent magnet motor. Are you using an induction motor?
Yes it is an induction motor with an older board. I have downloaded firmware that is dated Oct 26, 2016. It looks like the latest and runs the motor.

I am still trying to configure the regen for the motor. It works when the motor is running at a certain rpm but then starts to drive the motor. Can you point me in the right direction as to what values to change to make this work better.

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #3127 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Resolver to 10/12 bit digital

This is neat. I took apart a 2017 Kia inverter and took a peek at the layout.
*Edit 2015 Kia inverter

It has 2 resolver inputs to a 10/12 bit digital input to a MPC5500 NXP processor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	21943   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	123
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	21944   Click image for larger version

Name:	r2d.png
Views:	96
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	21945  

Last edited by ricemodder; 06-10-2017 at 01:17 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ricemodder For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (06-12-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #3128 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
This is neat. I took apart a 2017 Kia inverter and took a peek at the layout.

It has 2 resolver inputs to a 10/12 bit digital input to a MPC5500 NXP processor.
I can`t read the chips. What are they using for isolation?
Old 06-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #3129 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
I can`t read the chips. What are they using for isolation?

The high and low side drivers are ACPL-332J-000E then fed to push pull transistors for more power.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0061.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	21946  

Last edited by ricemodder; 06-10-2017 at 01:38 PM..
Old 06-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #3130 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
2011 Polaris Ranger EVs

I now have 3 of the 4 Ranger EV's at home and have spent some time looking through the various connectors and parts of the vehicles.

The motor is a Permanent Magnet AC motor (what is the different between PMAC and Brushless DC or BLDC?), but I have no ratings on voltage or max speed.

The Sevcon Gen 4 AC controllers are rated for 650A and have a 48V DC pack (somewhere around 43V is low voltage cutout and the original Lead-acid charger floats at 57.6V). The docs don't mention a boost circuit and I cannot locate an inductor so I expect that the motor is driven directly by PWM of the pack voltage. Speed is limited to 25 kph but I am confident that is a setting in the controller and not a limitation of the motor.

There is encoder feedback although I won't know what voltage until I get a service manual.

Paul - driving this motor (eventually) with my AC controller - would I need to load different firmware or is that a setting change? I have a lot of work to do getting everything else working first, before I venture into replacing the controller and running it at higher top end speed.

I think it would make an interesting video to start from 'here is a motor mounted in a vehicle drive train' and progressing through 'there is not much info on the motor but we entered what we had', 'here is how we did the initial tune' and finally 'this is how it runs after we played with the tuning some more'. It will likely be at least a year before I get to that point though.

What do you think?

The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (06-17-2017)
Reply  Post New Thread