Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #5161 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Hello Everyone,

Here is the post I have been saying was coming.

I have finally finished MY version of the logic board.

I will be starting a new thread in the Revolt section because this is revolt based, But I am changing the name because it is so different.

This will be the "Uprising"!

The new logic board inlcudes alot of features that were not included on the original board. These include:

23 Pin Weatherproof Automotive Connector: One of the biggest things I wanted to include was an easy way to disconnect the controller. I have found an affordable 23 pin weatherproof connector meant for automotive applications.

6 Universal Inputs: Each one of these inputs is capable of accepting a signal from 3.3 to 15v without damage. This means you can feed 5v TTL signals and automotive 12V signals into the controller. Each input is independent of the other so they can be used in any combination. One of these inputs has a special function of accepting a tach input signal.

4 Universal Outputs: Each of these outputs is supplying 12V from the controller, Common to the vehicles 12v system. This means you can easily run indicators that are tied to ground. One of these outputs is wired special for tach output as well.

Ethernet Communication: I have included ethernet communication on the board for easier configuration. Software will provide a web interface that will be accessible from anything device with a web browser (iPhone, Android, ect.)

Built in Pre-Charge: This is done with solid state switching inside the logic board. Just 1 lead to outside the controller, on the live side of the contactor is all thats required.

Bus Voltage Monitoring: The controller measures the voltage inside the controller at the cap. This will be used for pre-charge and for motor and battery voltage limiting.

Universal Driver Output: The output section of the controller took alot of thought. I wanted something flexible, powerful and unlimited. What I came up with I think will fit the bill. The board is capable of driving mosfets directly, indirectly, or driving IGBT driving modules. I think thats everything! Directly, the controller can be connected to 10 or so fets through some simple breakout and everything will work good. Indirectly, There is also the ability to driver remote mosfet drivers at high voltage to resist noise and have alot of drivers. And , IGBT's. The driver chip can be changed out to a non-inverting driver to drive VLA-500 modules, and jumpers reset to provide 5V high current output.

Other Features: I decided to keep serial on the controller because I had room and if people want to poll or tell the controller to do things over simple serial they would still be able to. Throttle section is the same, as well as contactor control, temp sensor, current measurement and under-voltage circuitry.

This controller uses a very different AVR though. I have moved to a Atmega 16. This provides 32 IO, and I used all but 4!

Now, Some of you will be disappointed in my next decision, but believe me, it was not made lightly.

I have designed the board in all surface mount components, except for optos and the DC-DC.

This brings me to my next statement. After prototyping is complete, I will be offering pre built logic boards. These will be professionally assembled on assembly machines. Once a few boards are made and purchased, I hope to always keep a few controllers on hand ready for shipment. They will be tested and loaded with the latest firmware.

Well here are some shots of the schematic and board layout.

Uprising Rev1 by AdamBrunette, on Flickr

Board Layout:

Uprising Rev1 Brd by AdamBrunette, on Flickr

Outside dimensions are 4.5" Wide by 3.5" Tall.

Let me know what you think.

-Adam

P.S. Driver board is done too and I will post about that when I get home (If internet has been restored)

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com

Last edited by adamj12b; 11-04-2011 at 03:30 PM..
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to adamj12b For This Useful Post:
cybershorty (11-04-2011), esoneson (11-04-2011), evimarn (11-05-2011), flores (11-04-2011), LouMan (11-03-2011), mpgmike (01-20-2022), mrbigh (11-03-2011), Nevyn (11-08-2011), pnikolaj (11-03-2011), sawickm (11-03-2011), tugboat (11-05-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #5162 (permalink)
AC-DC enthusiast

Dual-PWR PHEV - '04 Toyota Prius

Kopper - '79 Bradley Bradley GT-II
Superb !!
. . . . . . . .CALCars # 27. . . . . . . . . . ..on the works now !!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . ........
Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #5163 (permalink)
ReVolt Enthusiast

Hi Adam,

Your "Uprising" Controller PCB Layout looks great !!! can't wait to see how it performs !!!

Question, if I wanted to add a TPS, or HEPA throttle to your controller what modifications would I need to make?

Could the next revision of your controller, have a throttle circuit with the option to install either a POT, TPS, and HEPA throttle ???

I know the Soliton and Zilla have that option.

Anxious on seeing your Driver PCB too.

-Mark
Old 11-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #5164 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawickm View Post
Could the next revision of your controller, have a throttle circuit with the option to install either a POT, TPS, and HEPA throttle ???
Hello Mark,

Do you have any information about the common TPS and Hall Sensor? I have never worked with either really.

I would like to include this.

-Adam

Old 11-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #5165 (permalink)
EV Connoisseur

sweeeeet..
Old 11-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #5166 (permalink)
ReVolt Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj12b View Post
Do you have any information about the common TPS and Hall Sensor? I would like to include this. -Adam
Hi Adam,

The info I have is; HEPA = CTS-703, TPS = Wabash-1036. They are both used by Evnetics.

Ref: EV Source - WarP Drive Throttle Devices

-Mark
Old 11-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #5167 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sign.Me.Up.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #5168 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawickm View Post
Hi Adam,

Your "Uprising" Controller PCB Layout looks great !!! can't wait to see how it performs !!!

Question, if I wanted to add a TPS, or HEPA throttle to your controller what modifications would I need to make?

I know the Soliton and Zilla have that option.

Anxious on seeing your Driver PCB too.

-Mark
Alright,

I have updated the Schematic and Board to include dual throttle inputs. This will allow use of HEPA throttles and dual Pot throttle options.

Throttle options should be:

Single 2 Wire Potentiometer
Dual 2 Wire Potentiometer (Inverted or Normal)
Single 3 Wire Potentiometer
Dual 3 Wire Potentiometer (Inverted or Normal)
Single Hall Effect Sensor
Dual Hall Effect Sensor (Inverted or Normal)

If you asked me when I picked the 23 pin connector, If I thought I would ever come even close to filling it, I would have said hell no. LOL well im only 2 pins away from filling it.

I originally had the 4 closest pins to the ones carrying the main pack voltage with nothing in them so nothing could flash over. Well I ended up using the 2 on the next row down. They are now logic grounds. After reading the data sheet for the connector some more, I found the connector can withstand 1000VAC without flashover. I will test and make sure 400VDC doesn't.

The pictures should update themselves.

-Adam

The Following User Says Thank You to adamj12b For This Useful Post:
sawickm (11-04-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #5169 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Adam,
this looks really great and I am sure that it will perform better than it looks.As soon as you are prepared to start producing them give us a call.Thanks.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #5170 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello all,
I'm just putting the finishing touches on my 500A Revolt controller that I got from Paul & Sabrina. It's seems to be working fine and has turned the wheels on my still unfinished 91 Geo metro conversion using a 12V battery. I haven't got the traction pack yet for final testing.
For cooling I've mounted 3 CPU coolers with heatsinks and fans.
My electrical knowledge is limited and I've been unable to come up with a simple way to have the fans automatically come on at 100deg F(40C) or so.
It seems that all the radiator fan controllers start at 160F, which is higher than I would like.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Joe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-5-11 3ea CM XDream 4 CPU coolers added to Revolt controller-1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	9708  
Reply  Post New Thread