Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #991 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
then crazy ben can adjust a variable resistor to change the hardware current limit all the way up to maybe 700 amps. 800 would be the absolute max, but I think that would be irresponsible wit
User controllable current limiting would be GREATLY APPRECIATTED! It really changes the feel of how a car drives!

The Curtis controller has screwdriver adjustable pots on the side for throttle response and max amps. It's nice to have them.

I took the Metro to a showing of WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR? today. Several people were really impressed that I got the car over 65 mph without using gasoline!

PS - I think I friend my Curtis 1209 during my upgrade to 144V. I yanked out the controller from the Citicar to use in it's place. Thats a Curtis 1221 (rebuilt) It lists as a more powerful controller, but I don't think it's any better than the 1209.

If I can't get the 1209 working again, I will need to eventually build a pair of Cougar Controllers! One for the Metro, and one for the Citicar!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #992 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
User controllable current limiting would be GREATLY APPRECIATTED! It really changes the feel of how a car drives!

The Curtis controller has screwdriver adjustable pots on the side for throttle response and max amps. It's nice to have them.

I took the Metro to a showing of WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR? today. Several people were really impressed that I got the car over 65 mph without using gasoline!

PS - I think I friend my Curtis 1209 during my upgrade to 144V. I yanked out the controller from the Citicar to use in it's place. Thats a Curtis 1221 (rebuilt) It lists as a more powerful controller, but I don't think it's any better than the 1209.

If I can't get the 1209 working again, I will need to eventually build a pair of Cougar Controllers! One for the Metro, and one for the Citicar!
OOHH I hope it's not fried. But if it is, I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it for you. I've always wanted to find a way to upgrade a Curtis to a higher power controller, I just haven't got my hands on any yet for a detailed analysis.

Dually Couger controllers probably would be nice and easy to build if you did them at the same time!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #993 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I've heard that it's a PAIN to get the the electronics because of the potting material. I've heard that there's usually a particular mosfet that fails on the Curtis, because it's so far away/ so close or so SOMETHING! to SOMETHING! (I don't know what though hehe).
Old 04-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #994 (permalink)
learning to be ecominded

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Hey Blowncurtis! hehe. That's a great idea! Very very very very very very...
very soon all the details will be layed out in gory uh... detail. I just spoke to one of the most wonderful people in the whole universe that is doing the PCB layout right now!! LIke now as I type! He sent me some screen shots of it. I'm sort of excited. Sort of really really really excited. really excited, actually. Once some PCBs get made, it will be relatively straightforward to do the control section, and then the power section will be not too bad either! Heck ya dude!

Then we will be able to power an LED! haha! An LED that can be seen from PLUTO!
So Paul if the PCB is a sucess would it also be open source so that people could etch their own PCS's ? Ive never stopped losing interest in this thread. It's just I've had so many irons in the fire lately that it gets hard to keep all the irons hot
Old 04-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #995 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Paul,

Another member mentioned how it's not christmas anymore.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:35 AM   #996 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brihoo2k View Post
So Paul if the PCB is a success would it also be open source so that people could etch their own PCS's ? I've never stopped losing interest in this thread. It's just I've had so many irons in the fire lately that it gets hard to keep all the irons hot
You've never stopped losing interest!? That's terrible! hehe.
Yes, it will be open source! It will be such open sores that you will have to go to the special doctor that deals with "wounds that just won't heal". You can etch it yourself if you want! That sounds good to me! Heck! If you can etch a bunch cheaper than some PCB house, and then make a profit by selling them cheaper than anybody else, then the ultimate goal of cheaper electric cars is closer to being reached. No pressure, you don't have to mass produce them. I'm just saying...

My main goal is go outside and not have it stink like exhaust. I live in my mother-in-law's basement. Do you really think I would have the ability to make any wise financial decisions? hahaha!

But seriously forks, I would like to etch power sections and assemble controllers to various levels of done-ness (is that a word?) on demand for the DIYer. If I can't do it cheaper xor (hehe) better than the chinese or some other random person or company, then ship the dang stuff to them and have them do it! ya!

Just remember, keep your eye on the prize! "No stinky outsidey!!!!!!"

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 04-20-2009 at 01:21 AM..
Old 04-20-2009, 03:55 AM   #997 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Paul My blown Curtis is a 1231c no real problems in opening it up warm up the compound at the terminal end with a heat gun (the kind they use for burning paint) when it's warm it is flexible cut around the terminals and the inside of the case and prise the end out then take out the potting mix or in my case rubber plugs that cover the screws undo the 8 screws and the works will slide out if you want to get to the capacitors you have to carefully cut the silicone that is holding down the cardboard covering in my case I have found a burnout in the circuit board and a faulty diode I am now assembling it and will test it tomorow
Old 04-20-2009, 04:54 AM   #998 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up Absolutely Amazed!

Paul,

I stumbled on this thread Saturday evening about 9:30pm. For some reason my eyes were feeling rough and the back of my neck started to ache around 2:30am. Finally got to the end around 6am.

I am absolutely amazed at the work you've done and the team that's come together for this project! So...I joined so I could tell you that you have another donation paypalling it's way to you.

Way to go everyone!
Andy

Last edited by AndyH; 04-20-2009 at 05:02 AM..
Old 04-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #999 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

GreenMile - '00 Mazda Protege ES
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)
Oh man, only one more post till a 1000 on this thread!

(sorry for the trolling

Please come visit and comment!
Old 04-20-2009, 08:47 AM   #1000 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Yeah, i'm still on board for soldering up your controller sections. Order them from the board house directly to my adress and ship me the components and I'll send back the completed boards asap.

edit: yay1000!!!

Reply  Post New Thread