Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2017, 12:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I've never used the brake to assist with hills.
I use it quite often. Last time I had to not use it was when I took my driving license test. Since my knees become quite painful sometimes, it feels quite discomfortable not being able to use the handbrake to assist on hill starts.

Quote:
Even large hills, I'll roll back no more than a few centimeters. Just rev the engine and quickly let out the clutch to the point that at least the car isn't rolling backwards.
Wasting more fuel and increasing clutch wear? I prefer to avoid that. Unfortunately, when I have to drive my dad's currently vehicle, I have no choice. It's an old Nissan XTerra with a regionally-sourced Diesel engine and 5-speed manual transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
The handbrake takes up valuable cupholder real estate- and the transmission itself takes up (apparently) valuable mental real estate, forcing people to pay attention to the vehicle they're allegedly operating, plan more than half a second ahead and other non-Facebooky type things.
And it's often easier to implement some "space-saving" shifter, either a rotary-dial one which has been more common on newer models or a traditional collumn-shifter. OK, I know there were vehicles with manual transmission that had collumn-shifters, but the amount of gears in the newer ones would render this feature unpractical and harder to operate than a floor-shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Our '14 Prius has a small, hanging, pedal...like european 'small' manual tranny pedals.
It was quite surprising to me when I figured out the Prius and the Lexus CT200h have a pedal-operated parking brake, a feature which I saw more often on trucks.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-01-2017, 01:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts

My first car was a 1950 Studebaker. It had a hill holder:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill-holder
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
samwichse (08-03-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 01:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Those bullet-nose Studebakers seem to be far more advanced than I thought they were. Hill holders are becoming widespread in my country only recently.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
...a traditional collumn-shifter
Traditional? Another thing I can't remember having seen since the '60s - except, oddly enough, on the U-Haul truck my neigbor rented for moving. Took me a while to figure out where the shift lever was.

Last edited by jamesqf; 08-04-2017 at 01:28 PM..
Old 08-04-2017, 12:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Another thing I can't remember having seen since the '60s - except, oddly enough, on the U-Haul truck my neigbor rented for moving. Took me a while to figure out where the shift lever was.
Well, even though nowadays its use has been pretty much restricted to full-size GM trucks, it used to be quite common even for some passenger cars (mostly full-sizes and fleet cars) until the early 2000s.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
...it used to be quite common even for some passenger cars (mostly full-sizes and fleet cars) until the early 2000s.
That explains why I've never encountered it - I don't do "full-size" vehicles :-)
Old 08-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Another thing the 1950 Studebaker had. That, and a deeply recessed dash — like a Tucker. They were competing with Nash, and it's reclining seats, for the drive-in movie-goers.

Note also the suicide rear doors on the four-door.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
My parents had a 1951 four door which they bought while in Panama. It was a made-in-Canada 6-cylinder model with 3-speed column shifter...and NO heater. When we moved from Panama back to the USA and settled in San Francisco, CA, Dad and I had to order and install the Studebaker "heater kit" which sat right under the front passenger seat, blowing air forward and backward into cabin areas.

Both my Dad and I referred to it as 'Old Bullet Nose.'
Old 08-04-2017, 10:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mine said 'Snake Pit' right on the rear fender.

My grandmother had a 1951 2-door sedan; she traded it for a Ford Falcon without giving me a shot at it. I was driving a 1953 Plymouth convertible at the time.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

IIRC my dad learned how to drive on a Brazilian Chevrolet C-10 with that local 2-door double-cab and 3-on-the-tree. Similar to this blue one, but that was white, issued to my grandpa by the governmental agency where he worked. IIRC those were fitted from the factory with an under-dash parking brake lever.

Subsequent square-bodied Chevy trucks turned to the pedal-controlled parking brake, which IMO are a PITA when fitted to a vehicle with manual transmission for anyone who can't do the punta-tacco (or heel-toe).

Dad currently owns a Nissan XTerra fitted with a locally-sourced Diesel engine and a 5-speed manual transmission, and sometimes it does become a PITA to start uphill. Sometimes I actually consider converting its parking brake from pedal-controlled to hand-controlled.

Reply  Post New Thread