Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #4731 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Well, I'm an expert at taking someone else's idea, messing it up the first 5 times, and then getting it to work. hahaha.

I just ordered the parts for a prototype of the isolated DC-DC. ya! I'm going to breadboard it this week if I have time. I also ordered some 12w 100 Ohm resistors that I can put in parallel and series so as to test the load on the output up to around 500mA, and see what's what.
Look dude, I never thought about doing an electric vehicle seriously until now, just because for too long I thought it was too expensive. Between you and the other members here that have done budget electrics that work well, it's obviously possible.

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
The Following User Says Thank You to cleanspeed1 For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (05-14-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #4732 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Built and fitted the little igbt interface board today. Comprised of 8 resistors. Four off 3R3 2W for the gates and four off 0R33 2W for the emitters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	8361   Click image for larger version

Name:	24.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	8362  
Old 05-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #4733 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Basically, you run the 555 timer at around 50 to 100kHz, and that 5v signal goes to the mosfet driver. The mosfet driver makes a square wave on the primary side of the line filter above. The output side then gets a similar square wave. YOu use the zener diode to clamp the output voltage, and the 4 schottkys to rectify it. Bam!
The URL for those parts didn't work. But I'm guessing that it's a capacitive line filter, not a transformer. If so, you are implementing a capacitor level shifter.

That's good for a local isolated supply. But it has high capacitive coupling between the house/accessory supply and the traction supply. Which is bad for safety, has essentially no common-mode noise immunity, and won't work just when you need it the most.

The DC-DC converter is an expensive part of the system, but it's pretty hard to substitute something less expensive and get the same level of protection and performance.

You can save some money by getting a semi-regulated module. And after all, a gate driver doesn't really need 12.00V. These modules have a narrower input voltage range, typically +-10% (e.g. 10.8-13.2V) to meet spec, and non-guaranteed +-20% to work (often 9V-15V). If input voltage is a concern you can waste a little power by getting a 5V to 12V module and putting it behind a regulator. Or a 5V to 15V converter, and putting a regulator on both sides.

An alternate approach is using traction voltage to create the gate driver supply. Read the datasheet for the LNK306 switching converter to see how to do this with just a few components. But it does give up one of the features of the Cougar -- the ability to work with any traction voltage. If you want to operate at 12V (which is useful for testing), you need to build a buck-boost design, and that involves more components.

For our controller we put all of the isolation on the gate driver board, with overlapping footprints for two types of DC-DC converters. That allows us to use $5 modules (only 1W output and 1KV isolation) for most testing, or use better modules (2W, wide input voltage range, 5KV isolation) if needed.

Our gate driver board is using a Si8233 chip, which provides isolation and dual gate drivers in one package. It does an awesome job. You don't have to deal with all of the optoisolator hassle -- drive current, production variations, dimming with age and temperature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	isodriver.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	8363  
The Following User Says Thank You to DJBecker For This Useful Post:
sawickm (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #4734 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I think I fixed the links. I think what happened was, I was logged in on Mouser and Digikey, and then started doing specific searches relative to my account. I tried doing just a generic part look up and copied the link so it should work this time.

Those line filters have a tiny capacitance. They have been used very successfully for years by Fran with various 3 phase inverters, all the way up to his current 400amp per phase inverter that they will be testing this Wednesday. All of them have a nominal voltage in the 300-320v range. It's used deep down in Platinum mines in South Africa inside of these tank-like things, and a bunch of other applications too, like mine destroying big tank things that spin giant metal chains that bash the ground and detonate mines. Almost like roto-tilling the whole countryside.

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 05-15-2011 at 11:08 AM..
Old 05-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #4735 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camaro , i'd be very interested in the pic system.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #4736 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Camaro , i'd be very interested in the pic system.
I'll post my code in the next few days, and I'm designing a PCB in Eagle for a small plug in board. I've never been a fan of AVR's. They're just more of a pain to program, but I understand why Paul choose it.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #4737 (permalink)
EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBecker View Post
The URL for those parts didn't work. But I'm guessing that it's a capacitive line filter, not a transformer. If so, you are implementing a capacitor level shifter.
No, its inductive ie two coils on a bobbin with a bit of ferrite. Normally one coil goes in each ac leg. It is actually a transformer with a 1:1 turns ratio with a very high voltage isolation capability.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #4738 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Finally got the car together enough for an initial road test at 24 volts. Darn fuel clip was dragging making a noise that caused concern for my wife (Wont need that any more, The fuel clip, not my wife.)

Will it make it out of the garage?

Will we get to their house?

Last edited by pnikolaj; 05-17-2011 at 07:02 PM..
Old 05-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #4739 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Best Videos Ever!!!! Your son is so adorable! And it sounds like your wife was a tiny bit surprised that it worked. haha.
pnikolaj (05-17-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #4740 (permalink)
AC-DC enthusiast

Dual-PWR PHEV - '04 Toyota Prius

Kopper - '79 Bradley Bradley GT-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnikolaj View Post
Finally got the car together enough for an initial road test at 24 volts. Darn fuel clip was dragging making a noise that caused concern for my wife (Wont need that any more, The fuel clip, not my wife.)

Will it make it out of the garage?
YouTube - 2001 Focus BEV First Time Out of the Garage

Will we get to their house?
YouTube - 2001 Focus BEV First Road Test
CONGRATULLATIONS!!
It's moving by it's own power

. . . . . . . .CALCars # 27. . . . . . . . . . ..on the works now !!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . ........
The Following User Says Thank You to mrbigh For This Useful Post:
pnikolaj (05-17-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread