Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #3421 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Golfwagen - '89 Volkswagen Golf mk2
90 day: 107.14 mpg (US)
Oh yes, my control board works too (I suppose). Connected it to computer via serial cable and RTD explorer did show moving lines and data.

I can confirm that programming an empty ATmega168 works with selfmade STK200 paraller port programmer. You can find schematics at LancOS Home Page. I used PonyProg for reading/writing the firmware and avrdude for fuse settings. PonyProg worked fine with fuses too, I realized that later, heheh. I didn't know that fuse settings of ATmega168 were not included in .hex -file. I have no idea if they can even be included with files. I had to set them myself. Paul helped me with that. Thanks a lot.

I'll grab a screenshot of PonyProg with correct fuse settings later today. It should help everybody trying to use PonyProg in fuse programming. All these fuses were new to me and I didn't find any info about them from wiki. Time to update wiki with fuse settings also?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #3422 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hey Paul I just arduino'ed the control board muhahahahahahahaah! (evil laugh)
Old 05-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #3423 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Very cool Can you post some more details.

Greg
Old 05-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #3424 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Just had a little play today. Replaced the mega168 on the control board with an arduino enabled mega328. Got it running a simple program to o/p pwm dependent on throttle. I have plans for a new series of mods on the controller ............. stay tooned
Old 05-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #3425 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Sweet - now, did you use Arduino source code? (Opps - I see you answered that a bit ) Well so you just PWM mod a signal - not the interrupts etc that the
straight C language addresses - cause you got my "ears" up - we might have to swap Arduino "sketches" LOL
Old 05-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #3426 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Arduino

Spolier alert : I have only made it to page 97 on this thread. Dorry if my novice ideas have been asnwered later.

Since you are already using an Atmel controller was there a reason why you didn't just use an Arduino/Freeduino/Boarduino as the control section? It has the modularity you suggest for a price between $15 and $30. And it would provide an upgrade path as future enhancements are made.

I a programmer, not an IEEE, but I always thought a motor shield could be reengineered with beefier parts. They seem to have the majority of the engineering done but with wimpier electronics. They are usually aimed at the robotics user.

Just my 2 cents.

George
Conway, SC
Old 05-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #3427 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Etching

Another thought (now I am on page 108). A neighbor runs a trophy shop. They have an old fashioned 2-axis engraving machine. It is basically a computer operated version of your mill. I think it can duplicate any JPG image. I think I can get him to donate some time on the machine if I help with something else. If we get to the point of mass producing PCB's this could be an option.
The Following User Says Thank You to vectorges For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (05-29-2010)
Old 05-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #3428 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius IV
Last 3: 51.4 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorges View Post
Another thought (now I am on page 108). A neighbor runs a trophy shop. They have an old fashioned 2-axis engraving machine. It is basically a computer operated version of your mill. I think it can duplicate any JPG image. I think I can get him to donate some time on the machine if I help with something else. If we get to the point of mass producing PCB's this could be an option.
Way cheaper to have a professional board house make them. Also IIRC, Paul CNC'd his mill, I know Adam has.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #3429 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Ya, as soon as I get Eagle, I'm going to send the power board to PCBCart, which does 4 ounce 2 sided boards. In bulk it's like $8 or $10 per board. That would be so wonderful, I almost want to throw up thinking about it!
Old 05-31-2010, 01:55 PM   #3430 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks to all

Just got done reading the entire thread. Wow is all I can say or think. Amazing work Paul! Jack Bauer your variant power is so elegant! Now all I have to do is become financially fluid enough to get my project going. Again thanks to all that helped in this endeavor.

Reply  Post New Thread