Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #7171 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Yes that's a good idea. It would be a configurable parameter. I do have like 10 or 12 of those DC controller boards that can driver 3 of 600v 600amp IGBTs by plugging into them. I have one populated right now. What I am going to do is have a cold plate made, and a professional enclosure and sell them completed. The electronics seem pretty stable and working. That would be very nice to have a little extra income from that. I need to get over the hump of maybe ordering 10 at a time so it doesn't cost a million dollars just for 1. I should be able to do that in a couple months.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #7172 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Yes that's a good idea. It would be a configurable parameter.
Excellent! I look forward to upgrading my controller.

Quote:
I do have like 10 or 12 of those DC controller boards that can driver 3 of 600v 600amp IGBTs by plugging into them. I have one populated right now. What I am going to do is have a cold plate made, and a professional enclosure and sell them completed. The electronics seem pretty stable and working. That would be very nice to have a little extra income from that. I need to get over the hump of maybe ordering 10 at a time so it doesn't cost a million dollars just for 1. I should be able to do that in a couple months.
If I may be so bold ... does anyone want to sign up for one (or more, I guess) of the first lot of 10 IGBT DC Controllers? If it will help you to bring the price down ... I would think there are people interested!

Paul - Are you still calling this a Cougar? Or is that confusing?
Old 07-22-2017, 11:17 PM   #7173 (permalink)
PaulH

I don't have a name. However, I love naming games. Actually, mostly I like when there were naming contests in the past, and then I thought of names that I found really hilarious. My favorite so far is:

The Dynamite, introspective, amazing, radiant, remarkable, hefty, extemporaneous, altruistic motor controller. Or D.I.A.R.R.H.E.A. for short. The tag line could be, "It will give your car the runs!"

I'm always a little nervous about taking money ahead of time. I think it would be better to wait, but I really think I can get the stuff ordered in a couple months (like 2 months hopefully).

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 07-22-2017 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: diarrhea is not spelled diarrhia
Old 07-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #7174 (permalink)
PLUGnGO

Or we you could continue with the big cat theme and call it "Panther"
Positively Awesome n Totally Hot Electric Race Controller
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jedsmd For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (07-23-2017), thingstodo (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #7175 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
I don't have a name. However, I love naming games.
Sorry Paul - I'm not good at naming and *EVEN I* recognize diarrhea as a bad name!

Quote:
I'm always a little nervous about taking money ahead of time. I think it would be better to wait, but I really think I can get the stuff ordered in a couple months (like 2 months hopefully).
I thought the cash up front might help, but if not that's fine.

It would not hurt to have all 10, or 12, of the first production run spoken for before you actually get them built ... but that's just my opinion.

Panther sounds like a pretty good name.
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (07-29-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #7176 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Hi duncan! Yes I can make changes to the controller code for better launches.
I've since much improved how the PI loop works on the AC controller, and that's directly transferable to the DC controller. I'll make the changes and you can test it out.

bad fish racing: It could be the hardware overcurrent protection. Yes I would twist the pot fully clockwise. What current sensor are you using? How are you doing the current sensing? Is it on just one of the 4 IGBTs?
YES PAUL. The hardware overcurrent was turned all the way down. I only recently got near that limit. I turned it up half way to be on the safe side. That did the trick. Between 1000 and 1200 amps all the way down the track. I need to upgrade from the 1/0 motor leads. The cable was very warm and the one ******* splice I had was too hot to touch. It's the hall effect sensor from one of your later designs I believe? Put a few pieces of lexan between the sensor and the buss bar to measure current at the right range. Fake out the controller that it's only pushing 511 amps when it's actually 1275.

Ended up 1 inch out of 2nd place. And that's with going from 170V to 136V over the past couple years. Weeding out the weak cells.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badfishracing For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (07-29-2017), thingstodo (07-30-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #7177 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Paul ,

Im also looking for some strong DC controller like Solitron 1 , but I will be also intresting for your controller, or for build it my self with your logic bord . I have warp 11 and 9 tesla modules. But I need to limmit voltage to 160V , because from battery will be 220v. Is it possible ? warp is abot 160v and I don't want to decrease number of modules.

BG
Matija
Old 07-29-2017, 12:14 PM   #7178 (permalink)
PaulH

That's awesome to hear, badfishracing!! Could you get someone to do a video of your race? I would love to see it!!

If you use 220vDC batteries, you would need at least 300v mosfets, but that's not much headroom. It might be better to just do IGBTs. If you want soliton1 current, I would use 3 600v 600amp IGBTs. I'll be putting together a kit for that soon. I have some boards, and you could follow the instructables here if you were feeling really really really DIY:
200kW AC Motor Controller for Electric Car: 18 Steps (with Pictures)
(instead of the AC board, just use the DC board)
Old 07-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #7179 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Tnx for your quick answer, but car is not running yet , I'm collecting parts and money for al things I need . I saw that DIY and I think is great and it has potential , Ofcourse it need to be with 3 600A IGBT-s
Old 07-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #7180 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I think I can do that DIY, I'm good with mechanical stuff and putting things together. Ordering is also not the problem I can collect those things. I made some small electronic stuff , nothing serious. But this is huge project , If I will be doing that , I will purchase soldered and tested logic board. I don't want to solder my self.

Reply  Post New Thread