Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #3271 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

E-car - '84 Toyota Corolla LE
Well, I have to say that putting something down and then coming back to see the problem anew can help.

After reviewing what I did earlier today I can see I've messed up. I'm not looking in the right place to see where my problem is. So, it’s back to the drawing board.

Sorry guys didn't mean to give you all a headache.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #3272 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
First, I just want to say it's hot in Phoenix! man! Next, measure from one of the gate resistors to PH1 (or PH2) for your 12v. Could you take a picture of the control board? Are you absolutely there are no solder bridges, and that the solder stuck to the ground plane on each ground plane solder joint. Those are especially hard to do. I'm so glad everyone is so darn helpful! You guys are awesome!

I stopped on teh side of the road today, and hit this one cactus, and some ofhte needle things shot out at me, and one stuck in my finger, and I got a bunch in my shoe, and it was almost impossible to pull out, since they had barbs on the ends.

Also, PCB international is going to be able to convert the control board. All they need is a screen capture of the various layers and stuff, and in about 2 hours they can put it together somehow. So, goodbye $260 (advanced circuits), hello $95! No slave labor involved either! This is Taiwan, not China. hahahaha.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:54 AM   #3273 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

E-car - '84 Toyota Corolla LE
Good evening Paul, it’s about 10:30 PM right now, about the middle of the day for me. When building the controller I checked each solder point as I made them, all the while trying to be very careful not to let them spill over.

I must have made an error somewhere or I’d be driving all over town right now.

Today’s troubleshooting was done a little slap dash as my dad would say maybe, a little hastily.

So, I'm going to borrow a scope from work and see what I can find tomorrow and over the weekend. I’ll check PH1 to a gate looking for the 12V. If I haven't discovered what I did wrong this weekend I'll bring the unit to work and we'll dissect it one tracing or component at a time.

Ill post some pics tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:36 AM   #3274 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
First, I just want to say it's hot in Phoenix! man!
When I was in Phoenix (and it has been a long time) I found it to have more smog than L.A. and that surprised an air breather from the land of woods and lakes!
Old 03-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #3275 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks everyone for an entertaining and informative read. It's been at bit of a marathon to read the whole thread. I have been greatly impressed by Paul's journey from experimenting amatuer to proffesional expert in a little over year and by the spirit of cooperation and helpfulness shown by the other contributors.

Thanks again,
Giles
Old 03-28-2010, 05:44 AM   #3276 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave koller View Post
When I was in Phoenix (and it has been a long time) I found it to have more smog than L.A. and that surprised an air breather from the land of woods and lakes!
I was going to go to Phoenix, but I found this note hanging on my door, .....
Old 03-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #3277 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
What did the note on your door say? "Don't go to phoenix, since it's super super duper hot"? That's what I'm going to put on my door next time... I think they call it phoenix, because the city rises from the flaming ashes every october, only to be incinerated again starting in about March, lasting until the end of September (or maybe october). That's just a theory.

Oh, the BMS boards and charger board, and charger parts should be waiting for me when I get home. Also, I will send in the SR board, and it will take 8 days for them to make it, then it will take 1 day for me to assemble it and drive it around and then blow it up, and then will take 1 day to get over the depression, and then 1 day to make another one. so, super soon I'll have the 1000amp one tested! ya!

The 6 bms boards are like 50 hours worth of soldering, so cancer, here I come! hahahaha. Actually, I'll just solder them a little, and test it, and then send the other ones in to have them solder them automatically.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #3278 (permalink)
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
What did the note on your door say? "Don't go to phoenix, since it's super super duper hot"? That's what I'm going to put on my door next time... I think they call it phoenix, because the city rises from the flaming ashes every october, only to be incinerated again starting in about March, lasting until the end of September (or maybe october). That's just a theory.
agreed, though these last few days were really nice! You'll have to visit again in august and truly experience what this controller has to put up with. it laughs at those 45C summer afternoons. or maybe it's laughing at me for choosing to live in this place...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ting-9325.html
Old 03-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #3279 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thought i'd share someone else's excellent work with you all.

full fairing'ed quad motor electric trike build

Lowracer's fabrication skills are amazing. He also have has built a cool little heatsink tunnel thats could be fan forced to cool the mosfets and capacitor bank:

Heatsync and motor cooling (third video)
Old 03-30-2010, 03:58 AM   #3280 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh View Post
Thought i'd share someone else's excellent work with you all.

full fairing'ed quad motor electric trike build

Lowracer's fabrication skills are amazing. He also have has built a cool little heatsink tunnel thats could be fan forced to cool the mosfets and capacitor bank:

Heatsync and motor cooling (third video)
awesome

Reply  Post New Thread