Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2022, 10:16 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Would you prefer health advice from Steve Jobs?
Touche.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-07-2022, 11:01 AM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
I got a new computer last month and...oh god Windows 11 is horrible, the UI is just unusable. I installed Windows 10 instead.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:17 AM   #53 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Denny's Detector - '08 Mercury Grand Marquis

Taserface - '17 Chevy Volt
The oldest part is from 2002 (keyboard) but it's changed a lot over the years. I don't upgrade everything in one go.

The case, SATA SSDs, HDD, and PSU are from 2018, the ram from 2015, the mobo from 2020, the CPU 2021, the Nvme SSD from 2019, the GPU from 2017, the monitors from 2015, 2021, and 2022, the camera from 2014, the mic from 2019, the mixer from 2004.

Old 05-09-2022, 01:41 AM   #54 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
The fourth screen is off-center so you can have the box fan blow fresh air in your general direction?

I felt surprised when I saw that Linus Sebastion (Linus Tech Tips) used a camera like that at home.

I have a Razer webcam. I don't have any idea how everything compares. I paid $100 and then saw a similar-looking one at Big Lots for $20.

Both have ring lights, but it looks like the Packard Bell one, which is discounted to $12(!) is much smaller, so that ring light would be more like a flashlight.

Also, I cannot find anyone saying what the framerate is.

That doesn't sound encouraging.

The ring light is dimmable, but it is on the cord, which makes sense for a headset, but not something behind your monitor.

Neither Walmart or Amazon carry it, but the former has a similar-looking onnnnn unit which allegedly does 2,560x1,440 at 30hz for $30.

That wasn't available when I bought mine!

Razer says it was the webcam of the year in 2020, but I can only find results for 2021 and 2022. Apparently they doubled the framerate, but also doubled the price.

Additionally, they replaced the ring light with a sensor.

If that produces the same-quality image without a bright light in my eyes I am in!

The onn webcam is only rated 4 stars, but a clearance vinsic one looks similar, boasts 4k, and is the same price.

Clearance.

Also not sold in-store.

My webcam is out-of-stock, but rated 5 stars. However, someone on the marketplace has it for $66.88, although somehow it is only rated 4.1.

I tried long and hard to find an ultrawide monitor so I could have all of my data visible when I write progress reports, but my Samsung 4k television was significantly cheaper, with much more area.

I would love a curved screen.

Does anyone have a curved screen?

Mom randomly stopped on a clip from a clip show, like some niche community's answer to SNL, because world-class comedians are hit and miss.

Absolute nobodies are totally worth watching!

Some guy found a genie and wished for $1,000,000, a big curved television, and a werelephant.

The television looks 32" and the guy acted underwhelmed, like a curved television wasn't lifechanging, like he had hoped.

I just cannot imagine wishing for a television, but maybe "I wish for all of the information that I need to produce 50" curved 8k televisions when I was 6!"
Old 05-09-2022, 02:03 AM   #55 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Man View Post
The oldest part is from 2002 (keyboard) but it's changed a lot over the years.
Oh, how a wish a laptop keyboard would last that long... Too bad my father lost a flexible waterproof keyboard that I bought in 2009, just a few months after I bought it, and now it's hard to find those as they seemingly went out of fashion
Old 05-09-2022, 03:55 AM   #56 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Oh, how a wish a laptop keyboard would last that long... Too bad my father lost a flexible waterproof keyboard that I bought in 2009, just a few months after I bought it, and now it's hard to find those as they seemingly went out of fashion
It's a Kinesis advantage.
https://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index...erm-evaluation

It has mechanical switches. It's going to last longer.

My sister has a keyboard from like 1986 I got from someone for free, an IBM model M I gave to her because I was tired of keyboards dying on her. That was about 7 years ago. Front room computer is running a 18 year old dell keyboard.

The Following User Says Thank You to H-Man For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 04:04 AM   #57 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
The fourth screen is off-center so you can have the box fan blow fresh air in your general direction?
The monitor up top is like that because I wanted to have my camera on the centerline of the center monitor and for airflow from the fan since that's my cooling for 90% of the year. Putting the monitor center makes it hard for my 5 and a half foot tall butt to reach the window, plus it cuts airflow drastically. I've got a volt and an AC unit old enough to vote, my electric bill is high enough so I run AC minimally (granted, once I got on estrogen I became a lot more tolerant of the heat).
Quote:
I have a Razer webcam. I don't have any idea how everything compares. I paid $100 and then saw a similar-looking one at Big Lots for $20.

Both have ring lights, but it looks like the Packard Bell one, which is discounted to $12(!) is much smaller, so that ring light would be more like a flashlight.

Also, I cannot find anyone saying what the framerate is.

That doesn't sound encouraging.

The ring light is dimmable, but it is on the cord, which makes sense for a headset, but not something behind your monitor.

Neither Walmart or Amazon carry it, but the former has a similar-looking onnnnn unit which allegedly does 2,560x1,440 at 30hz for $30.

That wasn't available when I bought mine!

Razer says it was the webcam of the year in 2020, but I can only find results for 2021 and 2022. Apparently they doubled the framerate, but also doubled the price.

Additionally, they replaced the ring light with a sensor.

If that produces the same-quality image without a bright light in my eyes I am in!

The onn webcam is only rated 4 stars, but a clearance vinsic one looks similar, boasts 4k, and is the same price.

Clearance.

Also not sold in-store.

My webcam is out-of-stock, but rated 5 stars. However, someone on the marketplace has it for $66.88, although somehow it is only rated 4.1.
I use a sony alpha 6000 and a HDMI capture stick. I don't need bright lighting, my monitors are enough to cover it since the sensor on this is so sensitive. Only does 1080p60 but it's so clear that it's production quality, I just use it to chat with fellow girls (AKA chats with like 7 other topless lesbians-- don't worry, my 3 GFs are okay with it), the sensor size is large so low noise and all that. I had the camera on hand and this ended up only costing me about as much extra as buying a webcam.
Quote:
I tried long and hard to find an ultrawide monitor so I could have all of my data visible when I write progress reports, but my Samsung 4k television was significantly cheaper, with much more area.

I would love a curved screen.

Does anyone have a curved screen?

Mom randomly stopped on a clip from a clip show, like some niche community's answer to SNL, because world-class comedians are hit and miss.

Absolute nobodies are totally worth watching!

Some guy found a genie and wished for $1,000,000, a big curved television, and a werelephant.

The television looks 32" and the guy acted underwhelmed, like a curved television wasn't lifechanging, like he had hoped.

I just cannot imagine wishing for a television, but maybe "I wish for all of the information that I need to produce 50" curved 8k televisions when I was 6!"
I had a 34" ultrawide 1440p that was curved. Don't miss the curve, and the panel sucked horribly, the 2560x1440p I went back to had a clearer picture and that monitor was from 2011, replaced because I needed displayport for work laptop. Ultrawide had a fall and broke, and I went to the 3x2560x1440p setup because the 2 acers on the side were $160 ea and the center HP was like $220 or something silly cheap.

Old 05-09-2022, 04:17 AM   #58 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Of note: the thing is so sensitive that I was able to get a usable picture in a room lit by just one monitor. I had to turn stuff down extremely to get stuff properly dim. if I can get a autofocus f/1.4 lens, I'll be able to do some amazing low light stuff. (as it is, running a f/1.2 is amazing for it, but it's manual focus and thus bloody hard to get in focus at close range, the depth of field is about 3" at 24" distance from me)

Old 05-09-2022, 05:52 AM   #59 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
It's a Kinesis advantage.
https://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index...erm-evaluation

My sister has a keyboard from like 1986 I got from someone for free, an IBM model M I gave to her because I was tired of keyboards dying on her. That was about 7 years ago. Front room computer is running a 18 year old dell keyboard.
Tell me about it! On my desktop I have an old PC Concepts PS/2 keyboard with a built-in trackpad that still works great! I did drop it really hard once and it stopped working. I took it apart and saw what had shifted over and I just put it back together and it works fine again.

On the other hand, I've had nothing but problems with the three last laptop keyboards I've had. The last one didn't even last a whole year, so I got it replaced. But now it has stopped working again. I can't get a single key to work. It's still under warranty so I'll call tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:18 PM   #60 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:

Unless I went looking for used stuff, which occasionally may have its price increased under the argument of being "vintage", the only mechanical keyboards I may be able to find for sale locally target the gamer folks, and so they also have an overprice

What I liked about that flexible waterproof keyboard is that it was much easier to keep clean.

Reply  Post New Thread